Equalizer hitch? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian-Vicki View Post
Have towed without an equalizer hitch, but not after i tried WITH one. The truck and trailer track like one unit.
cheers
Ian
This was our experience and we traveled through several states with it. Our concern was sway because we could easily handle the weight of the trailer. The difference was unbelievable. The Equalizer is just bolted on which is one of the reasons that we had chose it.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #22

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Better take McBrew's word that the light box tube in many egg frames will NOT take the stress of operating with a distribution hitch. Don't want to break the welds at the A-frame tongue, or worse, bend the frame! Investigate air shocks or rubber donuts installed in the coil springs of the TV. Timbrens is a brand of the passive type which don't require air. For heavens sake, don't put 6000# distribution bars on a 17' egg. I don't have to tell you this is from somebody who learned the hard way, do I?

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #23

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think most trailers do not require a w/d hitch as long as the tongue weight is less than 500 lbs. That amount seems to be where most receivers say a w/d is needed if in excess thereof. I'd get a good tongue scales like Sherline here Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale - 2,000-lb Capacity Sherline Tools 5780 to monitor tongue weight. Then just hook up and tow and enjoy.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #24

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
My Astro van is good for 5500 pounds towing, I use a Weight Distribution Hitch as it does level things out.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #25

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter Dave View Post
Here's a rough sketch (I hope) of the towing rig for my Trillium 1300 and a Tacoma with tow pkg. [3500 lbs]. They were called sway bars when I was growing up.
When the chains are attached to the trailer frame should the link just be slipped over the pin or should the bar and chain be pressured upwards to allow the second or third link to slip onto the pin on the trailer frame?
And, does moving the link change the weight/pressure/distribution?
Hope this can be understood. Thanks in advance. D

Pressured upwards to allow the second link. This should look level.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:32 AM   #26

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Thanks for all the information. I figured if they came with the rig, they should be used. Now I know how and why. One last question:
They will do no harm, if properly installed and used, right?

BTW, the Tacoma is a 4-cyl, Extended cab, 2WD, with tow pkg rated for 3500lbs.
Thanks again for the information. D
Scouter Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #27

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Won't harm the Tacoma. The Trillium I have no idea about.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote