Engine Cooler for an old trooper - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-21-2013, 12:03 AM   #29

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
If it has a mechanical clutch on the fan, that could be bad, also. If so, when it's hot, shut it off, and try turning the fan, it should be hard to do.

Pretty good chance you need a new radiator. I change my thermostat every time I change radiator hoses, they usually cost less than the hoses. Engine replacement automatically means radiator rodded or replaced. These days, like everything else, it's about as cheap to replace most of them.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:25 AM   #30

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2004 trillium outback
Alaska
Registry
Good to get it all in order before the trip. I agree with Richard...getting it fixed could take a lot of time and money when you are miles from the nearest gas station and maybe not a mechanic for a hundred miles.
Living in Alaska, I drive the highway frequently all times of the year and have a lot of respect for the vulnerability that a breakdown presents. Summers the days are long, weather mild, and enough traffic to get help easily. Not so other times.
Good luck!

Old 05-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #31

Name: Richard
Trailer: Trillium 1300 Nor'Easter Egg '06 Ranger Supercab 3.0L auto
Newfoundland
Send a message via Skype™ to Richard Hayes
There's no reason a well-maintained older vehicle like your Trooper can't be just as reliable as a newer one, and can be easier to maintain and repair. I'd still be using my '91 Ranger as my tow vehicle if my buddy hadn't decided to sell his impeccably-maintained '06. I still carry some minimal tools and a few spares - serpentine belt and rad hoses, some oil, antifreeze and brake fluid, a set of battery cables and some Flat In A Can, for example - if I'm heading away from civilization.

A good checkup and replacement of anything that looks dodgy will see you right. Envy you the trip - beautiful country for sure...
Old 05-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #32

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13'
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
I regularly tow my 13' Scamp up long and steep upgrades in hot weather with a 4 cylinder '91 Trooper. I did initially have to watch my temperature gauge carefully, but usually managed to get up 8 miles of 10% grade without having to pull over. It always made me nervous. I replaced my radiator after it developed a major leak. Now I have no problem at all. While I continue to watch my gauge as a precaution, it never approaches anything I would think of as the worry stage. I would recommend replacing the radiator if you can afford it and not worry about temporary fixes.

The new radiator certainly doesn't get me out of 1st and 2nd gear for the climb, but I no longer worry how far it is to the next safe pullout.
Thank you for the info! It is so nice to hear from a fellow trooper owner who had problems with heat also and that you found a solution!
Old 05-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #33

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13'
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hayes View Post
There's no reason a well-maintained older vehicle like your Trooper can't be just as reliable as a newer one, and can be easier to maintain and repair. I'd still be using my '91 Ranger as my tow vehicle if my buddy hadn't decided to sell his impeccably-maintained '06. I still carry some minimal tools and a few spares - serpentine belt and rad hoses, some oil, antifreeze and brake fluid, a set of battery cables and some Flat In A Can, for example - if I'm heading away from civilization.

A good checkup and replacement of anything that looks dodgy will see you right. Envy you the trip - beautiful country for sure...
Thank you for you positive opinion, which I share. Troopers have so much room around the engine they are really easy to see most problems and work on. I've got enough tools to rebuild an engine and a whole box of oil and plenty of other fluids too. We have the mechanics manual too! I way over plan things to tell you the truth so I will probably pay a mechanic to completely check out the heating cooling system ask him questions to make sure he checked out all aspects that people have talked about on here. Then I will figure out if I want to do the work myself or get someone else to do it. All this will be done long before the long drive and with ample time for a test drive.