Equalizer WD hitch on an Oliver Legacy Elite II - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-29-2015, 05:08 PM   #15

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Frank F:

Yes, the friction pads are bolted on. No holes.

thanks,,, Alan,,, n4lbl

Old 08-29-2015, 10:03 PM   #16

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
Alan,

I believe your brake battery question has been answered by now. The brakes on the Oliver are powered by the house batteries. As Bill pointed out, the batteries are housed in their own (very large) compartment on the street side of the trailer. Since the do weigh in at about 300 pounds, Oliver wisely chose to mount them directly over the axles. We have four Trojan 6 volt AGM's.

Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:18 PM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II 23' 6"
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun2 View Post
The Oliver factory sells Andersen Weight distribution hitches but I presently own an Equalizer and would prefer to not switch brands. It appears to me that the parts that attach to the frame are fairly similar. However, on my present trailer I drilled a hole through the frame and placed a bolt through the frame parts to prevent this assembly from "walking" (or moving) along the frame with use. I'm at least marginally concerned with drilling through the aluminum frame and with the potential for "galvanic" corrosion (steel and aluminum in close contact.

Anyone out there use an Equalizer hitch on their Oliver and can tell me what their experience has been?
I know I am a little late responding to this Equalizer Hitch ..... When we picked up our Oliver 23' 6" Legacy in April 2015 ,we had the Andersen Hitch installed by Oliver. After getting home , at times I did not use it because of the road/conditions & lower speed here in NY. Now having said this the difference between having it on /properly tighten at any speed was it did have the effect of less of a draw down / bounce to the rear end of our vehicle when traveling on any kind of uneven / ruff roads that would make the trailer bounce in any way. Even with our Nissan 3500HD heavy duty cargo van you could still feel a slight bounce to the rear at times when the Andersen Sway chains were not installed. Our trailer tows extremely well with or without the Andersen hitch because of the Nissan van high top design combined with its xtra heavy duty frame/suspension to haul/tow heavy loads....match that with the Oliver shape & you have a dream combo for towing. For anyone that does not have a heavy duty suspension tow vehicle I would recommend the Andersen hitch if for nothing else for how it helps with the weight distribution/bounce to the rear of your tow vehicle when traveling over bad/uneven roads .
Old 09-22-2015, 04:32 PM   #18

Name: Bill
Trailer: Oliver
North Carolina
John,

Thanks for your input. Since no one replied to my original question that had any direct experience with the "Equalizer" brand W/D hitch on the Oliver, I decided to just go ahead and get the Anderson with my new Elite II. Also, the Anderson has a "cleaner" appearance and, obviously, works with the Oliver. My present camper is not nearly as heavy as the Oliver and my Equalizer W/D hitch is way overkill for it, but, as you mention, the ride without any bounce is certainly noticeable and preferable. In addition, I believe that the safety factor of having these W/D hitches is worth the price.

Bill
Old 09-22-2015, 04:42 PM   #19

Name: John
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II 23' 6"
New York
Hi Bill ..... Your right, $695(for the Andersen) is not much when considering the possible outcome when it comes to you & your family's safety. ... John
Old 09-25-2015, 06:53 PM   #20

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I have never seen the need for any kind of WD hitch with my Oliver. The tongue weight is only around 400 lbs fully loaded for travel. It tows beautifully, even at 70 mph. I think if you have a full size pickup, a WD hitch is just a waste of money and extra work for you each time you travel.

I've used the Equalizer in the past on a standard box type trailer. It's a PITA all around. But those inferior trailers needed it, even with my 3/4 ton truck. The Oliver is a completely different animal.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - http://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:09 PM   #21

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1999 Casita 17' SD
Ohio
Ron
At a rally this past weekend I weighted tongue weights using my Sherline scale for those that wanted it.
There were two Olivers and one weighted just over 400 at 412# but the other weighted 537#

A full 125# difference...

I don't know anything about how each trailer was equipped but both owners had Anderson hitches.

Joe
Old 09-30-2015, 05:16 PM   #22

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I'd say 125# is not alot to worry about. Even the 537 is a light tongue weight for a 6,000# trailer.

Were these both the 23' model? Were the tongues at the same length setting? Did they both have the same size LP bottles and filled to the same? Levels in waste & water tanks? There are lots of variables that could effect the tongue weights.

The normal range for tongue weight would be 10-15% with traditional trailers for stability. For some reason the Olivers run much lighter, but have much more stable towing dyanamics. Part of it may be the lower center of gravity, part of it may be the suspension setup and the axle positions.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - http://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:24 PM   #23
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
We are using a Reese dual cam and works great with no bounce. Quality WDH without all the shortcomings of the Andersen.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:57 PM   #24

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1999 Casita 17' SD
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post
I'd say 125# is not alot to worry about. Even the 537 is a light tongue weight for a 6,000# trailer.
[snip]
Part of it may be the lower center of gravity, part of it may be the suspension setup and the axle positions.
I can't answer any of your questions but the owners attributed it to fresh water.

There's also the fact they are tandem axle trailers to.

I asked several owners of 2 axle trailers if they knew what % was recommended and none knew

Tags
oliver