Electric brakes - standard on a 17' Burro? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #15
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Congrats Chris! Once you get the trailers brakes set up and your car wired for them and a brake controller installed. I suspect after you have enjoied your first camping trip you will think that it was all worth it!! Hope you have lots of great adventures. Have fun with it!

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #16
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
Must be a heck of a buy if you are willng to tow it from TN to CA. I saw an Amerigo out that way a month ago and the cost to go after it was prohibitive, not to mention any fixing needed on-site. I would guess that you could get a hefyt bill from an RV shop. Adding or fixing brakes and/or repacking wheel bearings $150-$1000, new tires $200, rewiring/repairing the trailers lights $100, And does the propane refrigerator work?

Personally I would find and pay a local RV tech $100 to take a look at what's there first. And ferget anything the seller is telling you and, be sure to get it titled in your name in TN. By the time you get to CA with a 3rd party title/or worse yet, a Bill of Sale, you may be in deep-doo-doo trying to get it titled and registered.

I once bought an Airstream Bambi with a flakey title that turned out to be stolen out of a storage facility by the seller, who owned the storage lot.....
I was lucky, I got my money back, and the seller got a free stay in the X-bar Hotel.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #17
Name: Chris & T.J.
Trailer: 1993 17' WB Burro
Bob, we live in FL, but are planning a trip to CA, hence the desire for the rv. If my parents weren't able to look at it in my stead I wouldn't have been interested in buying out of state. Yikes about your Bambi experience, glad to hear you lucked out.
Wander Weekes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #18
Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Trailer Barkes AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws

Originally Posted by Wander Weekes View Post
Thank you for that link! Our 1975 Boler 1300 has no brakes but thus far is still under the lowest allowable weight for trailers without brakes found in the link you provided (1,500lbs or 680 kg). Believe we have a four-pin connector but need to check when we pick up the trailer on Tuesday. We're stopping on the way home from the repairman's to have it weighed. Hopefully we can keep it under 1,500 for now as we hadn't budgeted to replace the axle!

Bonnie and Claude is offline   Reply With Quote

brakes, burro