EZ hitch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: In the market
Nevada
EZ hitch

Ok. Our VW Tiguan comes with a class 1 hitch. It has weight limit of 220. Now, before I get a 13' Scamp or Casita, educate me about the EZ hitch. I want to know the good, bad and the ugly. Thanks.
Chillywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I would say that a Class-I hitch is marginal at best for any 13' egg. Here's a link to applications by hitch capacity.
Trailer Hitch Classes Defined and Explained

You may be OK by the numbers, but I prefer a lot more safety margin.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Bill, are you interested specifically in the EZ Hitch device, with the other hitch information provided just for background, or are you interested in advice about the rest of the hitch equipment?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I'm going to assume that when you say EZ Hitch you're talking about a Weight Distribution Hitch. Weight Distribution hitches are not recommended for 13' or smaller trailers. Most likely you'd overload the trailer axle.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #5

Interesting... I assumed EZ Hitch, an alignment device. Perhaps Byron is thinking of the unrelated Eaz-Lift WD hitch system. There's also the EZ Adjust Hitch ball mount from Anderson. It looks like we really need to know more from Bill before we can usefully respond.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #6

Nevada
I read somewhere about an EZ hitch. Thought it was something that made hooking up easier. I probably misunderstood the whole thing. I know for sure, the VW Tig says you can't use a Weight Distribution Hitch. That being said, can I just upgrade to a class 11 hitch or what do you guys recommend? I don't want to throw money out the window but I want to be safe. The Tig is rated to tow 2200 lbs. and 220 Tongue weight. Is the class 11 just a beefier hitch, capable of holding more weight?
Old 07-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Here's a link to applications by hitch capacity.
Trailer Hitch Classes Defined and Explained
Although that page is generally helpful and clear, it contains a number of errors... perhaps not relevant, depending on what Bill is really asking about.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #8

Nevada
The EZ hitch I saw is really referring is really an alignment device (guide) that helps you when you don't have a spotter with you. So, I should be able to replace the current Class 1 with a class 11 and add the EZ device.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Oh, this thing.
Click image for larger version

Name:	EZhitch.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	61532

Some folks have them, use them, and like them.

I don't have one and don't want one. The jack on my Scamp has a foot on it and it's not designed to be dragged across the asphalt, etc. it may bend the jack and that would be a PITA. IF the jack had a wheel on it and I could get the wheel parallel to the rear bumper... maybe...

But, I look at getting in and out of my truck to hookup good exercise! YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #10

Okay, now we know we're talking about the EZ Hitch alignment device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillywilly View Post
So, I should be able to replace the current Class 1 with a class 11 and add the EZ device.
The online FAQ and installation instructions don't suggest any dependence on a specific size or design of ball mount. Any change of the hitch would be unrelated to the use of an EZ Hitch device. Bill, are you now also asking about the hitch?

It's class 1 (or class I) and class 2 (or class II).. roman numerals, not one and eleven.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Is the class 11 just a beefier hitch, capable of holding more weight?
Yes, Class 1 and Class 2 are just descriptions of the strength of the hitch. Class 1 hitches are rated up to 2000 pound trailer weight; Class 2 hitches are rated up to 3500 pound trailer weight.

In current common practice, most (not all) hitches consist of a frame on the tow vehicle with a square "receiver" socket, and a removable ball mount that slides into it. Currently, both Class 1 and Class 2 normally use the same size of receiver opening (1.25") so the difference is just strength.

What is strange to me is that all aftermarket hitches shown by eTrailer are at least Class 2, and some have 2" openings (and are listed as Class 3, but the Tiguan would be the limitation at 2200 pounds); they appear to attach to structure provided by Volkswagen, so their installation is very tidy. Why would anyone put a Class 1 hitch on a Tiguan? Maybe there's some difference between years - what year is your Tiguan, Bill?

Bill, do you have a specific make and model for your hitch, or a photo, or any other information?

