Extra mirrors needed? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2010, 08:42 AM   #1

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Extra mirrors needed?

In days of yore we towed the larger campers with a full size Chevy G20 Van and the outside mirrors were extended so we could see out past the sides of the camper.

When towing an "Egg" type camper, seems this task is done with smaller vehicles.

Looking at the various specifications it seems that most Eggs are near 7 feet wide. Mini Vans and compact Suvs are more in the neighborhood of less than 6 feet wide across from door to door where the side view mirrors attach. Then the mirrors extend another 10 inches or so.

Is there any problem seeing down the sides of the Egg for changing lanes and such? Or are some type of mirror extensions needed?

Thanks,
Kip
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
You'll want to check your particular set-up, but I would say that most tow vehicles will need wider mirrors. I think there is a rule about what you need to be able to see (which coincides with what you would *want* to be able to see anyway!), but I can't remember it off the top of my head. I should check into that so I have my facts.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I originally bought a set of those mirrors that had brackets which hung on the side of the doors and stuck out quite a ways in preparation of picking up my trailer "way-back-when". I used them one time, for a few miles, and took them off. My small pick-up's mirrors don't extend, but I still found that my visibility was only slightly diminished by just using the trucks own mirrors. The technique I use is to view the road behind in the turns, and you can keep an eye on traffic behind you with an occasional glance. If the road is straight for a long ways, then I just crowd the curbside of the lane and gently turn towards the driver's side of the lane, glancing back to check during that interval. Works good for me, and I've been doing that since I bought the trailer. As to backing up, even while travelling solo, I will usually get out and check the area behind me, (which should be done irregardless,) and get a few reference points to use as guides while backing. Granted, it's not the ultimate rear view capability, but it beats having those silly "elephant ear" strap-on mirrors hanging out there. Everybody has there own thought of what works for them, but this technique works for my needs.

Some others out there use those new-fangled rear view video cameras mounted on the back of the trailer and viewed on a small dash mounted monitor, but everyone I've talked to that had them said they don't work very well and were prone to all kinds of typical electronic "gremlins". I guess whatever works for you is what's important. Just a couple of ideas.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:04 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip in Ga. View Post
In days of yore we towed the larger campers with a full size Chevy G20 Van and the outside mirrors were extended so we could see out past the sides of the camper.

When towing an "Egg" type camper, seems this task is done with smaller vehicles.

Looking at the various specifications it seems that most Eggs are near 7 feet wide. Mini Vans and compact Suvs are more in the neighborhood of less than 6 feet wide across from door to door where the side view mirrors attach. Then the mirrors extend another 10 inches or so.

Is there any problem seeing down the sides of the Egg for changing lanes and such? Or are some type of mirror extensions needed?

Thanks,
Kip
The rules of the road in most places require that you be able to see a vehicle directly behind your trailer at 125 feet[about 7 car lengths]
If you can see that well with your rig, then extended mirrors are not required.
Also if you tow a small fiberglass trailer with large windows front and rear, you can often remove the curtains front and rear and see right through it to the traffic behind.
If you choose a rearview camera, be sure that it is full time capable... some "back-up" cameras can not be left on.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:25 AM   #5

Thanks, Floyd. I knew there was a number!
Old 10-21-2010, 09:38 AM   #6

Registry
If mirror extensions are needed, CIPA makes the finest quality custom fit slip-on mirrors on the market. They look stock and don't vibrate.

http://www.cipamirrors.com/
Old 10-21-2010, 04:07 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I have never used them. My SUV mirrors seem to work fine.
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
I used extension mirrors for the first time on my Dodge Dakota this weekend. Prior to that, I could see vehicles passing me once they were in the next lane, and I could see cars behind me as long as I did the "S" wiggle maneuver with my Dakota. but adding the extension now allows me to see cars much sooner and also the ones directly behind me. No more surprises when someone does the slingshot pass maneuver. These pictures aren't the best but they should give you an idea of the difference.

John
Attached Thumbnails
100_4178 (Small).JPG   100_4179 (Small).JPG  

Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:08 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggerty View Post
...adding the extension now allows me to see cars much sooner and also the ones directly behind me. No more surprises when someone does the slingshot pass maneuver.
Those are the same extension mirrors that I use, and they work for me. Yes, there is a little vibration, but I basically use the main mirrors 90% of the time and double check occasionally with the extensions, especially if I suspect I have a tail-gator closer to the trailer than the main mirrors can show. I pick 'em up in the extensions every time.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:08 PM   #10

John,

That is a great illustration of an original mirror that I don't believe would have been legal (or even close!), and then how much of a difference a wider mirror makes.

Excellent!

Raya

PS: What brand/model are they and where did you find them?
Old 10-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #11

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
John,

That is a great illustration of an original mirror that I don't believe would have been legal (or even close!), and then how much of a difference a wider mirror makes.

Excellent!

Raya

PS: What brand/model are they and where did you find them?
Those are the CIPA mirrors, same as Floyd mentioned. I happened to pick mine up at Walmart one day.
They clip on tightly and really make a difference in being able to see someone coming up behind me and getting ready to pass.

John
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:44 AM   #12

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggerty View Post
Those are the CIPA mirrors, same as Floyd mentioned. I happened to pick mine up at Walmart one day.
They clip on tightly and really make a difference in being able to see someone coming up behind me and getting ready to pass.

John
John,

Wish my pictures would turn out that well when I have time to set up the shot. Yes a big difference in the rear view.

Would you happen to have the part number for the mirrors?

They look like the 11950 mirror on CIPA's web site. They don't give a size range for what they will fit. They are on sale. Buy one for $7.99 and get one free. Or so they say.

Did you get them at the PTC Walmart?

Thanks,
Kip
Old 10-22-2010, 02:52 AM   #13

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karalyn View Post
I have never used them. My SUV mirrors seem to work fine.
Hi Karalyn,

What is your tow vehicle?

Thanks,
Kip
Old 10-22-2010, 07:12 AM   #14

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
I am really close to buying those CIPA mirrors... just two problems: 1) nobody close to me sells them. I was planning a trip to Camping World, anyway... so no big deal. 2) My car has turn signals on the mirrors, and I hate to block them.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:25 AM   #15

Registry
The only problem with the CIPA mirrors is that they don't make them for very many vehicles. If it ain't an American made rig ( Ford, Chevy, or GMC, Jeep, Chrysler) forget it. Oh yeah, and a few now for certain Hondas, but they don't make them for Nissans, that's for sure.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
I am really close to buying those CIPA mirrors... just two problems: 1) nobody close to me sells them. I was planning a trip to Camping World, anyway... so no big deal. 2) My car has turn signals on the mirrors, and I hate to block them.
The CIPA slip on type mirrors don't block the stock mirrors.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:11 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Finke View Post
The only problem with the CIPA mirrors is that they don't make them for very many vehicles. If it ain't an American made rig ( Ford, Chevy, or GMC, Jeep, Chrysler) forget it. Oh yeah, and a few now for certain Hondas, but they don't make them for Nissans, that's for sure.
Greg:

We have CIPA mirrors which fit our Subaru Forester just fine. They are the "universal" ones which we bought from Amazon:

Amazon.com: CIPA 11960 Universal Towing Mirror: Automotive

You just have to remember which is left and which is right when you put them back on, and make sure they are adjusted for good vision each time.

Brian
Old 10-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #18

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The CIPA slip on type mirrors don't block the stock mirrors.
No, but they might block someone beside me from seeing my turn signals, since they are on the edge of the mirror housing.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:20 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
No, but they might block someone beside me from seeing my turn signals, since they are on the edge of the mirror housing.
mcbrew:

We don't have turn signal lights on our side view mirrors, but we do have on the trailer and on the rear of the car, and at night there are also side marker lights on the trailer. There is a gap between the outside edge of our side view mirrors and the inside edge of our CIPA mirrors, so the turn signal lights on your side view mirrors should still be visible if another vehicle is coming up behind you.

Brian
Old 10-22-2010, 04:50 PM   #20

Registry
I too tried those universal "one size-fits all" CIPA mirrors. On my Nissan truck's mirrors, they unfortunately tended to slide off a lot easier than they went on. I took them back because they wouldn't stay put on my rig.