Engine Load/Ultragauge - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Engine Load/Ultragauge

We installed an Ultragauge in Our 2004 Honda CRV to help us monitor engine conditions. It plugs directly into the OBD II connector available on most gas powered vehicles. Actually many newer vehicles have the ability to display at least some of the information available on the Ultragauge.

Our Ultragauge can display information on 18 different/selectable vehicle/engine parameters.

My observation is the following: the most valuable function is helping to maximize vehicle miles per gallon. Though it reports instantaneous and trip/tank mpg; the most important factor that seems to define mpg is % of Engine Load. Minimizing this number (% of Engine Load) seems to maximize mpg.

As a result I shift to keep the Engine Load minimal. Typically this seems to mean driving in 4th gear and keeping the engine speed between 3000 and 3500 RPM.

I do not have a lot of engine experience, just that of a user. I hope this makes sense to more experienced users. The result on this trip is that we have averaged between 22 and 23 mpg.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #2

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We installed an Ultragauge in Our 2004 Honda CRV to help us monitor engine conditions. It plugs directly into the OBD II connector available on most gas powered vehicles. Actually many newer vehicles have the ability to display at least some of the information available on the Ultragauge.

Our Ultragauge can display information on 18 different/selectable vehicle/engine parameters.

My observation is the following: the most valuable function is helping to maximize vehicle miles per gallon. Though it reports instantaneous and trip/tank mpg; the most important factor that seems to define mpg is % of Engine Load. Minimizing this number (% of Engine Load) seems to maximize mpg.

As a result I shift to keep the Engine Load minimal. Typically this seems to mean driving in 4th gear and keeping the engine speed between 3000 and 3500 RPM.

I do not have a lot of engine experience, just that of a user. I hope this makes sense to more experienced users. The result on this trip is that we have averaged between 22 and 23 mpg.
It's a cool little tool isn't it Norm !? I've got "the other brand" ( scangauge 2 ). I like having the "horsepower" gauge showing, because it too can 'remind' me to feather back on the throttle a little, for improved fuel mileage.

I mostly got it because I wanted to see accurate/realtime what the water temperature is. My Nissan has "gauges", but the temp gauge is effectively and 'idiot gauge', meaning that the needle remains in the middle of the sweep anytime the engine is between 155-215 degrees (F). The scangauge shows the actual temp as being reported by the computer.

I also got it because....well... I like gadgets.....
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #3

Florida
George,

I like the temperature function as well. My Honda temperature gauge never moves however the Ultragauge does show temperature changes letting you see that the temperature does increase on long uphill runs.

The other thing it does is report engine issues before the Honda's computer does.

We once had a spark plug not fire and it instantly reported it while the Honda seems to need more than 1 misfire before reporting it. It turns out we were at 150,000 miles on the spark plugs and should have replaced them at 100,000 miles

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-31-2012, 12:13 AM   #4

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I think I'm going to get one of those.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:54 AM   #5

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Are they vehicle specific or kind of generic? What do they cost? Can a 6 thumbs guy install it?
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:16 AM   #6

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
They plug right into the OBD2 ( on board diagnostic, version 2 ) port. That 'port' is where your mechanic plugs in for diagnostics. It's generally easily accessible along the bottom edge of the dash. On my Frontier, it's right there where the steering column goes under the dash. What the car's computer reports out thru that port can vary by manufacturer though. For instance, a few cars report oil pressure. My Nissan does not. A few cars may report transmission oil temp if they are an automatic. My Nissan is a manual trans, so that would not apply in my case. Etc, etc.

The primary purpose of these devices is to help the technician isolate problems, for instance when your check engine light comes on, the computer reports a fault code, and the scangauge would display what the fault was/is. As Norm said, his helped him find a problem when the Ultragage reported a spark misfire.
The Ultragage is a little less expensive than Scangauge 2, so consider that also. If you go to their websites, you can compare them.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:44 AM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
very cool,,, in our truck the only extra info we need,,, how far to the nearest hamburger for me,,,and how far to a restroom for momma,,,,lol
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:15 AM   #8

Florida
Ultragauge Link, Cost $69

UltraGauge Automotive Information Center and OBDII Scan Tool

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-31-2012, 08:42 AM   #9

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
Here is a free idea for a patent. Have a connection to the little back seat video monitor/tv screens (that kids watch) which repeatedly plays the message "no we are not there yet".
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: 19 ft Escape ( aug 2012)
Alberta
Quite often when we are on a trip I will bring my Laptop and mdi ( multiple diagnostic interface ) which alows me to scan and view all data in my truck . It can be very interesting to be able to view whats really going on when driving/towing. Don't worry i have my wife navigating the screens and telling me whats going on so i am not doing this while driving.
it really does alow you to " learn " how to drive when towing . fyi, one missfire the odd time while driving is not that unushual. but at 150000 miles you defintaly need spark plugs
DMAC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:49 AM   #11

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Bruce H: Just print it out on a paper and tape it across their mouth and tell them you will remove it ""When You Get There."
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:52 AM   #12

Go to the bank and get a role of quarters and take one coin away every time one of the asks "R We There Yet". They can share what is left of the quarters when U arrive.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:04 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
very cool,,, in our truck the only extra info we need,,, how far to the nearest hamburger for me,,,and how far to a restroom for momma,,,,lol
LOL get a TomTom it will tell you that!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:35 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
The Ultragauge is very easy to plug in, but a few (mostly older) vehicles are not supported. Check their website for a list.

I had one, but someone stole it... either at the tire store or, more likely, the detail shop. No way to prove anything.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #15

Trailer:
I think you have to treat the instantaneous mpg figure with caution, whether from a dash readout or an OBD device. Drivers will concentrate on getting a 'good' number from the readout which may not be good for economy.

For example, very slow acceleration that gives the highest mpg figure is, despite everyone's gut feeling, not the most economical way to accelerate. Best practice is to use wide-open throttle at medium revs (around peak torque) as then the engine is then working at maximum efficiency. It's like removing a band-aid - a short sharp pull hurts less than a long slow reticent one. If you want confirmation, look at economy competitions where 'coast and burn' techniques (maximum acceleration followed by coasting with engine off) give the best results - not a good idea for road driving!

Similarly the best mpg reading is obtained when doing the single most uneconomical thing in driving - using the brakes.
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #16

Florida
Andrew,

I don't understand how using the brakes gives the best mpg. Best mpg for me is rolling, to the stop sign or down hill in neutral, particularly asy with a manual transmission. I like see instantaneous mpg but focus on engine load. Maximizing energy to me is reduce percentage of engine load. As you suggest keeping the engine in its most efficient range is important. For us it seems to be between 3000 and 3500 RPM.

I really should take a look at the engine power curve.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: 19 ft Escape ( aug 2012)
Alberta
When trying to get the best fuel mileage, steady smooth driving with moderate throttle is ushually where you will get the best result, most fuel injected vehicles when the control module sees " wide open throttle" pretty much poors as much fuel into the engine as it can get, generally resulting in aproximatly 5 ish to 1 fuel mixture, the peek ration is 14 ish to 1.
DMAC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #18

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
lUlgragauge

Got your message, thanks. I will be ordering soon. Sounds like that little gauge would help everyone. Marg in NW California
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 19
California
I've used a ScanGauge for a number of years, and really like it. Since getting a trailer heavier than the old pop-up, I added Transmission Temperature, and found that pretty helpful. In spite of having a transmission cooler on my Tacoma, one can really see the swings in temp. My standard gauge uses are engin temp, tran temp, MPG, and speed. Speed is interesting because at higher speeds it differs substantially from the vehicle's speedometer (also electronic). I've checked both with a GPS and found the ScanGauge to be the more accurate.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #20

I didn't like it due to the size (Small) and thought it was distracting. Taking eyes off the road while driving. Just Sayin