Eggcamper Weight, Tongue Weight & Towing with Outback - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-20-2015, 01:01 PM   #15

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
Hello Jon,
This Eggcamper could still be lightened a bit more. 2380# is with A/C, 1 large battery, tv, radio, propane stove, propane piping, fittings and 6 18oz tanks, hotplate, toaster oven, microwave, and all utensils, 50# generator, heavier memory foam mattress, bed extension for almost queen size, 80' water hose, etc.
Thank-You
Mark

Old 01-20-2015, 09:20 PM   #16

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
Hi Dale,
You noted a while back that your Eggcamper had the larger 4" frame and most others a 3" frame. Our 2012 has the 4" frame also--4" tall x 2"wide. maybe that's why our weight is kinda high also.

Subaru Legacy/Outback is in direct completion with Toyota Camry/Venza and Subaru wants to keep the all wheel drive buyers, buying Subaru's instead of Toyota's and compete at both the Gas Mileage and Luxury Options Games at the same time, so I agree that towing is not at the top of their list for options especially if it adds weight to the car. Interestingly, the Venza towing capacities with their tow package, are almost the same as Outbacks' 4cyl-2700#/ v-6 3000#: Venza 4 cyl is 2500#, Venza v-6 is 3500#

Old 01-21-2015, 08:48 AM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Low tongue weight towing

We towed for 6 years 3 different trailers. We travel 7+ months a year and have been all over Canada and the USA. Presently we tow a 2600 pound Scamp 16, tongue weight 200 pounds, axle weight 2400 pounds. Our tongue weight is about 8% of the axle weight.

We have never had a problem towing our Scamp 16 with our 4 cylinder Honda CRV. We got good mileage and perfect reliability. We had our CRV for 10 years and retired it this year with nearly 250,000 miles.

We do keep our trailer tires at 50 lbs, and elevate our tow vehicle's tire pressures as well.

We load our trailer carefully, keeping weighty items low and near the axle when ever possible. We carry only one propane tank, propane is available everywhere and one tank is adequate.

We drive slower than some and always stay under 65 mph with our highest speeds only on Interstates which we tend to avoid.

We try to be safe. We avoid driving in bad road conditions. We do have an anti-sway bar for emergencies and do have pressure/temperature sensors on our trailer tires.

Our Honda CRV had a manual transmission and North American rated to tow 1500 pounds. (European rated to tow over 3000 pounds.) When we traded the CRV it still had the original clutch. The most service we ever did to the transmission was to have the transmission lubricant changed once. Our heaviest trailer was a Casita 16, it weighed 2760 pounds with a tongue weight of 230 pounds. All trailers had brakes. Stopping was never an issue.

We have driven 1,000s of miles on bad and dirt roads and never had a problem. Our hitch was bolted to the CRV. I regular check the bolts for tightness. No damage has occurred to the hitch mounting points on the Honda.

This year, with much debate, we traded our CRV in on a 2014 Honda Odyssey, a heavier, bigger vehicle with a 3500/350 pound rating, 6 speed automatic, 6 cylinder engine with transmission cooler. Ginny decided we were old enough to get an automatic (she was looking forward 10 years when we'll be 82 and hopefully still traveling). Ginny choose the Odyssey while I was leaning towards another CRV. After 10,000 miles I believe she made an excellent choice.

I have never owned a Subaru though many find them excellent vehicles.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:51 PM   #18

Name: Bert
Trailer: BOLER
Ontario
I have been thinking of trading my 99 Lexus SUV AWD for an Outback but after reading all the comments about them I dont think I will. I have had a '93 and a '94 RWD, Volvo wagon w the 2.3L, 4 cylinder turbo engines. I am pulling a '74 Boler and have had no problems w the Volvos. I had to weld the Boler tongue 2x last yr. because of those deep driveway and parking lot entrances in SCal.
Last yr going across Canada, I found the old Volvo w 300kms, getting tired going over the mnts; barely able to do 40mph. On the trip back east, I traded it for a '99 Lexus in Prescot AZ. WOW! what power a v6 has. BUT its such a gas guzzler; I barely get 200 miles per tank! So I have been thinking of a used v6 Subura, BUT now after reading all this info about them Iam thinking of a used 1990's Volvo 5 cylinder. I never see Volvos mentioned or pulling anything on the rd. Anybody here use a 5 cylinder Volvo as a TV?
Old 01-21-2015, 06:04 PM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Good mileage towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGBERT View Post

Last yr going across Canada, I found the old Volvo w 300kms, getting tired going over the mnts; barely able to do 40mph. On the trip back east, I traded it for a '99 Lexus in Prescot AZ. WOW! what power a v6 has. BUT its such a gas guzzler; I barely get 200 miles per tank! So I have been thinking of a used v6 Subura, BUT now after reading all this info about them Iam thinking of a used 1990's Volvo 5 cylinder. I never see Volvos mentioned or pulling anything on the rd. Anybody here use a 5 cylinder Volvo as a TV?
Egbert, We purchased a 2014 Honda Odyssey, 6 speed,6 cylinder and can go 400 miles on a tank of gas towing our 1991 Scamp 16. It's really a comfortable tow vehicle and extremely spacious.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:06 PM   #20

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I am afraid that Volvo's no longer enjoy the popularity in the U.S. of days gone by. At last count I had owned about nine; 444's, 445's, 122's, 145's & 245's a 164 and a P-1800.
But when they became a luxury car, I lost interest.

I once bought a 1968 122 Wagon(last year made) in Pierre, SD and towed home to San Francisco, with an almost identical looking 1965 122 wagon. Towed great.... B-18's ruled until Japan took over the market for reliability.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:34 PM   #21

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I am afraid that Volvo's no longer enjoy the popularity in the U.S. of days gone by.
We owned a gently used 1994 Volvo 960 for a short while (emphasis on "short"). It had a never-ending series of "little problems" that always cost $500 for a dealer shop to fix. A friend said he "had a guy" who worked on his Volvo to avoid those expensive trips to the dealer's shop. We finally traded ours in for our Highlander. We figured we didn't need a vehicle that cost $500 a pop to fix every little thing or that you needed your own "guy" to keep it on the road. Other than being in the middle of a Jeep sandwich (Jeep in front stopped suddenly, we stopped okay, Jeep behind us didn't stop and pushed us into the Jeep in front), we haven't had a problem in 140,000 miles with our Highlander. I'd like to think that more and more of the domestic autos are finally catching up with the major Japanese makes regarding reliability.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:45 PM   #22

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
I have been thinking of trading my 99 Lexus SUV AWD for an Outback but after reading all the comments about them I dont think I will. I have had a '93 and a '94 RWD, Volvo wagon w the 2.3L, 4 cylinder turbo engines. I am pulling a '74 Boler and have had no problems w the Volvos. I had to weld the Boler tongue 2x last yr. because of those deep driveway and parking lot entrances in SCal.
Bert, being the party who had some issues with repairs after long term towing with the Subaru I can say that I don't think you would have the same types issues I had if your are pulling a 13'. I believe the issues I had were all related to the fact I was pulling a 16' trailer what was pretty close to the Subaru's upper limits & more than half the miles on the car where towing miles.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:25 AM   #23
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I think Subaru knows their market and knows it well, and people towing trailers are a miniscule component.
I agree with Glen here. Like most cars these days (which many are very capable tow vehicles) the rating is very low (most get the rubber stamp rating of 1,000lbs). The company marketeers can't see any reason to apply a higher rating because they don't see it as a selling point.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:35 AM   #24
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
I never see Volvos mentioned or pulling anything on the rd. Anybody here use a 5 cylinder Volvo as a TV?
My buddy tows a good size dual axle trailer with his 5cyl S60 Volvo. Many 100's of hours of towing. Works fine.

Quote:
I have been thinking of trading my 99 Lexus SUV AWD for an Outback but after reading all the comments about them I dont think I will.
Egbert.. Those Lexus SUV's are a keeper. This one which I believe is the same as yours towed this trailer to Alaska and all over North America. Worked great!
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2015, 09:05 AM   #25

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
While the Lexus shown may have a towing capacity as high as 6500 lbs, the current Volvo S60 towing capacity is 3300 lbs.

One will find little support on this molded fiberglass RV site for towing over manufacturers specified towing limit. What someone else does, does not mean You should do it.....
From my personal observation, many, if not most, new vehicles with 1000 lb or "Do Not Tow limits", are high MPG vehicles, and are bit on the puny side for towing. And, when that usual 32 mpg figure drops to 20 mpg when towing, no one is happy.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:00 PM   #26
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
While the Lexus shown may have a towing capacity as high as 6500 lbs, the current Volvo S60 towing capacity is 3300 lbs.

One will find little support on this molded fiberglass RV site for towing over manufacturers specified towing limit.
Could be Bob but the "point being made" here is that the Volvo S60 (with a pro set up) was towing a good sized dual axle trailer all over North America, for many years.
It should give egbert a good feeling about towing a nice glass egg which weighs much less at roughly 3,300lbs.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:17 PM   #27

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
I still don't get Subaru. You'd think that with all the baby-boomers retiring and the related sharp increase in demand for campers (most every fiberglass manufacturer has a 6-12 month production backlog, and even Air Stream is building another production line to help clear their backlog of orders) that Subaru would want at least some of that action - especially since they already had a proven tow vehicle platform for small campers and a very loyal following. But then I thought the Subaru BRAT was one fun little off-roader, too, but that didn't stop Subaru from dropping it from their lineup.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:45 PM   #28

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Face it. We, on this forum and other owners of light-weight fibreglass trailers, are very few and Subaru is not about to invest in a market that almost doesn't exist in their world. Most of the members of this forum own trailers that are decades old. Not exactly a hot market.
Might be important to you, but Subaru cares not.
That's speaking as a former owner of a Subaru Loyale for some 13 years.

There is probably a bigger market for small pickup trucks that can handle anti-aircraft guns.

Tags
eggcamper, weight