Extension Mirrors - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2009, 08:42 AM   #21

Trailer: Boler 1984
I have a stone guard on the front window that doesn't allow a view through the trailer. A strap-on extension mirror, on the drivers side, helps to see everything behind, except the tailgater that always seems to like looking at the back bumper of the trailer. When on multi lane roads and in the passing lane, I can see far enough behind on the passenger side, to see the right lane and, to change lanes safely using just the vehicle mirror. So do I still need a second extension mirror? I'd feel like I've got wings!
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:22 AM   #22

Name: Parker
Trailer: Escape 19
Ohio
Quote:
A strap-on extension mirror, on the drivers side, helps to see everything behind, except the tailgater that always seems to like looking at the back bumper of the trailer. When on multi lane roads and in the passing lane, I can see far enough behind on the passenger side, to see the right lane and, to change lanes safely using just the vehicle mirror. So do I still need a second extension mirror? I'd feel like I've got wings!
We're setup the same way, and I've also wondered about the need for a mirror on the right because I also feel like I can see the right lane okay. However, now that I'm aware of the 200' rule, at least in some areas, I'm going to pace off 200' behind, set something there, and see if it's visible in the existing mirror on the right. If not, we'll sprout wings, too!

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:28 AM   #23

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
That certainly obfuscates the subject. It doesn't even say you have to see anything with them, they just have to be there.

I would certainly use mirror extensions if I felt I couldn't see traffic that was overtaking me or in the lane next to me if I was changing lanes.
It certainly does confuse the situation. What is the law trying to accomplish? If it wants you to be able to see a cone 200 feet behind you in the middle of the lane, it's not going to happen. This certainly doesn't happen for tractor-trailers; especially the double and triple rigs you see out on the highway.

It seems to me that your side mirrors need to be able to see all along the side of your rig and the lane next to your rig, not the lane behind you. Being able to see directly behind your trailer might be nice, but not essential.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:36 AM   #24

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
Quote:
We're setup the same way, and I've also wondered about the need for a mirror on the right because I also feel like I can see the right lane okay. However, now that I'm aware of the 200' rule, at least in some areas, I'm going to pace off 200' behind, set something there, and see if it's visible in the existing mirror on the right. If not, we'll sprout wings, too!

Parker
I tried the Mckesh mirrors-a real nightmare. Clumsy and too big.
I have used the ones with the rubber straps about 6 times.
Were good but I did have to shave a little plastic off the curbside strap hooks to get it to fit the Toyota mirror frame.
Inexpensive too.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #25

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
It certainly does confuse the situation. What is the law trying to accomplish? If it wants you to be able to see a cone 200 feet behind you in the middle of the lane, it's not going to happen. This certainly doesn't happen for tractor-trailers; especially the double and triple rigs you see out on the highway.

It seems to me that your side mirrors need to be able to see all along the side of your rig and the lane next to your rig, not the lane behind you. Being able to see directly behind your trailer might be nice, but not essential.

-- Dan Meyer
Thanks for succinctly summing up the situation. I agree with you. So, if not essential, why the reported 200' rule? I'm new to the rv pulling, but have many miles of other trailer hauling - all without extension mirrors. I do like a small convex mirror inside my driver side mirror to help locate blind spot drivers. Directly behind me? That is that driver's responsibility. You know the popular semi sticker: "If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you". Maybe we all should have that on our rv bumpers.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:32 PM   #26

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
You know the popular semi sticker: "If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you". Maybe we all should have that on our rv bumpers.
Link to Labelmaster Website
Type [b]RT6 into the "Product Search" function.

I put one on my Compact Jr. and one on my Fiber Stream.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:15 PM   #27

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I think I am going to get a sticker that says "Stay back, Ive got a Leaky dump valve".
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #28

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The 200' rule is not a rule of thumb invented by a bunch of RVers, it's a specification found in the laws of some states and provinces, so one gets one's opportunity to argue the merits of the law in front of a judge.

200' is a long way back, 2/3rds of a football field. Most likely also applies to regular automobile with back seat full of passengers and packages

Since there are a lot of states and provinces, once again what we say here doesn't matter, it's what your home state/province has to say. there's nothing in the law about a traffic cone; that's merely a way to find out how far you can see.

That said, the law generally wants you to be able to see 200' feet behind you, and it doesn't matter whether that is by OEM mirrors, add-on extension mirrors, looking through the windows or chainsawing the top off the egg so it doesn't block vision. I suspect that the citation for not having "extension mirrors" is erroneous unless the laws of that state specify they must be extension mirrors, which I doubt because many large stock trucks come with more than adequate mirrors that are permanently fixed.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:28 PM   #29

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Florida
I had extension mirrors on my 2000 Blazer when I had an 8'wide stick built. They were a nuisnance, vibrated so bad that the image was fuzzy, and every time I installed them they had to be re-aimed. Some jurisdictions require you to remove them when you are not towing because they are a pedestrian hazard.

I was delighted to get rid of them after I bought my Casita 17. Visibility is excellent.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #30

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Monica,

I've been using strap on extension mirrors for the 7 years I've had my 13 Scamp. While the Law requires vision at 200 feet, I like to see what's behind my trailer within that 200 feet. I've found they also come in very handy for a single person backing up. Simply gives you more field of vision.

The strap on mirrors do viberate quite a bit but you get used to that and it depends upon how fast you are traveling as well as wind conditions. When driving my attention it not totally to the rear, just an occasional glance. I find having the extension mirror really beneficial on the right side when making a lane change. With the Jeep and extension mirrors I have no blind spots. Even with the viberation you know what's behind or beside you.

As for having to adjust them frequently, I don't but maybe once and awhile. I've found that doing the initial adjustment for your field vision and tightening down the set screws is fine. The big item is that when they are off the vehicle you use care to store them. I store them in their own box with a lid. That way nothing can come in contact with them to cause them to be out of adjustment.

I don't use them with my utility trailer as I don't need them for vision and it sure feels funny. It's sort of like a seat belt, I now feel lost with out them.

I tried taking the gravel cover off the front window so I could see through my Scamp but I can't. I really don't know how others do. You might be able to if you want to try that once you get your trailer and get set up.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #31

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I tried taking the gravel cover off the front window so I could see through my Scamp but I can't. I really don't know how others do.
It might be that my 4x4 Ranger is taller than your Jeep. There is a straight line of sight from the rear view mirror. I can't see quite as much since replacing the axle. The sight lines are that close.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote