Extension Mirrors - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-28-2009, 02:10 AM   #15

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Okay, I plan on being a full timer, traveling through all the states. I don't know what kind of trailer my friend's friend was towing, but I would rather have them than not, no matter the TV or trailer (I plan on a Toyota 4runner + Casita), but none the less, the less trouble the better. Thank you for the links, I am checking them out. In this area, the most likely trailer was a small toy hauler, but I don't know, a lot of the younger guys tow small travel trailers. Like I said, better safe than sorry if you know what I mean? Thanks to all and any help, still, would be appreciated.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #16

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I have those mirrors and like them!

Old 01-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The laws generally don't say extension mirrors, they usually just present a specification like 200 feet and one meets that with the existing mirrors or extension mirrors -- Glue-on convex mirrors aren't going to be of much help to see something 200 feet away...

Look up the law for YOUR state (most I've seen have the 200' spec), pace off the distance behind your rig in a parking lot and put up an orange cone -- If you can see it, you are OK -- If not, something has to change until you can see it.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:19 PM   #18

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
And law aside, as Pete alludes to, you should have them for safety, if they're necessary. I don't know what your trailer-towing experience is, but you can have a looooong blind area behind the trailer if your mirrors don't project out far enough from your vehicle. Basically, the further out they are, the better your view. So within reason, I wouldn't skimp.

Raya
Old 01-30-2009, 06:02 AM   #19

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Whether or not you need auxiliary mirrors is a function of vehicle width, both the tow vehicle and the trailer. The Excursion I used to have, and my Titan both have mirrors on stalks that extend out an additional 6" or so, specially set up for trailer towing. When towing my Scamp 16 with the Excursion, I didn't need to even extend them to meet the 200' rule. With my Bigfoot 25RQ I need them extended. When towing the Scamp 16 with the same Tundra, I didn't need them. When towing the Bigfoot 17 with the Tundra, I needed auxiliary mirrors to see behind.

My suggestion is that you follow Pete's advice... pace off 200' and put a cone or box or something similar immediately in a line behind your trailer, and then find out if you can see it with your mirrors. If you can, you're good. If you can't, you need to do something differently.

Roger
Old 01-30-2009, 11:50 PM   #20

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Just wondering ...

I can see through front and back windows with my windsheild mirror when the curtains are pulled back. How does that fit in with the 200' rule?

And does the 200' apply to one of the side mirrors or both?

Keeping in mind that many of the bolers it's descendants the bodies are shifted curbside.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:42 AM   #21

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
I have a stone guard on the front window that doesn't allow a view through the trailer. A strap-on extension mirror, on the drivers side, helps to see everything behind, except the tailgater that always seems to like looking at the back bumper of the trailer. When on multi lane roads and in the passing lane, I can see far enough behind on the passenger side, to see the right lane and, to change lanes safely using just the vehicle mirror. So do I still need a second extension mirror? I'd feel like I've got wings!
Old 02-01-2009, 10:22 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
A strap-on extension mirror, on the drivers side, helps to see everything behind, except the tailgater that always seems to like looking at the back bumper of the trailer. When on multi lane roads and in the passing lane, I can see far enough behind on the passenger side, to see the right lane and, to change lanes safely using just the vehicle mirror. So do I still need a second extension mirror? I'd feel like I've got wings!
We're setup the same way, and I've also wondered about the need for a mirror on the right because I also feel like I can see the right lane okay. However, now that I'm aware of the 200' rule, at least in some areas, I'm going to pace off 200' behind, set something there, and see if it's visible in the existing mirror on the right. If not, we'll sprout wings, too!

Parker
Old 02-01-2009, 11:28 AM   #23

Name: Dan
Minnesota
Quote:
That certainly obfuscates the subject. It doesn't even say you have to see anything with them, they just have to be there.

I would certainly use mirror extensions if I felt I couldn't see traffic that was overtaking me or in the lane next to me if I was changing lanes.
It certainly does confuse the situation. What is the law trying to accomplish? If it wants you to be able to see a cone 200 feet behind you in the middle of the lane, it's not going to happen. This certainly doesn't happen for tractor-trailers; especially the double and triple rigs you see out on the highway.

It seems to me that your side mirrors need to be able to see all along the side of your rig and the lane next to your rig, not the lane behind you. Being able to see directly behind your trailer might be nice, but not essential.

-- Dan Meyer
Old 02-01-2009, 11:36 AM   #24

Name: jim
Trailer: Casita 2000 17ft. Liberty
California
Quote:
We're setup the same way, and I've also wondered about the need for a mirror on the right because I also feel like I can see the right lane okay. However, now that I'm aware of the 200' rule, at least in some areas, I'm going to pace off 200' behind, set something there, and see if it's visible in the existing mirror on the right. If not, we'll sprout wings, too!

Parker
I tried the Mckesh mirrors-a real nightmare. Clumsy and too big.
I have used the ones with the rubber straps about 6 times.
Were good but I did have to shave a little plastic off the curbside strap hooks to get it to fit the Toyota mirror frame.
Inexpensive too.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #25

Name: marvonw
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Great Lakes area-US
Quote:
It certainly does confuse the situation. What is the law trying to accomplish? If it wants you to be able to see a cone 200 feet behind you in the middle of the lane, it's not going to happen. This certainly doesn't happen for tractor-trailers; especially the double and triple rigs you see out on the highway.

It seems to me that your side mirrors need to be able to see all along the side of your rig and the lane next to your rig, not the lane behind you. Being able to see directly behind your trailer might be nice, but not essential.

-- Dan Meyer
Thanks for succinctly summing up the situation. I agree with you. So, if not essential, why the reported 200' rule? I'm new to the rv pulling, but have many miles of other trailer hauling - all without extension mirrors. I do like a small convex mirror inside my driver side mirror to help locate blind spot drivers. Directly behind me? That is that driver's responsibility. You know the popular semi sticker: "If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you". Maybe we all should have that on our rv bumpers.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:32 PM   #26

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
You know the popular semi sticker: "If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you". Maybe we all should have that on our rv bumpers.
Link to Labelmaster Website
Type [b]RT6 into the "Product Search" function.

I put one on my Compact Jr. and one on my Fiber Stream.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:15 PM   #27

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I think I am going to get a sticker that says "Stay back, Ive got a Leaky dump valve".
Old 02-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #28

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The 200' rule is not a rule of thumb invented by a bunch of RVers, it's a specification found in the laws of some states and provinces, so one gets one's opportunity to argue the merits of the law in front of a judge.

200' is a long way back, 2/3rds of a football field. Most likely also applies to regular automobile with back seat full of passengers and packages

Since there are a lot of states and provinces, once again what we say here doesn't matter, it's what your home state/province has to say. there's nothing in the law about a traffic cone; that's merely a way to find out how far you can see.

That said, the law generally wants you to be able to see 200' feet behind you, and it doesn't matter whether that is by OEM mirrors, add-on extension mirrors, looking through the windows or chainsawing the top off the egg so it doesn't block vision. I suspect that the citation for not having "extension mirrors" is erroneous unless the laws of that state specify they must be extension mirrors, which I doubt because many large stock trucks come with more than adequate mirrors that are permanently fixed.