Electric Brakes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2008, 09:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Triple E TM14 Surfside
I have electric brakes on my 76 Triple E TM14 Surfside. I can see why they don't work as the wires on both sides coming from the back of the hubs are cut. The axle is a rub and ride (no leaf springs). I don't know, if I connected the wires, that the brakes will work which I of course will try. The axle and the back of the hubs have lots of surface rust but it rolls very smoothly. Due to the fact that the trailer sat for many roughly 10 years before it was restored inside I wonder if the electric brake magnets would be usable and if anyone knows whether they would be ok or not. (if not somewhat corroded). Would it be easier to replace the axle? Any comments would be appreciated.
Steve Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:02 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The replaceable parts of the brakes are inexpensive enough that one needn't replace the entire axle. However, if that is the original axle on a '76, it might be due for replacement, in which case everything comes with it.

Presuming they are using standard Dexter stuf, one can get the entire backing plate assembled with shoes, springs, magnets at a reasonable price from RV place or from internet. Even if axle is replaced later, one still has extra parts.

That said, if you have a tool-handy friend, it would be worth pulling it all apart and checking it out. Likely there's just some surface rust and not much wear.

http://www.dyersonline.com/Departments/Tra...Assemblies.aspx
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:19 AM   #3

Quote:
The replaceable parts of the brakes are inexpensive enough that one needn't replace the entire axle. However, if that is the original axle on a '76, it might be due for replacement, in which case everything comes with it.

Presuming they are using standard Dexter stuf, one can get the entire backing plate assembled with shoes, springs, magnets at a reasonable price from RV place or from internet. Even if axle is replaced later, one still has extra parts.

That said, if you have a tool-handy friend, it would be worth pulling it all apart and checking it out. Likely there's just some surface rust and not much wear.

http://www.dyersonline.com/Departments/Tra...Assemblies.aspx

Thanks for the info. It looks like the whole axle is held on with 2 bolts per side. A real easy fix. Cheers
Old 08-04-2008, 06:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The Scamp web site recommends that you jack up your egg and place it on Stands during long periods of inactivity to keep the rubber inside the axle from becoming compressed so I would replace the axle.

A good source for brake parts and drums is Northern Tools.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:21 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Quote:
I have electric brakes on my 76 Triple E TM14 Surfside. I can see why they don't work as the wires on both sides coming from the back of the hubs are cut. The axle is a rub and ride (no leaf springs). I don't know, if I connected the wires, that the brakes will work which I of course will try. The axle and the back of the hubs have lots of surface rust but it rolls very smoothly. Due to the fact that the trailer sat for many roughly 10 years before it was restored inside I wonder if the electric brake magnets would be usable and if anyone knows whether they would be ok or not. (if not somewhat corroded). Would it be easier to replace the axle? Any comments would be appreciated.

you have options
first change the magnets since you live in bc bring the magnets to lordco auto supple and have them match the up
second you can buy the whole new brake system from princess auto buy them when they go on sale and they go on sale at princess auto about 3 times ayear at a cost of about 30 dollar each side and ever thing is there it just bolts on .check out there web site princess auto
i would check your axle if it is just serface take a wire brush to it i hava 1977 boler and i was going to change the axle also but when i took a wire brush to it it was fine just make sure when you put the wire toghere for your brakes use shrink tube on the wires to keep them dry and then tape overe the shrink tube
nick piccott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:00 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
I fixed the brakes on my old Scamp but if I were to do it again, I'd just go ahead and replace the whole axle.

The brake repair seemed simple and straight forward. The drums were in good shape so just replace the shoes and magnets. Well, you can't get just shoes and magnets for the old 7" brakes on mine. You have to buy the whole brake assembly complete with backing plate. Ok, so my repairmen had 4 sets of the old 7" brake assemblies in stock.

They installed on the axle ok but then we went to fit the drums and guess what, the new brake assemblies require a 1/4" deeper drum. The old, perfectly good, drums are junk. We tried to get new drums. My repairman had one he'd sell me but didn't have a second one.

Well maybe we can take the shoes and magnets off the new backing plates and repair the old assembly? Nope, the holes don't match and the new shoes are 1/4" wider. So much for that idea.

He finally located a new drum at a dealer 100 miles away so I went and retrieved it. By the way, we needed one specific part number that had the correct 4 bolt pattern for my wheels. Apparently 7" drums with the 4 bolt pattern are less than common anymore.

When we finally got everything installed, the brakes worked fine. When we get home this fall, we'll have close to 10,000 miles on them so I'll inspect them. My guess is they'll be shot.

All things considered, I probably spent close to $500 repairing my brakes and I've still got the old 2500lb axle. Now I'm considering replacing the axle anyway. I think the rubbers are shot in the old one (or nearly so). But now, new axles all come with 10" brakes and 5 bolt drums, which means I need three new wheels as well. I think I'll wait until I get a major lottery winner (that may take a while as I don't play). Well, maybe when my nearly new Carlisles are shot, I'll step up to the whole thing.

Capt Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:02 AM   #7

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
I am glad you brought this up, Steve. I'm doing the same cost/benefit equation. Sounds like $30 per side on sale at Princess; cheap enough - although my wiring has been butchered, so it will probably have to go to the expensive smart people to be done. With the new, stiffer ST tires, the trailer seems to be bouncing more on the worn cement, so it's probably time for an axle. What's an axle install going for these days?
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:24 AM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
Quote:
I am glad you brought this up, Steve. I'm doing the same cost/benefit equation. Sounds like $30 per side on sale at Princess; cheap enough - although my wiring has been butchered, so it will probably have to go to the expensive smart people to be done. With the new, stiffer ST tires, the trailer seems to be bouncing more on the worn cement, so it's probably time for an axle. What's an axle install going for these days?
I recently had a quote of between $650-$700 for a new custom fit 3500 lb. torsion axle, with 10 inch electric brakes from Standen's Axle in Calgary.
kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:54 AM   #9

Trailer: 1978 Surfside
Hey Kevin

Is that price for them to install or is that cash and carry? Asking because MarkB1 here on the board told me he got a quote with Standons for a new axle with hubs and brakes is going to be about $470 and thats to install it yourself.

KJ
kentj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:51 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Be aware that the 3500 lb axle is the one that goes under the Scamp 16' (#10 Dexter); the Scamp 13' takes the 2200 lb axle (#9 Dexter w/7" brakes).

In almost every case, it is less expensive to buy a complete brake backing plate w/magnets, shoes, springs and plate, all mounted, than to try to buy the individual components.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Wow I haven't been on here for a while. Lots of responses . I haven't changed the brakes yet. I was going to get them operating this spring. I actually (legally) don't need them because of the weights of my truck and trailer but would like them working simply because my truck is rigged with the controller so why not....
I will likely replace the brakes rather than the axle as it does ride nice, smooth and true. I do have one of them smart people to help me and it wont be expensive but I will owe yet another favor. I was quoted around 600.00 for an axle replacement at a axle place here.

Cheers

Tags
brakes