European Towing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2010, 02:46 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile European Towing

Always the question, "Why can Europeans tow with smaller cars than we can?" I found this picture from Robirob and it may hold at least a partial explanation:

Notice the "80" in the red circle on the back of the trailer. That means this vehicle may only go 80 kph, roughly 50 mph.

The attached image is not even a picture, but it will display after clicking and downloading. What am I doing wrong?

All the posts in the tutorial are dated 2005. Apparently this new way to upload photos is different. The 'manage attachments' only lets me add more photos.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Robirob2.bmp (105.1 KB, 125 views)

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:55 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Always the question, "Why can Europeans tow with smaller cars than we can?" I found this picture from Robirob and it may hold at least a partial explanation:

Notice the "80" in the red circle on the back of the trailer. That means this vehicle may only go 80 kph, roughly 50 mph.

What you really need is a Volvo
Attached Thumbnails
153142-1628590.jpg   153142-1433770.jpg  

CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Funny, didn't I see these on Turbobricks.com, just the other day?

Old 07-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 17 ft Escape B ('Cafe Egg')
Registry
Well, that is the normal picture you get in Europe. Also small Opel Astra (same as Saturn Astra) has to work hard... Uh, duh, I don't know now how to post the pic of such a car with a trailer in tow... How can you post pictures here after this redesign?
Gerda, H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #5

Registry
[QUOTE=Roger C H;217779]Always the question, "Why can Europeans tow with smaller cars than we can?" I found this picture from Robirob and it may hold at least a partial explanation:

Well, I will try here again with the Opel Astra towing...
Attached Thumbnails
Opel Astra with travel trailer in Germany.jpg  
Old 07-30-2010, 07:15 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
Registry
How about these ones ? I think it was the last time they went out with their coach

Old 07-30-2010, 07:58 AM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Funny, didn't I see these on Turbobricks.com, just the other day?

Old 07-30-2010, 11:12 AM   #8

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Ha, I hadn't seen the one with the trailer stuck in the alley. Wow.
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Some would suggest that it has to do with how we in NA are over governed regarding what is safe and what is not and that we face a far higher risk of being sued for doing something silly than they do in Europe.

Have you ever been on an autobahn in Germany where there is no general speed limit? Its an eye opener and I promise its a ride you will remember! :-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:38 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Have you ever been on an autobahn in Germany where there is no general speed limit? Its an eye opener and I promise its a ride you will remember! :-)
Yes I have!! And before any sections had any speed limits either, like some do now.

It was a thrill, for sure. You could sure make progress.

But with the freedom to drive as safely as you and your vehicle are responsibly capable of, there is the the discipline that goes with it. Like paying attention to one's driving, other road users and the conditions.

I think the US has a great Interstate system overall so it's a shame it can't be better utilized.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:31 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
I'm fairly sure that the trailer "stuck" in the alley was staged for benefit of youtube and laughs.
Most of the roads in Europe are much smaller and more narrow than our interstates (the autobahn and some major E highways aside), and generally European speed limits are slower than ours. Towing distances are shorter, for many, just to get out of the city and into the countryside. Governments seem generally less restrictive of our "safety", I think.
And most campers I've seen there don't have massive holding tanks, but a porta potty or a cassette toilet instead, if that, few generators on the tongue, extra gear etc.... less weight to tow, and generally small trailers/caravans. Campers walk a long distance to the campground facilities, and don't think anything of it. More tents, and more trailers that are small "hard-sided tents on wheels" like ours, so they can be pulled by smaller, everyday use family vehicles.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:16 PM   #12

Registry
Ah, yes! The Autobahn!! The 'flyers' drive in the inside lane with their left turn signal activated to warn other drivers that they are driving fast, the Citroens and Mercedes. Whilst the slow vehicles and trucks if you can believe it, drive in the outside lanes and are regulated by law to lower speeds. The Germans don't fool around. If you are stopped and the Polizei (police) even think you have been drinking, they take your license right there and you don't get it back, unlike the US. Driving with a person who pegged the speedo on their Mercedes at 200 kph (125 mph) and then with another one with a newer Mercedes who pegged their speedo at 240 kph (150 mph). You get places really, really fast! Weee! But the crashes can be horrendous.
Attached Thumbnails
DCP_2130 (Medium).JPG  

Old 08-01-2010, 06:05 PM   #13

Registry
Hihi, the Autobahn is where I learned driving... I still think driving here in the States or in Canada is like driving on an empty field in Germany... I enjoy the American way, and will never understand how some Germans are so much opposed to any sort of speed limit on the Autobahn!
Old 08-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #14

Registry
With regards to travel trailers and even motorhomes: At least in Germany you have to watch how much weight you are allowed to load until they are at their max allowed weight. Usually it is only very little you can load; more than a thousand pounds what I can still load on Cafe Egg until it is at the 3500 pounds is rather rare!
Old 08-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #15

Registry
I don't know how they drive in Australia. I understand they do fly in the Outback. But just to be fair, I have a shot of an Aussie patrol car also. I do think the color schemes they use are neat!
Attached Thumbnails
DCP_2088 (Medium).JPG  

Old 08-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveAlive View Post
It's true. I was compelled to "nick" the photo's when I saw Roger's post!

I'm glad to know there are Volvo owners here! Otto, I see from your signature that you're a fellow brick owner, but what do you drive, Clive? I'll be using my '89 244 with the M47 transmission as my tow vehicle. I'm not fortunate enough to have a turbo model, but I'm hoping it won't have too much trouble pulling my soon to be acquired '71 Boler. Any advice you guys have for me is much appreciated!
Matt G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
I'm glad to know there are Volvo owners here! Otto, I see from your signature that you're a fellow brick owner, but what do you drive, Clive? I'll be using my '89 244 with the M47 transmission as my tow vehicle. I'm not fortunate enough to have a turbo model, but I'm hoping it won't have too much trouble pulling my soon to be acquired '71 Boler. Any advice you guys have for me is much appreciated!
I'm glad to meet another Volvo owner too! You should have no trouble with your 244. Tow rating is 3300 lbs with brakes, 2000 without. The M47 is nice. And 89 was a good year! I had the M46 in an earlier wagon I had. I think it was a bit of a rare combination as it was a GL and they were mostly auto.

I only have two now; an 84 244 GL and 85 245 DL. Both automatic. The wagon is for towing and I have the IPD overload springs on the rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo's at Ikea -- 11-1-09 010.jpg  
Old 08-06-2010, 05:36 PM   #18

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
I'm glad to know there are Volvo owners here! ... I'll be using my '89 244 with the M47 transmission as my tow vehicle... I'm hoping it won't have too much trouble pulling my soon to be acquired '71 Boler.
Hi Matt,

I tow my Boler 13 with a 1989 245 and it does a great job towing. I think the long wheelbase makes for a fairly relaxing ride. With an autobox I have a transmission cooler.

The hitch installation is very confidence inspiring with its multiple strong attachments to the frame rails. The only small issue I had is that the hitch's side bars where you attach the safety chains are a bit thicker than the usual ones, so some of the standard S rings don't fit over them. At first I looped the chains over the bars and back on themselves and attached them with (properly rated) quick links; now I have a set of hooks (with retainer clips) that are large enough to go over the side bars.

Welcome to the "square car tows round egg" club

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:33 PM   #19

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
I just put a turbo engine/auto AW71 into the '91 240 wagon. One of the pictures from Turbobricks MidWest Madness this year, shows the engine complete with Saab air cleaner. I have airlift bags in the rear springs. Still getting about 25 mpg, but its a lot quicker.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:41 PM   #20

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Clive (which, by the way, is being typed with a Torslanda accent in my head),

The wagon that you have the overload springs on --- do you ever drive it sans trailer? The reason I ask is that my current 1989 245 had slightly sagging rear springs (without any load). The trailing arm and other bushings were fine, so I decided to replace the springs, and went for the IPD overload coils. Ugh, they have destroyed the handling (without trailer). Driving is torture!

With the original springs, a set of anti-sways from a turbo wagon, and new Boge Turbo Gas rear shocks (late last summer), I was *loving* the way the car handled. But I put the springs on a couple of weeks ago and... ugh! I noticed the difference right away (felt like the rear of the car was kind of "sproinging" around or like my shocks had gone bad or something), and on a long road trip shortly thereafter my back was cringing on every joint in the pavement. On my way home the car was pretty loaded down and it was less noticable.

If I were going to be towing all the time, and carrying a load of camping stuff, it would probably be fine. But since this is my daily driver..... I don't know.... I'm thinking of going back to regular rear springs (this, after years of wanting the IPD overloads!).

So, I was just wondering what your experience with them has been.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote