Escape Towing with a Rav4???? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2020, 04:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Escape Towing with a Rav4????

Has, or does, anyone tow an Escape 17A with a Toyota RAV4? We’ve towed with a Sienna and Highlander. RAV4 seems too small but looking at specs. it seems possible. Thank you for any replies.

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:37 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 2016 Parkliner
Virginia
This from the Escape site re the 17A:

"With a dry weight of only 2190lbs (Plan A) or 2540lbs (Plan B ), the Escape 17 has been designed specifically for mid-sized vehicles such as mini-vans, SUVs and mid-sized trucks with a V6 engine or a minimum towing capacity of 4000lbs."

The RAV4 max configuration towing capacity that can be purchased as I read it is 3590 lbs. And that isn't even counting car passsengers or cargo.

Thus I would think towing the Escape 17A with a RAV4 would be a bit too risky for me.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:57 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Depends.
I've been towing my Escape 17B with a 2008 RAV4 Sport V6 since 2008. It is rated 3,500 lbs. max tow and 350 lbs. tongue weight. I use a weight distribution hitch. My 17B weighs 3,200 lbs loaded to camp. Tongue weight is about 320/340 lbs.

In 2013 Toyota changed the model and it wasn't suitable for towing until they recently introduced another redesign.
Only issue I have with my RAV4 is the gas tank is rather small requiring more fuel stops.
There are several others using the same combo.
So, it depends on the RAV4 and its specs.
Attached Thumbnails
caravan three web.jpg  
Old 01-25-2020, 05:06 PM   #4

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
There are at least two owners who have or at one point had a RAV4 towing an Escape 17B. Glenn is one and he is active on the forums, so I'm sure he will be along shortly. (Edit to add: Speak of the devil.)

Here is a spreadsheet showing what some members tow and what they tow it with: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...6oSPkw/pubhtml.

You've checked the specs so you know that the RAV4 Adventure trim is the only option for current model year. I have a hunch Glenn tows with one of the older RAV4s that had the V6 engine. Here is a relevant thread on the Escape forum: Toyota rav 4 v6 as tow vehicle - Escape Trailer Owners Community.
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:46 PM   #5

Registry
Thank you Justus, especially for link on Escape Forum, I did a search there but didn’t find that thread.

Old 01-25-2020, 05:48 PM   #6

Registry
thank you Glenn for your experience and explaining the years they made redesigns. This isn’t an immediate thing, our Highlander was getting some (mouse caused) electrical work done and they gave us a 2019 RAV4 as a loaner, I was impressed by the leg room (important to me) on passenger side, long ago my mom had an early RAV, I could barely sit in or drive it! Good to know with the right model we could tow.

Old 01-25-2020, 05:50 PM   #7

Hope the seat is improved as well as the leg room. My wife and my daughter despise my RAV4 seats. I didn't spend an extra grand on leather and electric adjustment.
My bum does get sore too, but I have more tolerance.

I see your 17 is called "Turtle". Mine is "Toad".
Old 01-26-2020, 11:21 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Stopping power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penney H. & Mike E. View Post
Has, or does, anyone tow an Escape 17A with a Toyota RAV4? We’ve towed with a Sienna and Highlander. RAV4 seems too small but looking at specs. it seems possible. Thank you for any replies.
For what it's worth, I pulled a Casita 17 with a RAV4 (6cyl). It pulled beautifully with a WD hitch and anti-sway. I moved up to an Escape 19 pulling with a Highlander with the same tow rating. In both cases it wasn't pulling I worried about, it was stopping power. Recently upgraded to Highlander w/ #5000 capacity. Not sure that equates to better stopping power but I feel much more comfortable with it.
Glenn
Glenn Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 02:27 PM   #9
vin

Name: vince
Trailer: escape
Georgia
If you coughed up the grand you would still be sitting on a bleacher seat, only covered with leather. Then your bum would hurt for two reasons. Standard Toyota comfort in all their vehicles.
vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 02:56 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Only a V6 Rav4 might do the job, But Toyota no longer has a V6 option in the Rav4.
I suggest the Highlander for more room, and 5000 LB tow capacity.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Only a V6 Rav4 might do the job, But Toyota no longer has a V6 option in the Rav4.
I suggest the Highlander for more room, and 5000 LB tow capacity.

The latest RAV4 is rated 3,500 / 350 lbs. and has a four cylinder engine versus six. Tow rating is the same. Number of cylinders is not. I don't think that's an issue.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:11 PM   #12

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Until recently I pulled my Escape 15 with a Subaru Forester (2400 lb tow rating, 5-speed manual) and it pulled fine. Downside was feeling a lot of bumps that the trailer hit. One of the reasons I finally upgraded was that it was more "work" to tow with a small car- but I towed it with the Forester for 3 years. I considered the new Rav4 Adventure for towing but wanted to go bigger. The 15 is a little lighter than the 17B (mine is a 15A) but I suspect a comparable experience.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:02 PM   #13

Name: Ben
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
I had a 2010 17b and a 2009 RAV4 6 cylinder. I pulled the trailer about 5 years with the RAV4 and decided that it was time to upgrade to more towing power and bought a Tacoma. Short range was an issue but more importantly was the transmission; we could smell it getting hot on some of the mountain climbs and that is the primary place we go. I thought about adding a transmission cooler but went with a truck with tow package and that solved all my problems.

Ben
btroxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:13 PM   #14

How time flies. My 2008 is almost 12 years old. It came with tow prep package, which includes transmission fluid cooler, larger radiator and alternator.
I have low miles and I'm not planning on replacing it although my daughter is urging me to test drive her new Lexus RXL.
If I were to replace it, I'd get something with a 5,000 max tow weight, a larger gas tank and more comfortable seats, like maybe a Lexus.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:32 PM   #15

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus C View Post
There are at least two owners who have or at one point had a RAV4 towing an Escape 17B. Glenn is one and he is active on the forums, so I'm sure he will be along shortly. (Edit to add: Speak of the devil.)

Here is a spreadsheet showing what some members tow and what they tow it with: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...6oSPkw/pubhtml.

You've checked the specs so you know that the RAV4 Adventure trim is the only option for current model year. I have a hunch Glenn tows with one of the older RAV4s that had the V6 engine. Here is a relevant thread on the Escape forum: Toyota rav 4 v6 as tow vehicle - Escape Trailer Owners Community.
Love the spreadsheet. Was that done for the Escape forum or? I'd like to add to the listings.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:54 AM   #16

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Mississippi
question

Don't forget the most important question. Can you safely stop what you are towing in a panic stop with the TV you are planning to use?
snuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy2 View Post
Don't forget the most important question. Can you safely stop what you are towing in a panic stop with the TV you are planning to use?

The trailer has its own brakes.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:12 PM   #18

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Mississippi
yes

And in a perfect world they always work!
snuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 02:15 PM   #19

You're positive your tow vehicle brakes are always going to work, because they are big?

Tags
escape