Engine oil - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-10-2013, 11:51 PM   #29

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
First off, Mobil one isn't a real synthetic. Second, it's a guarantee synthetics will help with wear. You'll have to decide wether or not that matters for the duration you have your vehicle.

I run amsoil in differentials, and manual trans from the very beginning, it makes a huge difference, especially in winter.

I usually change oil at 500 miles with a break in oil, then at 3k, go to Dino oil every 3k, then at 12k, I switch to synthetic every 7500 miles. Oil analysis says it still has more to go at that point.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #30

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
For all your laughing about my snake oil, you should read the differences between the group 3 synthetics and group 4 and 5. Also, as I already stated earlier, one of the diesels that VW makes has some specific lubrication requirements to make the cam shafts survive. I have seen people who though Mobil One is "god of oil kingdom" cook this engine.

As to which oil - VW spec 505.01, here a few examples, there are 17 pages in the source document;

Castrol Magnatec Professional B4SAE 5W-40
Castrol SLX Professional OE SAE 5W-30
Castrol Edge Professional 505 01 SAE 5W-40
Castrol Edge Professional OE SAE 5W-30
BP Visco 5000 C SAE 5W-40
Aral Tronic 431 SAE 5W-40
Chevron Havoline Ultra S SAE 5W-40
Elf Excellium DID SAE 5W-40
Elf Solaris LSX SAE 5W-40
Elf Solris MSX SAE 5W-30
Gulf Formula ULE SAE 5W-30
Gulf Progress Extended SAE 5W-30
Motul Specific 505 01 502 00 505 00 SAE 5W-40
Mobil Syst S Special V SAE 5W-30
Pennzoil Platinum European Ultra Diesel SAE 5W-30
Pennzoil Platinum Low SAPS SAE 5W-30
Quaker State European Engine Ultra Diesel SAE 5W-30
Quaker State Synquest Low SAPS SAE 5W-30
Valvoline SynPower MST SAE 5W-40
Würth Triathlon Special PD SAE 5W-3

First thing I notice is I don't recognise most of these oils. As far as I know they are only available online or at a VW or Audi dealer. Amsoil is not on the list mainly because I think they didn't want to bother getting certified. Only exception I think is Castrol Edge (Castrol is official oil of VW in US).

Jason

PS; the low SAPS oil we use in current diesels is not even API classified.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #31

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Soooo. This only applies if it is being used in certain VW's? Which specific oil?

"The oil I use has a unique property that is heat/pressure activated chemical that coats the bearings to prevent wear. So changing oil early thinking it will keep the oil cleaner, will actually wear out the engine sooner."

Considering that VW is again losing market share it seems a shame that they haven't yet learned to build engines that will survive with API rated oils as do thoe engines from across the other pond.

BTW: I am a VW, Type 181, aircooled guy from waaaaaay back
Old 05-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #32

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Here is what the Mobile 1 site states about Mobile 1:
Mobil 1 5W-30
Mobil 1 5W-30, an officially dexos1 licensed product, is an advanced full synthetic motor oil that helps extend engine life by reducing engine wear and oil breakdown. Mobil 1 5W-30 provides outstanding performance under all operating conditions and meets or exceeds the warranty requirements where an API certified oil is specified.
-------------------------------------------------
Full Synthetic however it was stated on this site that it is not Full Synthetic

And I drive a 74 Thing.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #33

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
For all your laughing about my snake oil, you should read the differences between the group 3 synthetics and group 4 and 5.
Jason, I think the laughter is about the "heat/pressure activated chemical that coats the bearings to prevent wear", not the type of synthetic base stock.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #34

California
Snakes Alive Maudy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Jason, I think the laughter is about the "heat/pressure activated chemical that coats the bearings to prevent wear", not the type of synthetic base stock.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Actually I got a chuckle out of the suggestion that if you changed your oil at 5000 miles that the engine would wear out sooner than if you left it for 10,000 miles. But that goes with the heat/pressure activated chemical mentioned above.

Does STP mean Snake+Temperature+Pressure? Hoodathunkit?
Old 05-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #35

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
This has been debated on the forums for TDIs quite a lot. Some of the people contributing there are much smarter than I and have the degrees to back it up. Doing the oil analysis does not show anything unusual chemically, but many members trying different OCI and oil came to the same conclusion.

The high detergent attributes do a number on cleaning out the soot and gunk from the engine. This also tends to remove the anti wear additives. There is an additive(or additives) in the oil VW requires for that engine that takes 2k to 3k miles to build up on the bearings and cam lobes. So by changing the oil early the detergents just get done cleaning and before the anti wear additive has a chance to build up the process starts over.

Most German makes build to their equivalent to the US's API standards. But as GM recently figured out you can't meet the CAFE and emissions standards using the outdated API specs. And ask Toyota about the sludge in Camry engines. We had a representative from BP and Elf at our annual club Fest a couple years ago. They were lamenting the API standards for badly needing to be updated. We are fast approaching the time when regular petro oil won't keep up and all car makes will have to go to a synthetic mandate.

I don't know about loosing market share, because their sales growth has been some of the best in US in over 30 years. They have increased sales month over month for about 4 years straight. And I think they have the highest total sales volume since the air cooled Beetle days.

Jason
Old 05-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #36

California
It's a big world for VW outside the U.S. Volkswagen sees tougher markets after flat March sales | Reuters

And, prior to the New Beetle, VWoA was down to about 60 or so employees, so there was nowhere to go but up.

And while the sludging problems at Toyota and others are well documented, our 1998 Camery currently has 314,000+ miles on it on on dino oil, so they must be doing something right.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #37

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Here is what the Mobile 1 site states about Mobile 1:
Mobil 1 5W-30
Mobil 1 5W-30, an officially dexos1 licensed product, is an advanced full synthetic motor oil that helps extend engine life by reducing engine wear and oil breakdown. Mobil 1 5W-30 provides outstanding performance under all operating conditions and meets or exceeds the warranty requirements where an API certified oil is specified.
-------------------------------------------------
Full Synthetic however it was stated on this site that it is not Full Synthetic

And I drive a 74 Thing.
I suggest you read about the oil groups that the US allows to be called synthetic. Mobil one is a petroleum base stock, not a true synthetic.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #38

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Interesting, I never knew that Mobil 1 was no longer made with group IV base stock. Good to know.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #39

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Interesting, I never knew that Mobil 1 was no longer made with group IV base stock. Good to know.
iIRC, they sued somebody (castrol?) years back for claiming they were synthetic with group 3, lost, and joined the gang. I think there are a few mobile that are euro spec and group 4, don't ask me what.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #40

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
They sell a special additive at small airports for small planes that saves the wear on cam shafts. I think it is zinc based.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:14 PM   #41

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
They sell a special additive at small airports for small planes that saves the wear on cam shafts. I think it is zinc based.
Also important for many engine break ins. Modern oil is too "green".