Dry weight and GVWR? - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #1

Name: Joe
Trailer: Casita 17' SD
Arizona
Dry weight and GVWR?

My '04 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4.7L A/T 4x4 Factory Tow Pkg is not considered a full size pick up truck. It is called a 7/8 instead of a 1/2 ton. My owners manual states only 7000 lbs towing ability. The Big Foot 25B21FB model [21'front bed room] has a GVWR of 7500 lbs. The dry weight of this trailer is about 4500 lbs. The weight of my truck with camper shell is 5900 lbs with all my camping stuff. Can I successfully tow this trailer if I don't load her up with liquids? I'm a Snowbird and travel from Oregon to Arizona every year. The 6% grades are already killers with me towing my 17' Casita on I5 hwy. I don't want to ruin my automatic transmission towing something too heavy and I have a hard time understanding GVWR?

Old 02-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #2

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
You might find this of interest. You need to be concerned with
Quote:
GVWR: Gross Vehicle Weight Rating

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is the maximum number that the GVW or GTW should never exceed. GVWR is applied to trailers as well as vehicles, but you may see this rating referred to as the Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight.
Understanding RV Weights

Old 02-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #3

Name: grant
Trailer: 13' burro, 13' casita, 20' nomad f/w
Texas
You might check with your Insurance Agent, some if not all have a clause of cancellation, In case of a accident, as you are exceeding, vehicle: GVWR.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #4

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 'Spirit Deluxe
California
Not only is the trailer much heavier, you will also have a much larger frontal area with the Bigfoot, further taxing your truck.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #5

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Take a look at the Trailer Weights in the Real World for listing of trailers weighed in on arrival at fiberglass trailer meets loaded for camping. Most were done at a location with water and electrical hook ups so dont know why anyone would have towed their trailer there with liquids in in it.

Sadly only one Bigfoot 21 has been weighed so far and it came in at 6360 lbs with 1160lbs of that on the tongue.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #6

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Joe View Post
My '04 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4.7L A/T 4x4 Factory Tow Pkg is not considered a full size pick up truck. It is called a 7/8 instead of a 1/2 ton. My owners manual states only 7000 lbs towing ability. The Big Foot 25B21FB model [21'front bed room] has a GVWR of 7500 lbs. The dry weight of this trailer is about 4500 lbs. The weight of my truck with camper shell is 5900 lbs with all my camping stuff. Can I successfully tow this trailer if I don't load her up with liquids? I'm a Snowbird and travel from Oregon to Arizona every year. The 6% grades are already killers with me towing my 17' Casita on I5 hwy. I don't want to ruin my automatic transmission towing something too heavy and I have a hard time understanding GVWR?
I'm a little confused by the "not considered a full size pick up truck. It is called a 7/8 instead of a 1/2 ton. " statement...isn't 7/8's more than 1/2?

At any rate:
You don't state the gross weight limit of the truck itself- that important starting info should be on the doorpost, and the total load including passengers, cap, cargo, and trailer tongue must not exceed that number.

The total towed weight of the trailer is the next consideration, assuming the first set of numbers comes in satisfactorily.

In my opinion, a Bigfoot 25 is likely to exceed your stated tow limit- there's one listed in the "Trailer weights" thread that weighs almost 8,000 pounds, and has a tongue weight of over a thousand pounds. Since that tongue number must come right off the top of your truck's allowed total, I think you're likely to exceed your truck's gross weight before you even need consider the trailer's!

You might find the "Tow limit Calculator" link in my signature below to be useful while you're considering all these options...

Good luck!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #7

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcssr39 View Post
You might check with your Insurance Agent, some if not all have a clause of cancellation, In case of a accident, as you are exceeding, vehicle: GVWR.
Joe hasn't even listed the truck's GVWR, let alone exceeded it. He has not suggested exceeding the trailer's GVWR, which is 3000 pounds above the dry weight. The GVWR values of the truck and trailer are, of course, not the only limits to be watched, but there is no GVWR problem apparent yet.

The truck's maximum trailer weight is a limit on the actual gross weight of the trailer, which will be something greater than 4500 pounds; it has nothing to do with the trailer's gross weight rating (GVWR), because the truck doesn't care what the trailer's sticker says, only what it actually weighs.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #8

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
In my opinion, a Bigfoot 25 is likely to exceed your stated tow limit- there's one listed in the "Trailer weights" thread that weighs almost 8,000 pounds,
Francesca
Francesca the OP has a 25B21FB model which as he correctly stated is "[21'front bed room]".

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight