Electric Brake Selection - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #15

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Buying local does have its advantages. I purchased an item online ordered from Northern Tool that was defective right out of the box. I called them and explained the problem I had with the tool. The customer service guy said I must have been using it wrong and a little oil spewing out of the seal was normal. He did however give me a return authorization number and said I could return the item, but I had to pay the shipping to return the defective item. The shipping was about half the value of the tool, so I just threw it in the corner. I should have read the fine print before ordering from them.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:32 AM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Mike, I have bought 5 sets of brakes from Northern Tool for Egggs I have refurbished.
Their shipping is fast and I've never had a problem.
John

Old 03-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Thanks Perry. I have 5 Northern Tools here in the Greater Dallas area. I am heading over to Plano to get a pair. (no pun intended). I am going to use the old hubs since they are matched to the spindle and after reading up on etrailer I don't want to mess with any new issues. I will just get new bearings while they are out. At first I wanted to buy no adjust'ems model but heck I have adjusted brakes forever on cars. NBD. Russ - yes you are right. I too have bought some junk at both HF and Northern and regretted it. Now I am much more selective especially with HF BUT they have some stuff that I could not have afforded if I went the regular route. Don't know why but they always have a 20% off coupon on any single item and I print it out and take it any and away I go. Anyway off track. I will have the brakes on today and tires too and then wheels down for now so I can pull it back outside to continue scrapping off old contact cement. I found a adhesive scrapper for my reciprocating saw which will do the mechanical motion for me now instead of my wrists.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #18

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I replaced my brakes last summer with Dexter "never adjust" as well as new hubs.

For the money its a good investment I know the brakes will wear evenly.
Buying as a complete set met also getting new bearings and seals.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #19

Texas
The issue I had was people that I took my drum too really couldnt identify it per se. So I ended up using the same drum and then since I could read the seal and bearing numbers I just went ahead and replaced those items with locally purchased parts from an auto store. The issue was not that I couldn't get new drums its just that there are (were) too many spindle sizes to contend with and even though I could read the stud, inner and outer diameters etc with my caliper it never seemed to jibe and I wouldn't be sure the seal would work - So I thought no problem I will just rebuild the old drums and be done with it.
Time to start the next phase.
Appreciate again all the input which allows me to jump to the next hurdle.
Mike
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 03-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #20

Texas
Well my brakes have been replaced now and time to move on. Only comment I could make is that at the local auto parts store I spent $45.00 for 2 sets of bearings and seals (no races). On etrailer.com I could have had the bearings,races,seals,washers and cotter pins for $11.88. With that being said I now have new bearings which I can grease and take care of probably until the end of my time.
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 03-23-2013, 05:04 AM   #21

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
Well my brakes have been replaced now and time to move on. Only comment I could make is that at the local auto parts store I spent $45.00 for 2 sets of bearings and seals (no races). On etrailer.com I could have had the bearings,races,seals,washers and cotter pins for $11.88. With that being said I now have new bearings which I can grease and take care of probably until the end of my time.
Which is exactly where the internet comes in handy. I can't tell you how many times I've spent 4-5 hours driving around town trying to find something for this camper (The last thing was brass hose and pipe fittings, and we all know there's no point even trying to ask for something over the phone), couldn't find it, and gave up. Later that night, in 10 minutes time while laying in bed, mcmaster had it coming to my door in two days.

Tags
casita