Economical Tow Vehicle - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #99

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Floyd are you speed reading again! perhaps you missed where it reads "quotes Richard Alexander, a major injury trial attorney in San Jose, California. " and "for more info (For more about this subject go to San Jose Personal Injury Lawyer : San Francisco Injury Attorney : Alexander Hawes, LLP.) "

Unless Mr. Alexander has had his law licence suspended since this was written I suspect its a good bet he has the credentials to speak to this topic.

As one member here likes to saw on this topic "As to liability, one should not live in fear but rather embrace knowledge."

I totally agree with that & suggest that it would be very hard for someone to make a decision in regards to what level of liability they wish to take if they dont have the knowledge of what the laws of liability are.
Never was much a fan of Evelyn Woods, but I must admit to less than a perusal effort. Upon a second look I did see the quote made in Bruce's article from Mr Alexander. Bruce's credentials are also stated in the article... he can type.
As for Mr. Alexander...I am not from California, but I have yet to see a trailer behind an ambulance.
Bear in mind, that I have not advocated towing beyond the capacity of any Tow Vehicle, and have been exasperated in my attempt to get anyone here to define terms. Especially when applied to capacity and rating, or quotes and enumerated references.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #100

Name: john
Trailer: Boler
Arizona
Until we upgraded last year with a Subaru outback ( 4 cylinder), we towed our 13' Boler with a 4 cylinder Volkswagon Passat. We went up and down the Rockies for a month, no problems, and no brakes on the Boler. Ours weighs around 1500 lbs loaded.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #101

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Wow I am slow at typing just finished my post from three prior posts
Old 05-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #102

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
"The question is was is it legal, is it safe and yes it was"
"Will 4 cyl do the job for 13' boler and yes many can"
Old 05-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #103

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Carol H my setup is legal in Ontario Canada do not know if that would be the same in San Francisco. .
Thank you for highlighting the fundamental problem with this type of thread & why I posted the information on legal liability.

Over and over people here will say there are no laws stopping you from towing over your vehicles towing specifications so they wrongfully assume there cant be any legal problems in their future in regards to towing over the vehicles towing specs.

Borden I strongly suggest you find out what your trailer really weighs and read the laws of liability in Canada (believe you will find there isn't a great deal of difference between those in the USA) and then decide if the risk is worth taking.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #104

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I see much alarm about "over-the-limit towing" posts with small vehicles, and I agree that disclaimers might be a good thing. So I have now added one to my signature. Anyone who posts about towing with a low-tow-rating vehicle might want to do the same if it will help some others feel better about things. After all, we don't want newbies to get the wrong idea; we aren't gurus to be followed literally, right? Happily, a disclaimer in the sig line will apply retroactively into all previous posts!

So now I can talk about towing a 32' trailer with a Fiat 500, and nobody can say that I'm misleading anyone!
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #105

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2006 Escape 17 B Raven and a Pearl
Alberta
any helpful advice

There has to be some good advice out there somewhere.

Any recomendations for a small SUV that can and should be towing up to 3500#'s??

i know my surfside is well under that but someday i may move up to a 17 foot escape so 3500# would suite my comfort level

toyota rav 4, escape , mitsubishi outlander ......Others ??? experience??
Old 05-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #106

Name: john
Trailer: Boler
Arizona
Mike M,

Great idea about the disclaimer. None of us are experts and can only share our own personal experiences and opinions...

John...
Disclaimer: I do not hold myself out as an expert on any subject. Thus my posts are not intended to be construed as advice and are for entertainment purposes only.

I am a drawing enthusiast, so come support my drawing blog at www.j-drwaingaday.blogspot.com
Old 05-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #107

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan in alberta View Post

Any recomendations for a small SUV that can and should be towing up to 3500#'s??

i know my surfside is well under that but someday i may move up to a 17 foot escape so 3500# would suite my comfort level

On the "Trailer Weights" spreadsheet, there is an Escape 17' plan "B" that I weighed 3 times over 3 years. It is being towed by a Toyota Rav4. The reason it was reweighed is that the owner made changes to reduce weight. These items on that spreadsheet are actually in reverse chronological order, but the spreadsheet is in increasing weight order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
This is a spreadsheet of all of the weigh-in results that I have from the past several years.

