Escape vs Bigfoot towing ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2019, 05:47 PM   #1

Name: Hugh
Trailer: Bigfoot
South Dakota
Escape vs Bigfoot towing ?

We have an Escape 19 that we're quite pleased with. However, the ride in the trailer is very rough. This shown by stuff flying around the interior when traveling. I once road about a mile in the trailer to see why stuff was flying. It was a very rough ride. I believe Escape uses a short swing arm with rubber sleeve for suspension and shock. The 19 is a dual axle trailer.

We're thinking of moving to a Bigfoot, 21RB or 25RQ. These, I believe, use a standard leaf spring and separate shocks. Is the Bigfoot less susceptible to giving a rough ride? Do owners have trouble with stuff flying around the trailer? Can anyone compare the Bigfoot ride to an Escape.

Thank you for any help.
Box Elder, SD
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:54 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
What are you running for tires, and at what pressure?
If you fill them to max, your ride will be harsh.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:59 PM   #3

South Dakota
Glenn:

I have run them at full pressure, 50psi. I'll try lowering the pressure and see if it makes a difference. Any suggestions on pressure to run them at?

Good idea, thanks.
Box Elder, SD
Old 08-10-2019, 06:11 PM   #4

It depends on the tire you are running and weight of the trailer.
This is a Maxxis chart.

https://www.maxxis.com/trailer/trail...nflation-chart
Old 08-10-2019, 06:48 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Escape uses a torsion axle which is the standard used by a lot of RVs.My 19 is not throwing stuff all over the place.

First difference I would notice with the BF is the added width. BF is 8-4 wide. Newest Escape 19 is 7' wide. While the wider width is a nice benefit inside the trailer, its more work towing IMHO.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:26 PM   #6

South Dakota
Glenn:

E-Trailer suggests running at full pressure. If run at low pressure they are likely to over heat due to the heavy sidewalls. Makes no sense to me, lower load will give less deflection and less heating.

We're running ProMeter ST205/75R14. I couldn't find charts for ProMeter, but charts for Goodyear mirror those you have for Maxxis. Likely some standard.

I've been meaning to get a better weight on our trailer. The last I have was 3600lb with axle weight of 3300lb. ETI now says 2860lb dry axle weight. Given that I'd guess my 3300lb is light, we have a lot of stuff on board.

But 3500lb would be some 875lb per tire. The lowest rating on these charts is 1170lb at 25psi. So 25psi? That seems crazy low to me, but it's what the numbers give. What are others running?

Thanks Glenn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
It depends on the tire you are running and weight of the trailer.
This is a Maxxis chart.

https://www.maxxis.com/trailer/trail...nflation-chart
Box Elder, SD
Old 08-10-2019, 08:28 PM   #7

South Dakota
Bill:

I think the Bigfoot has leaf springs. Can anyone verify or refute this?

What pressures are you running for your '19?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Escape uses a torsion axle which is the standard used by almost all RVs. +10 air pressure. My 19 is not throwing stuff all over the place.
Box Elder, SD
Old 08-10-2019, 08:54 PM   #8

Registry
I have Carlisles, the 81 MPH version. Radial Trail HD as I recall. The OEM Carlisles lasted well over 40K miles, so I stuck with them.

The new tires are higher pressure rated, 65PSI max. I am running 50PSI. Driven to AK and back, plus several coast to coast trips. Haven't noticed any problems.

I ran the original Carlisles which were not high speed rated, 45 to 50PSI. Tires are WAY underloaded by Escapes dual axle design.

I can't imagine running 25PSI. Don't do it!!!

Sounds like you have another problem?

Of course, I don't leave stuff loose inside the trailer. Stuff is put away. But I am not having stuff scatter. Now on my 1977 Trillium with its 42 year old axle, you bet, stuff moves around quite a bit.

If I were you, I would head over to the Escape forum. Your experience does not sound normal to me. I'd look for more Escape owners to validate.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:49 AM   #9

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
My Bigfoot has six leaf springs thought only five but found out when I had a lift kit put in there are six.

I run 42 lbs tire pressure sometimes 45 lbs.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:10 AM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: Escape 21 and Northern Lite truck camper 2014 2500 HD Duramax
Michigan
One issue using low tire pressures..... during a side load, skid or, hard left to right sway there is a good chance the tire will break away from the rim.

That would make any bad situation much worse

I run at 50 psi on ours. We have never had things "fly around" inside, and we have not limited the speeds much on gravel roads either.

If I leave my phone on the dinette table it is still there at the next stop, though I would never do that more than once
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:29 AM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post

But 3500lb would be some 875lb per tire. The lowest rating on these charts is 1170lb at 25psi. So 25psi? That seems crazy low to me, but it's what the numbers give. What are others running?
The chart is not the recommended pressure. It is the absolute lowest pressure that will carry the listed load. And that is the pressure when the tire is cold.

