Engine Load/Ultragauge - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Every vehicle is different. When towing my Bigfoot with my Tundra I get the best mileage by keeping the RPMs low, at or below 1,500 RPM ideally, and definitely below 1,800 RPM whenever possible. Basically "lugging" it. Unfortunately, this is also not the easiest way to drive while towing. It wants to "hunt" a lot, especially on even a slight upgrade or in a head wind. Tundra's with the factory tow package have a user-selectable Tow/Haul mode, which basically raises the shift points allowing more use of the peak area of the torque curve. I find this the most pleasant mode to drive in while towing, but it always results in a significant hit in fuel mileage. The key is to experiment with your vehicle using different driving strategies until you find what works best for your TV/trailer combination.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #22

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 19
California
Placement is important in order to keep your eyes on the road. In the case of my last two Tacomas, the ScanGauge sets right on top of the steering column and in the sight line of the speedometer. It's no different than looking at any of the other gauges.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #23

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
My Ultra gauge sets at the bottom of the gauge window between the MPH gauge and ROM gauge. It blocks nothing and is in a spot I normally look at while driving. To me it's size is a feature.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #24

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post

Similarly the best mpg reading is obtained when doing the single most uneconomical thing in driving - using the brakes.
My Escape has current "Economy" display as one of it's choices and yes getting off the gas and on the brakes makes the bar move toward high economy.

From the engines standpoint when I brake I'm coasting and it's the engine being read by the gauge.

I would think the % Engine Load would be useful measure, different engines have different speeds/rpm range where they are most efficient. Finding that spot would be easier with a guage than it is to drive at specific speeds for long enough to get mpg readings for each. And when the terrain changes the "best" speed may well be different.

I do a highway commute of about 25 miles, so I am able to spend a week driving the same route at a specific speed to "find" the speed that yields the best mpg for my daily commute. That speed is different in my 4 cyl Pontiac than it was in my 4 cyl Accord, and is different still in my wifes V6 Escape.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #25

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Looks like they are running a sale price, right now might be a good time to buy one.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote