Dual hitch (Receiver) extension - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2018, 10:27 AM   #1

Name: barry
Trailer: Casita
CO
Dual hitch (Receiver) extension

Newbie here. Has anyone ever used a Reese or other brand, dual hitch receiver extension? Creates TWO receivers, one for the trailer and the other (On top of the main one) for a hitch mount bike rack (Thule, Yakima, etc.) or small cargo platform (For generator, cooler, etc.). The 4" square Casita bumper is said to not be very strong to add a receiver bolt on "thingy" that a bike rack can slide into. Trying to save $$$ and reinforcing the bumper to the frame requires welding and $$ for a welder to do it. Reese version says maximum tongue weight is 400 lbs. Might be close to 500 lbs. if I use it for a bike rack and bike or platform and 2000 watt generator. Thoughts please.
Bamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:50 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Some of those dual receivers are marked that they reduce the capacity of the vehicle receiver by 50%. Some are not marked. Think of the leverage principle for that statement. I have one and don't even like using it with our teardrop that only weighs 650lb. No way would use it with our Casita.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:14 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Orbital Machine Works makes a rear receiver platform that bolts directly to the Casita frame, not the bumper.
Casita Hitch Receiver

I agree that using any hitch extender-type device on a trailer already known for an unusually high tongue weight is a bad idea. The average tongue weight is already over 400 pounds. Now you're talking about adding 100-150 pounds of bikes, rack, and generator.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:27 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
You don't say what your TV is. If it's a one ton truck with a class five receiver, you won't break it, but still, I don't like extended hitches, and especially when you plan to load it up with a generator. It creates a lot of leverage on the TV and less stability. Might be worse though, if you install a receiver on the back of your Casita and hang that much weight there. Then you may have an unstable trailer.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:34 AM   #5

Name: Dan
Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25B25RQ
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Orbital Machine Works makes a rear receiver platform that bolts directly to the Casita frame, not the bumper.
Casita Hitch Receiver
We added the Orbital Machine Works hitch to our Casita. Never carried anything but a bike and bike rack. Had no problems, though it was a driveway scraper when something was on it until we added the lift kit and 15" wheels and tires. A high axle Casita might not have that problem.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:38 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I have a double hitch that I used to tow a car on a dolly when I had my motor home. There's not a lot of separation between the two levels making hooking up and unhooking very difficult. Besides, unless you extend the lower hitch quite a bit, thus creating the weight distribution problems mentioned by others, you don't really have room for anything on the upper receiver. The tongue Jack and propane tanks will be too close.

We welded a hitch to the back of our Casita. The Orbital machine Works one was not available at the time. With two bikes, our hitch weight was 315 pounds on our 2009 FD 17. The only downside to the back rack for us was that the bikes picked up a lot of road debris.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:55 PM   #7

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
I thought about doing that. Then I thought about a longer receiver (just a few inches) and buying a bike rack that clamps onto it (no dual setup). I eventually ended up with a hitch on the back of the egg for bikes.

My previous camper was a Casita and I installed the bolt on OMW receiver hitch to the frame as mentioned above. I loved it - carried the bikes very well!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:02 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
...Might be worse though, if you install a receiver on the back of your Casita and hang that much weight there. Then you may have an unstable trailer.
Good point. I was assuming the OP was talking about a Casita 17, which has a naturally high tongue weight and relatively short rear overhang, not likely bothered by a couple of bikes on the back (unless they're unusually heavy). But I checked the user profile and it just says "Casita." If it's a 16' or a 13', it could be more of a problem.

I wasn't thinking of putting the generator back there, either. It could be carried over the LP tanks or locked inside out of sight for security. That would split the weight nicely.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Good point. I was assuming the OP was talking about a Casita 17, which has a naturally high tongue weight and relatively short rear overhang, not likely bothered by a couple of bikes on the back (unless they're unusually heavy). But I checked the user profile and it just says "Casita." If it's a 16' or a 13', it could be more of a problem.

I wasn't thinking of putting the generator back there, either. It could be carried over the LP tanks or locked inside out of sight for security. That would split the weight nicely.
And you can overload a 17'. My original design was to put a platform on the receiver to carry my Segway at just over 100 pounds. That was too much as I could feel the impact when I drove. The bikes worked a lot better since they were lighter and balanced the trailer perfectly. Besides, the bikes didn't fit well in the bed of the truck.

I cringe when I see some rigs with a bunch of heavy stuff on the back of any trailer.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:34 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I welded a receiver tube on top of my trailer hitch when I had the suv. Put the stinger for the trailer in the bottom hole and the bike rack in the top hole. It worked well but I had to be careful with how the bikes were positioned and where the bike peddles were located. the outer wheels had to be properly positioned so nit to hit the trailer on tight turns and had to be mounted high enough to clear the propane bottles. It all worked well and so much better than hanging stuff off the back of the trailer. Towing a 13 foot Scamp i was not pushing my hitch weight or towing capacity so all was good.

Now I tow with a pick-up so I don't have to deal with all that nonsense.

In welding the tube on top I wasn't extending the the leverage on the receiver coupler.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:42 PM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Most of the time I carry two bikes in the pickup bed. The Orbital rear receiver looks well made, but because of the price and shipping I built my own. So far have only carried one bike on the rear and only a short distance with no problem. Our bikes are almost new and about $300 each so I prefer carrying them under cover where they are out of the weather. Truck has a cap on it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:43 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
The farther back of the TV rear axle the hitch ball is the greater tendency for trailer sway.
Check with Floyd for an idea for a bike rack that goes on the trailer above the LP tanks and battery.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote