Extension Mirrors - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2009, 03:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
I was talking to a friend and he said that one of his friends got a ticket in CA for not having extending mirrors on his TV while towing a trailer. I would rather be safe than sorry. I am looking for inexpensive, clip on types if they make them? Does anyone have any suggestions?
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Tripple E Surfside
Quote:
I was talking to a friend and he said that one of his friends got a ticket in CA for not having extending mirrors on his TV while towing a trailer. I would rather be safe than sorry. I am looking for inexpensive, clip on types if they make them? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Here are some that a good friend of mine uses,
and I also bought a pair for myself after seeing them.
They work great.!!

http://www.tow-n-see.com/
Old 01-27-2009, 06:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Try the cheap ones first. Kragens has some that attach to your existing mirrors with rubber straps. They also have self-adhesive convex mirrors for the passenger side. Oops, I don't know what kind of tow vehicle you have.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
What type of trailer was he towing when he got the ticket? We also live in Southern California.

Our tow vehicle is a Honda Odyssey Van. We have towed without extension mirrors since 2001 - and we have the 17' Casita. WE don't have any problem with visibility when towing.

If he was towing a small trailer like the Casita, maybe we should be using extension mirrors - if not, he might have had a much wider, longer trailer and legally needed them.
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Up until we bought our Casita we have always used extention mirrors. We had a new set still in the package but the Casita was so narrow that we never used them and eventually sold them at a garage sale. I would sure like to know how the law reads because we like not having clamp on extentions that can actually make it harder to see.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:09 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I would sure like to know how the law reads because we like not having clamp on extentions that can actually make it harder to see.
link to CA DMV Recreational Vehicles and Trailers Handbook
"A left- and right-hand outside mirror are required on the towing vehicle if the RV or trailer obstructs the driver's rear vision. Make sure the mirrors are large enough and that they are positioned for vision at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle."
Old 01-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Frederick! LdB
Old 01-27-2009, 10:35 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
CA DMV Recreational Vehicles and Trailers Handbook
"A left- and right-hand outside mirror are required on the towing vehicle if the RV or trailer obstructs the driver's rear vision."
That certainly obfuscates the subject. It doesn't even say you have to see anything with them, they just have to be there.

I would certainly use mirror extensions if I felt I couldn't see traffic that was overtaking me or in the lane next to me if I was changing lanes.

CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:35 PM   #9

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Thanks for the information Frederick.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:46 PM   #10

Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
That certainly obfuscates the subject.
It also doesn't say that they have to be EXTENSION mirrors.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:51 PM   #11

Registry
Talking

Quote:
I am looking for inexpensive, clip on types if they make them? Does anyone have any suggestions?
Link to clip-on tow mirror at Camping World
Old 01-27-2009, 10:53 PM   #12

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
the little stick on ones have worked fine for me. I have never had anyone drive by me waving just one finger after I have changed lanes on either side.

I can see 200 feet back with them.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:39 PM   #13

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft

I picked up these same ones, or very similar at Walmart for the same or less.
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:00 AM   #14

Okay, I just realized I have 12 responses so far, I have not read them yet, but I appreciate them all. Going back to read them now, but I knew you all would come through, just not in masses, thank you thus far!!
Old 01-28-2009, 02:10 AM   #15

Okay, I plan on being a full timer, traveling through all the states. I don't know what kind of trailer my friend's friend was towing, but I would rather have them than not, no matter the TV or trailer (I plan on a Toyota 4runner + Casita), but none the less, the less trouble the better. Thank you for the links, I am checking them out. In this area, the most likely trailer was a small toy hauler, but I don't know, a lot of the younger guys tow small travel trailers. Like I said, better safe than sorry if you know what I mean? Thanks to all and any help, still, would be appreciated.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #16

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I have those mirrors and like them!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The laws generally don't say extension mirrors, they usually just present a specification like 200 feet and one meets that with the existing mirrors or extension mirrors -- Glue-on convex mirrors aren't going to be of much help to see something 200 feet away...

Look up the law for YOUR state (most I've seen have the 200' spec), pace off the distance behind your rig in a parking lot and put up an orange cone -- If you can see it, you are OK -- If not, something has to change until you can see it.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:19 PM   #18

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
And law aside, as Pete alludes to, you should have them for safety, if they're necessary. I don't know what your trailer-towing experience is, but you can have a looooong blind area behind the trailer if your mirrors don't project out far enough from your vehicle. Basically, the further out they are, the better your view. So within reason, I wouldn't skimp.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:02 AM   #19

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Whether or not you need auxiliary mirrors is a function of vehicle width, both the tow vehicle and the trailer. The Excursion I used to have, and my Titan both have mirrors on stalks that extend out an additional 6" or so, specially set up for trailer towing. When towing my Scamp 16 with the Excursion, I didn't need to even extend them to meet the 200' rule. With my Bigfoot 25RQ I need them extended. When towing the Scamp 16 with the same Tundra, I didn't need them. When towing the Bigfoot 17 with the Tundra, I needed auxiliary mirrors to see behind.

My suggestion is that you follow Pete's advice... pace off 200' and put a cone or box or something similar immediately in a line behind your trailer, and then find out if you can see it with your mirrors. If you can, you're good. If you can't, you need to do something differently.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:50 PM   #20

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Just wondering ...

I can see through front and back windows with my windsheild mirror when the curtains are pulled back. How does that fit in with the 200' rule?

And does the 200' apply to one of the side mirrors or both?

Keeping in mind that many of the bolers it's descendants the bodies are shifted curbside.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote