Equalizer vs. Fast way E2 hitch? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2016, 04:37 PM   #1

Name: Jane
Trailer: Bigfoot
Tennessee
Equalizer vs. Fast way E2 hitch?

I've seen endorsements on this site for the Equalizer hitch so I know it's good but it also has a big price tag. My RV guy has a Fast way E2 hitch that looks like the Equalizer except the sway bars are round. It was used one time and I can buy it for $300 and he will install it for free. It is 8000 lb which is all I need and may be all I can handle. It looks like the Equalizer is available in 6000 and 10000 so I would have to get the 10000 lb. Anyone have any knowledge on the E2? Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Jane H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:31 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
What size is your Bigfoot ? What is your tow vehicle ? More information will help.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:51 PM   #3

Tennessee
My Bigfoot is 21ft with rear bed and my TV is a 2016 Dodge Durango R/T (V8 Hemi engine with factory installed tow pkg).
Old 06-20-2016, 10:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
A number of folks have had issues with the Equalizer - parts wear out.... do a google on RV forums and you will find a fair number of folks with issues.

I have not used a FASTWAY E2 but considered one before purchasing an BlueOx. I have used a more traditional WDH in the past and I like how light and easy the Blue Ox is to install but not convinced yet that it does as good a job as the more traditional style WDH which takes a bit of getting use to in regards to attaching quickly and the bars weigh much more making it a bit harder for me being a fairly light weight female to attach.

One thing you need to be very careful about when purchasing a WDH is you want get the one that is BEST weight for your trailer. To heavy and it can cause damage to your trailer in providing to stiff a ride and to light it does not do the job well.

Most WDH are sold to fit based on the tongue weight i.e. if the trailer has a tongue weight of say about 600lbs you would probable choose the 750lb bars as 1000lbs would be to heavy for the the application..

I am not clear on how Fastway figures out which product is best for the trailer. You would be wise to call them and tell them your trailers fully loaded weight and tongue weight and have them advise which of their WDH would be best suited.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:35 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane H. View Post
My Bigfoot is 21ft with rear bed and my TV is a 2016 Dodge Durango R/T (V8 Hemi engine with factory installed tow pkg).
Do you even need a WDH? How much does the TV's hitch ball sag with the trailer on it? Is the Durango Rear wheel drive of Front Wheel drive?
My guess would be, if the ball sag is less then one inch. and you have rear wheel drive, you're good to go.
The WDH just adds dead weight to the rig, which reduces gas mileage.
You may be able to install load leveler shocks on the Durango instead.
And, add more air to the rear tires to compenstae for the weight transfer.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:28 PM   #6

Tennessee
I have rear wheel drive but I would feel safer with a WDH.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:13 PM   #7

Washington
As Carol previously mentioned, get one that is appropriate for your trailer. I would weigh your trailer fully loaded, including tongue weight and do some research. A 10K WDH would be too much and could cause additional problems. I've never been a fan of a WDH but I know some people absolutely swear by them. Have you towed with your current set up much?
Old 06-21-2016, 08:04 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
I have rear wheel drive but I would feel safer with a WDH.
Do you know the actual, fully loaded, weight of the trailer, at the axle, and at the hitch?
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:32 PM   #9

Name: Francois
British Columbia
Registry
"safer" ????

sounds like you have "sway anxiety" and are receptive to the claim that the "no chain" WDH hitch solves that "problem" too...so bonus right....(???)

you could weigh the trailer (fully loaded for travel) and weigh the tounge weight....if you have 10 to 15 % tounge weight....the only time you have to worry about sway is when you are on the dance floor...

this is a used trailer?....how was the last guy towing it...what was HE using...that will tell you something

the sway control of that new hitch seems to be that the metal bars are going to have to move on a flat metal bracket, causing friction....metal on metal friction....and that is an "improvement"?????

I dunno...lots and lots of stuff to buy out there....that's for sure....JMO
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:23 PM   #10

Tennessee
Yes, Francois, I have severe sway anxiety. I didn't want to get into this but I will briefly explain my problem. Seven weeks ago I attempted my first camping trip and, a half hour into it, my trailer started fishtailing and turned me completely around on the interstate. I bought the trailer in California and had it towed using the 8000 lb WDH that was used by the previous owners. It was what I was towing with when my accident occurred. Twice I had a problem with the Durango putting on the car brakes when I was towing which I believe is related to the Electronic Stability control. Basically the brakes are coming on on the SUV but not the trailer. ( I am not pressing the brake pedal.) The hitch was bent in the accident, hence my need for a new one. I haven't weighed anything because I've put very little in the trailer as yet. At this point I can't do anything until I get a new hitch. I'm close to giving up. I do appreciate all the input from everyone and will consider all of the suggestions. Thanks.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:57 PM   #11

Washington
Please don't give up. You have a great trailer and your tow vehicle should be more than adequate. Tires, tire pressure, speed, tongue weight and hitch height all have an impact on sway.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:09 AM   #12
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Wow, scary. (Putting it mildly!)

Read up on loading your trailer: too much weight in the back (same as too little on the front) will exacerbate the sway tendency. There are several threads here that discuss this subject... I will help you search for them - sometimes the topic morphs.

FWIW, we are using a WDH on our Escape 21, pulled by a 2013 Ford F-150 pickup; my husband likes it very much. He feels our tongue weight is a little heavy for the truck; it would probably be okay without it, but it's better with. My only problem with it is the "drawbar" is huge and heavy. No way could I manage it myself (unless I rig something for it to rest on while I shove it into place; a bridge to be crossed at some point). The ride is very smooth. (The Escape 21 is tandem axle, which I think is the same as your Bigfoot.)

Sorry I don't have much concrete advice... But I'm definitely sympathetic to your situation. Again, learn about tongue weights (10-15% of trailer weight) and how to load things... Where are your holding tanks, relative to your batteries and refrigerator, toilet, etc.? It could be the trailer is designed to have some water in the tank to offset the weights of the heavy appliances - although I am speculating. Hopefully, someone who knows more about your trailer will chime in here soon.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:01 AM   #13

British Columbia
Registry
all that rang a bell.....

google is your friend...

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...all-38731.html
Old 06-22-2016, 06:23 AM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Jane
UPDATE: Francois's link spells out the problem and that is NOT ENOUGH TONGUE WEIGHT!! It should be 10 to 15% of the trailer's weight.

Find a way of getting yours up or possible get another brand for peace of mind.

It does not have to be this way

PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP!!!

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:55 AM   #15

Tennessee
I have the rear bed model, not the front bed. Thanks to everyone for the encouraging words.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:15 PM   #16
Administrator

Registry
Here's one thread on tongue weight: Article on Tongue Weight Dynamics.

Here's another: Tongue Weight and Trailer Size.

And:
About Wind, Stabilization Bars, etc..

This thread has some posts dealing directly with the Bigfoot 21RB. How Big, Function vs Ease of Use.

I hope some of these help - and maybe give you an idea of other terms to search. Good luck!!
RV Life Network FAQ
Old 06-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #17

Tennessee
I'm confused. The previous owner used the trailer and hitch about four times a year for fourteen years with no problems. The person who drove it 4 days straight from California to bring it to me (the trailer was empty) had no problem. He used the same hitch. Why does everyone think it's a tongue weight problem? Please explain.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:47 PM   #18

British Columbia
Registry
towing flat?

since you don't provide pictures I can only guess.....ok here's one....your hitch ball is too high and you're towing "bow up" (causing insufficient...yep, you guessed it....tounge weight)

now for your "smart vehicle" problems...I can onlly empathise.....my 07 Dodge has something called anti-skid technology.....that almost got me T-boned by a bus at highway speeds once long story but when it goes into a skid the outside front wheel brakes hard!!!....that does stop the skid alright...problem is I am faster than the technology and I have already counter steered....so the one wheel braking action happens with the wheel turned....causing a violent change of direction....

whenever it's slippery I have to "de-select" this feature (comes on automatically at engine start)
Old 06-22-2016, 05:19 PM   #19

Tennessee
Francois, I promise my trailer was level when I was towing. I feel sure my problems were caused by the ESC (anti-skid). My anti-skid icon displayed at least one of the times I had the problem. It's only happening when I tow but with very little provocation ( like curvy road or changing lanes). Once the brakes engage they don't go off until I turn the car off. The brakes on the trailer are not engaged. I did not try turning off the anti-skid button but will when it happens again. I posted the problem on this forum before I had the accident and another member reported a similar problem with his jeep. At lower speeds I was able to deal with the problem but at 55mph I could not. When my accident occurred, I was easing into the left lane but then decided to stay in my lane. I believe that simple movement caused the anti-skid to come on. With the car breaking and the trailer not, the fishtailing occurred. There was damage to both the car and trailer. I also reported the problem to Chrysler but my expectations are low because they won't return my calls. Am I crazy to think that if the anti-skid brakes the car when you're towing, the trailer brakes should also engage?
Old 06-22-2016, 05:51 PM   #20
Administrator

Registry
Low tongue weight can cause sway

Quote:
Twice I had a problem with the Durango putting on the car brakes when I was towing which I believe is related to the Electronic Stability control. Basically the brakes are coming on on the SUV but not the trailer. ( I am not pressing the brake pedal.)
I think we're jumping on the "low tongue weight" bandwagon, because it's an obvious culprit when sway is a problem. (Too much weight behind the axles can contribute to low tongue weight, as others have said.) The links I posted weren't anything conclusive; I thought maybe you would see something that fits your situation.

Looking back at your description of your accident, however, it's weird for your SUV brakes to come on if you're not pressing the brake pedal. (I know nothing about the features of your Durango, so maybe what you describe is normal for the "Electronic Stability Control" but it sounds very strange.) Maybe someone with knowledge of the Durango's systems will be able to help you.
RV Life Network FAQ

Tags
bigfoot