Economical Tow Vehicle - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #71
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Always interested in what goes on in the RV industry. Can you provide a link to the issue above. Would like to read about it. Thnxs in advance Carol.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #72

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Well, after watching the video of the bike pulling the baby airstream around the lot - and noting that it appears to be from can-Am - I think my views oof Can-Am are vindicated.

They in fact DO seem to favor towing anything with anything, and would see nothing wrong with trying to tow a 40 footer through the mountains (sans any form of brakes) behind a Vespa.

Sorry if I offended anyone on here who will now chime in to say that they have been doing exactly that for 25 years and never had an issue!
Dave;
Do you remember "No Big Thing"?? It was a Vespa with a 427CID L88 big block Chevy in it. Something you said reminded me of it!
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #73

IllAnnoy
Registry
One point which I have noticed... The newer late model braking systems simply don't provide the service life of their predecessors.
I discussed this with a couple of suppliers.(I usually use Raybestos best brakes)
One sees the trend and thinks the cause is inexplicable. The other sees the trend and contends that the cause lies in electronic brake controls, such as ABS,ESC, and traction controls.
That assertion has some credence.
I too am a "trained" Mechanic , but I still sometimes find myself in places with no indoor plumbing
Old 05-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #74

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
One point which I have noticed... The newer late model braking systems simply don't provide the service life of their predecessors.
I discussed this with a couple of suppliers.(I usually use Raybestos best brakes)
One sees the trend and thinks the cause is inexplicable. The other sees the trend and contends that the cause lies in electronic brake controls, such as ABS,ESC, and traction controls.
I too am a "trained" Mechanic , but I still sometimes find myself in places with no indoor plumbing
You may be onto something Floyd - the topic of newer traction control and ABS did come up at my last visit to the brake shop.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #75

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd
My experience is just the opposite -- the more modern vehicles I have owned have had far better brakes, both in braking power and longevity -- than the older, and still well maintained cars I have owned in the past. I have owned a handful of Mercedes sedans, and always used high quality Pagid and Jurid pads. I was lucky to get 40,000 miles out of a set of pads... Usually more like 35,000 miles. My 2003 VW was the first car I owned with ABS, and the brake pads were replaced at about 120,000 miles. My 2003 Sprinter Van (ABS and traction control) required pads around 90,000 miles, and it regularly hauled 6,000 pound loads on interstate trips (multiple times per month for a few years). My Toyota/Scion xD's brake pads had lots of meat left at 75,000 miles -- and that one had ABS, VSC, and traction control (and I towed three different non-braked trailers with it). My 2011 Outback only has 18,000 miles, so I have no idea how long the brakes will last.

The thing about ABS, traction control, and stability control is that they ONLY use the brakes when there is a problem. Many drivers have never experienced TheirnABS brakes working, or stability control for that matter. I don't see how they would affect the brake pad life unless they were malfunctioning.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #76

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Quote:
Could it be due to our customers and their stupid driving habits?

Full throttle to a dead stop- then repeat.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #77

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 841K9

Could it be due to our customers and their stupid driving habits?

Full throttle to a dead stop- then repeat.
This probably has a lot to do with it... Especially since most modern cars have 200+ horsepower engines that they really don't need, so they have the ability to burn more gas and require more braking between traffic lights/stop signs.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #78

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
My '08 Highlander's brakes lasted just about 100K miles. About 85% towing mileage. Way better brakes than anything I've owned before, both in effectiveness and longevity. Way better than on my Ford product, Floyd! (sorry, couldn't resist throwing that in!)
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #79

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
My experience is just the opposite .
Shocking ain't it?

For the last forty years or so I was used to getting 100,000 out of the stock front pads and twice that from the rear shoes. Lately though I have seen a significant reduction in both mine and others which I have serviced.
Who knows? These are, at best anecdotal observations, so far.

I have always driven manual transmissions and so generally subscribe to the SCCA braking credo... Brake,late, hard and seldom!(except when towing)Of course retirement pretty much keeps me out of rush hour these days.
BTW;First I've heard of Pagid or Jurid pads,but then I can only afford Fords.
It's always good to hear all sides!
Old 05-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #80

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd

Shocking ain't it?

For the last forty years or so I was used to getting 100,000 out of the stock front pads and twice that from the rear shoes. Lately though I have seen a significant reduction in both mine and others which I have serviced.
Who knows? These are, at best anecdotal observations, so far.

I have always driven manual transmissions and so generally subscribe to the SCCA braking credo... Brake,late, hard and seldom!(except when towing)Of course retirement pretty much keeps me out of rush hour these days.
BTW;First I've heard of Pagid or Jurid pads,but then I can only afford Fords.
It's always good to hear all sides!
It's not about what you can afford. I bought my last Mercedes for $3,000 at 200,000 miles. I drove it another 220,000 miles and sold it for $3,500. Along the way, it was "totaled" in an accident and my insurance company ended up writing me a check for $10,500 for it (and let me keep and repair the car). I sold it in 2002, and the current owner has been driving it daily ever since. My father still services it (well, I should say he -now- services it, as I did all of my own service for the six years I owned it. Cheapest car I've ever owned!

By the way, the car has well over 600,000 miles on it, and the owner is thinking of dropping a rebuilt engine in it since the original engine has developed an odd noise.

Oh, and that car has a custom class 3 hitch on it. Towed other Mercedes on a dolly with it many times... Sometimes on interstate trips.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #81

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
It's not about what you can afford. I bought my last Mercedes for $3,000 at 200,000 miles. I drove it another 220,000 miles and sold it for $3,500. Along the way, it was "totaled" in an accident and my insurance company ended up writing me a check for $10,500 for it (and let me keep and repair the car). I sold it in 2002, and the current owner has been driving it daily ever since. My father still services it (well, I should say he -now- services it, as I did all of my own service for the six years I owned it. Cheapest car I've ever owned!

By the way, the car has well over 600,000 miles on it, and the owner is thinking of dropping a rebuilt engine in it since the original engine has developed an odd noise.

Oh, and that car has a custom class 3 hitch on it. Towed other Mercedes on a dolly with it many times... Sometimes on interstate trips.
It is about what you can afford, not all about price, I can't afford less than the best reliability. If I wanted a foreign taxi, I'd go for one of those London types.
How much is a Brazillian anyway?
Old 05-07-2012, 11:49 PM   #82

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Quote:
It is about what you can afford, not all about price, I can't afford less than the best reliability.
And yet you like Fords???? (sorry, Floyd - that one was just wide open, and I lack the willpower to resist)
Old 05-07-2012, 11:56 PM   #83

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Quote:
Dave;
Do you remember "No Big Thing"?? It was a Vespa with a 427CID L88 big block Chevy in it. Something you said reminded me of it!
Ahhhh - the Good ol' days. The gasser wars. Stone/Woods/Cook vs Mazmanian. The Fuel Altereds like Wild Willy Borsch & the Winged Express

Sigh......
Old 05-07-2012, 11:59 PM   #84

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Ahhhh - the Good ol' days. The gasser wars. Stone/Woods/Cook vs Mazmanian. The Fuel Altereds like Wild Willy Borsch & the Winged Express

Sigh......
They actually sold tickets and raffled that car off for charity over in Kankakee a few years ago!