Sorted 1st by TOTAL, 2nd by TONGUE, and 3rd by Length

Items 35, 42, & 50 are the same trailer, it was weighed 3 times

Items 50...... These ... trailers had a FULL fresh water tank up front

ITEM_LENGTH_MAKE_______MODEL________AXLE__TONGUE__ __TOTAL

35___17_____Escape_____Plan B_______2340_____320_____2660

42___17_____Escape_____Plan B_______2500_____340_____2840

50___17_____Escape_____Plan B_______2500_____500*____3000
Old 05-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #108

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Borden I strongly suggest you find out what your trailer really weighs and read the laws of liability in Canada (believe you will find there isn't a great deal of difference between those in the USA) and then decide if the risk is worth taking.
That may be true, but everyone in Canada is legally obligated to have liability insurance. I am not sure what the minimum coverage is, but $1000000, is what I have. The step up to the million mark was a trivial increase in cost.

If you get caught with no PLPD, (Personal Liability and Property Damage) then the fines are hefty.

Also, typically, the damage awards are lower in Canada.

This is based totally on conjecture. I am not a lawyer.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #109

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan in alberta View Post

Cannot speak with any authority, but neighbor tows regularly with a Suzuki Grand Vitara. He loves the Vitara as a tug, and prefers it to his new Mazda Pickup. I drove a Suzuki Sidekick for 12 years as a daily commuter and I gotta say that they are next to indestructible.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #110

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I see much alarm about "over-the-limit towing" posts with small vehicles, and I agree that disclaimers might be a good thing. So I have now added one to my signature. Anyone who posts about towing with a low-tow-rating vehicle might want to do the same if it will help some others feel better about things. After all, we don't want newbies to get the wrong idea; we aren't gurus to be followed literally, right? Happily, a disclaimer in the sig line will apply retroactively into all previous posts!

So now I can talk about towing a 32' trailer with a Fiat 500, and nobody can say that I'm misleading anyone!
Nawww, I'm gonna keep believing everything I read on the internets.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #111

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
Nawww, I'm gonna keep believing everything I read on the internets.
Manbearpig is real!

I'm cereal.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #112

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 841K9

Modern vehicles are no more efficient than vehicles built 20 years ago. They just have smaller engines.
Depends on how you look at it. Let's take the Toyota Corolla, for example:

1988 Corolla
Basic model had 74 horsepower
Weighed about 2,200 pounds
Basic model rated at 26/32 MPG

1992 Corolla
Basic model had 102 horsepower
Weighed about 2,260 pounds
Basic model rated at 24/30 MPG

1996 Corolla
Basic model had 100 horsepower
Weighed about 2,315 pounds
Basic model rated at 26/32 MPG

2000 Corolla
Basic model had 125 horsepower
Weighed about 2,430 pounds
Basic model rated at 27/34 MPG

2004 Corolla
Basic model had 126 horsepower
Weighed about 2,550 pounds
Basic model rated at 28/36 MPG

2009 Corolla
Basic model had 132 horsepower
Weighed about 2,725 pounds
Basic model rated at 26/35 MPG

So, in 20 years, they increased the weight by 24% and horsepower by 78%, but highway fuel economy was increased. I'd call that an improvement in engine efficiency.

In some cases you are correct -- where they are using much larger engines. For instance, the V8 in the new F150 is 6.2 liters!!! We had a 1969 Dodge 500 flatbed truck (18 foot bed) with an Anthony liftgate on it. We once had over 24,000 pounds of firewood on it. It had a 5.2 liter carbureted V8 engine. I doubt it was putting out more than 200 horsepower. That truck would still be on the road today if it hadn't rusted apart. There is no need for a 1/2 ton truck to have a 6.2 liter V8 gasoline engine other than for a quicker 0-60 time.