Which means we have to adjust according to what we think is sensible. A hot day on the highway at 25 PSI is asking for trouble. But 25 PSI on a cold day on a rough road at 20 miles per hour would be fine.

This discussion always leads to the question: Who knows more about tires, the manufacturer or the guy towing his trailer? or Who should someone pay attention to with respect to inflation pressures?

Read the chart carefully. It says: TIRE LOAD LIMITS (LBS) AT VARIOUS COLD INFLATION PRESSURES (PSI). To me, load limit means any more load and the tire will be in trouble at that pressure. No safety margin. And that means, its not a good pressure to run. High speed at low pressure causes a lot of heat buildup. Hot weather makes that situation worse.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:49 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have talked to a couple tire shop pros about trailer tire pressure, including my late cousin and current tire shop owner. Both have said that it is best to use the maximum pressure the trailer tire is designed for due to the design of the tire. It's stiff sidewalls which are designed for carrying load that are not meant to flex and will wear much faster if allowed to do so caused from the heat produced by this action. The trailer suspension should take any of the regular road bump and dip abuse, whether torsion axles or springs.

Softer trailer tires also allow more bounce and sway.

I have always kept my trailer tires at maximum pressure for all my trailers which right now is three, a dump trailer, a cargo trailer and my Escape 5.0TA, and have never had any issue due to this.

Anyway, I will always trust the advice of the experts on this.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:49 AM   #13

Registry
OK, get more data time. Too little or too much tongue weight can cause trailer bounce.

Take your set up to a local truck stop, get a couple of weights, and for $15 or less you will know what your tongue weight is. Front storage box with battery(s) inside it and lots of gear can drive the weight up. A full fresh water tank, or a bike rack on the back and you drive the weight down.

It could also be a suspension issue on your truck. Bounce is not normal. Sure, on a really bumpy road, you can get some, but on a typical road, not so much. If you google trailer bounce, you will see people getting it with all different brand trailers, so its not brand specific.

If bounce was "normal" on an Escape, you would see people screaming about it on forums like the Escape forum, with a lot of "me too!" comments.

If you are like me, the suspension on my F150 is at or near end of life, 9 years old with 120,000 miles on it, 75% towing.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:44 AM   #14

South Dakota
Bill:

The added width is a concern. The '19 is the same width as the RAM. Another 8" per side would require more concentration when on the road. But I don't think this will effect the ride, other than making it harder to avoid pot holes.

Thanks.

Quote:
First difference I would notice with the BF is the added width. BF is 8-4 wide. Newest Escape 19 is 7' wide. While the wider width is a nice benefit inside the trailer, its more work towing IMHO.
Box Elder, SD
Old 08-11-2019, 08:48 AM   #15

South Dakota
Daniel:

Thanks for the confirmation. Does it also have a separate shock absorber?

My suspicion is this suspension will give a smoother ride, in the trailer, than a rubber supported swing arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post
My Bigfoot has six leaf springs thought only five but found out when I had a lift kit put in there are six.

I run 42 lbs tire pressure sometimes 45 lbs.
Box Elder, SD
Old 08-11-2019, 08:48 AM   #16

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Are your tires rated load range D or E? Load range E tires have heavier, stiffer sidewalls which will give a rougher ride. With your dual axle 19 foot Escape, load range D should be more than adequate..
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:43 AM   #17

South Dakota
Bill:

You are right. However, my question is mainly about the Bigfoot. How the Bigfoot rides and, pie in the sky, how it compares the the Escape.

I'm sure our Escape acts the same as others. It's rough on bad roads, and there are a lot of bad roads out there. Lots of posts about cabinets opening etc. Just ride in the trailer for a mile or two and the roughness will become evident. But the question is the Bigfoot any better, my describing the Escape was just background.

All good information, thank you. But the thread was drifting.

Quote:
If I were you, I would head over to the Escape forum. Your experience does not sound normal to me. I'd look for more Escape owners to validate.
Box Elder, SD
Old 08-11-2019, 09:43 AM   #18

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Daniel:

Thanks for the confirmation. Does it also have a separate shock absorber?

My suspicion is this suspension will give a smoother ride, in the trailer, than a rubber supported swing arm.

No Bigfoot does not use shock absorbers just leaf springs.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:45 AM   #19

Hugh, I think you just want a new toy.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:46 AM   #20

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Bill:

I think the Bigfoot has leaf springs. Can anyone verify or refute this?

What pressures are you running for your '19?

Thanks.
Hi Hugh . When we had the original Carlisle’s , we ran at 48 lbs . When we replaced with Maxxis , we have rated D , we run at 60 . There doesn’t seem to be any problems with stuff flying . We have tire sensors and the tires especially in the summer driving really heat up that is my reason for cutting a little off the pressures . I have noticed the Maxxis run a lot cooler then the Carlisle’s did , but they were softer tire and C ‘s . I would check your truck suspension as mentioned , loading and make sure nothing is wrong with trailer suspension . Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot, escape