Electric brakes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2008, 10:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
We bought our second Casita in 2007 (a 2002 17'SD). The seller said that he took the trailer in for inspection before listing it and found that the brake pads were essentially unused. he figured his controller didn't work properly. I've taken the trailer out a couple times and while adjusting the controller, don't feel the "dragging" as they engage like they did on my prior trailer. I'm using a Tekonsa controller. Hmmmmm.....

I'm wondering if the brakes are working at all. Any suggestions on how to determine if the brakes are working?

Thanks,

Greg
Greg Janke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:21 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I'm wondering if the brakes are working at all. Any suggestions on how to determine if the brakes are working?

Thanks,

Greg
A very simple test to determine if the electrical part (magnets) are working is to have someone stand beside the trailer wheel, while a second person applies the brakes of the tow vehicle. If you hear a 'hum' on each wheel with footbrake application, the electric part are working. It does not mean that brake adjustment is correct. On some brake controllers, volt or amp output can be determined on the screen.

A second method may be by pulling the pin on the emergency brake (usually located on the trailer tongue) and see if the wheels lock up.

I am sure others will also offer suggestions

Rick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Most brake controllers have a manual actuator. Drive slowly on a deserted street and activate your trailer brake controller manually.

Good luck,
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:35 PM   #4

I just noticed you are in Long Beach. A deserted street will be difficult to find.
John
Old 03-29-2008, 12:20 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
A second method may be by pulling the pin on the emergency brake (usually located on the trailer tongue) and see if the wheels lock up.
Do NOT pull the pin if the trailer's cable is connected to the tow vehicle or you may let the smoke out of the controller!!

The brake pads have a manual adjustment and may never have been set up properly if the pads aren't contacting the drums...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:51 PM   #6

Are there any streets in Bodfish?
Old 03-29-2008, 09:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Are there any streets in Bodfish?
We have a few paved street in Bodfish, no curbs though. Bodfish is a suburb of Lake Isabella.
I lived in Fountian Valley for 17 years and had a few friends in Long Beach.
I would not move back to Southern California for a million dollars. Now days it would probably take a million to buy a house like the one I sold for $89,000 in 1975.
To much traffic!
John
Old 03-29-2008, 10:13 PM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Parking lots are easy to find everywhere down here.

I checked and set up mine for the first time in my work parking lot.

Sometimes, the brakes do not lock up as suggested in the brake controller manuals. My 13 never did, but they did work and it was easy to feel.

Words of advise.. tho, eh hem, I a, have no personal experience with this, nope, not me.. don't check your brakes by forgetting to plug the controller in and then doing it while the car is rolling.

Ouch.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:52 AM   #9

Thanks all. I hear the clicking and even a little rubbing when I activated the brakes in an alley. Not conviced they're adjusted correctly so off we go to the RV shop to get them checked. I suppose this is a preferable way to find out rather than watching my trailer go by me when I hit the brakes on one our highly congested streets. Reminds me of Lucy Ricardo and Ethel Mertz taking Ricky's new car through the Holland Tunnel!
Old 03-30-2008, 12:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks all. I hear the clicking and even a little rubbing when I activated the brakes in an alley. Not conviced they're adjusted correctly so off we go to the RV shop to get them checked. I suppose this is a preferable way to find out rather than watching my trailer go by me when I hit the brakes on one our highly congested streets. Reminds me of Lucy Ricardo and Ethel Mertz taking Ricky's new car through the Holland Tunnel!

Greg,
If you have an auto shop or mechanic you trust you might take your trailer there. Trailer brakes are the same as the drum style brakes on your vehicle. Might save you some money and time.

John
Old 03-31-2008, 12:51 AM   #11

Thanks John. I do have a good auto shop around the corner. Alot closer and less hassle than going to the RV shop.

By the way, I've been pondering a trip to Lake Isabella. Used to live in Ridgecrest and drove through there many times but haven't been back in 25 years. Any good campgounds around there with hookups (and trees) you'd recommend?

Greg
Old 03-31-2008, 11:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks John. I do have a good auto shop around the corner. Alot closer and less hassle than going to the RV shop.

By the way, I've been pondering a trip to Lake Isabella. Used to live in Ridgecrest and drove through there many times but haven't been back in 25 years. Any good campgounds around there with hookups (and trees) you'd recommend?

Greg
All of the campgrounds around the lake that I know of are Forest Service campgrounds with no hookups.
Give me a day or 2 and I will check around and let you know. For trees you may have to go up the Kern Canyon above Kernville and camp on the Kern river.

John

Tags
brakes