There's lots of information about Tiguan towing equipment (courtesy of Jason a.ka.a SilverGhost) in Anyone towing with a Tiguan?
Old 07-07-2013, 12:43 AM   #12

Nevada
Sorry, had a dinner engagement so I wasn't able to finish the discussion. In the morning I'll get out the Tiguan owner's manual again. I'm sure it indicated a class 1 hitch on it though. I'll look on the side of the hitch also a let you know if there is any more info.

I liked the comment about roman numerals....until then I didn't realize I was writing it that way.

So much to learn!
Old 07-07-2013, 07:38 AM   #13

As mentioned many times, the stamp or label on the hitch may have no bearing on the capacity of the TV, only on the hitch itself.

Always go by the information in the manual first and then be sure the hitch also meets the requirements of what you want to tow.

I don't like a device that requires that you "Crash" into the trailer to hook it up. Try getting a couple of the magnetic antennas with a ball on the end from Harbor Freight to use as training wheels while you learn what the trailer is supposed to look like in your inside rear view mirror when hooking up. Here's a link:

Magnetic Trailer Alignment Kit

BTW: If you use a "Helper" (i.e. wife, s.o. etc) when parking or hitching, give them a whistle to blow that means STOP. 99% of any other directions will be confusing.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #14

Nevada
Thanks for the tip on the magnetic kit. I like idea much better! Now, how do I know if this hitch is a class 1 or class 2? It is factory installed, it's Westfalia type 321 760, part number 5N0 092 730. The part list says it is a 2" part. Maybe it's already a class 2?
Old 07-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #15

That part number appears to be the drawbar itself. Here is a link to that part and it's matching receiver. Both look to be 1 1/4", you need to contact VW for an exact specification.

Volkswagen Parts | Genuine OEM Parts - VW Performance Accessories

Old 07-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #16

Quote:
As mentioned many times, the stamp or label on the hitch may have no bearing on the capacity of the TV, only on the hitch itself.

Always go by the information in the manual first and then be sure the hitch also meets the requirements of what you want to tow.
Absolutely!

Like any chain, the strength limit is the weakest link. In hitches, that "strength" has at three dimensions: total trailer weight, tongue weight, and ability to use WD. In this case, we know the Tiguan's limits, and the hitch's limits have yet to be determined.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Now, how do I know if this hitch is a class 1 or class 2? It is factory installed, it's Westfalia type 321 760, part number 5N0 092 730.
Okay, that's a start, but Bob has done a great job of tracking down that part:
Quote:
That part number appears to be the drawbar itself. Here is a link to that part and it's matching receiver. Both look to be 1 1/4", you need to contact VW for an exact specification.

Volkswagen Parts | Genuine OEM Parts - VW Performance Accessories
"Drawbar" and "ball mount" mean the same thing. Now, Bill, can you find similar numbers on the part fixed to the Tiguan? It may not be readily readable, hidden behind the bumper cover.

Westfalia is a significant supplier of towing equipment in Europe, but not here. They supply at least some hitches to Volkswagen (such as the one I've seen on Touaregs on the dealership lot). Anyone who buys a ball mount (readily available from many suppliers in any store selling towing equipment) from the VW dealer probably also bought the hitch receiver from the dealer as well... but that's only a guess.

Original equipment (OEM) receivers are usually designed to handle at least the rated capacity of the tow vehicle itself. I would be surprised if the VW OEM receiver capacity were as low as the Class 1 limit of 2000 pounds. The receiver in Bob's list has a 1.25" (1 1/4") opening. By the way, this is by far the least expensive OEM hitch I've heard of, presumably because there is so little to it, since VW has provided most of the structure with the Tiguan and the hitch only has to add the receiver box on a small bracket.

There is no specific tongue weight limit for any hitch class according to the standards (VESC V-5 and SAE J684). It is just common practice for the tongue weight limit to be set at 10% of the trailer weight.

Quote:
The part list says it is a 2" part. Maybe it's already a class 2?
The item as listed in Bob's link says that it includes a ball, which is likely 2" diameter. A 2" ball can be used with any class of hitch.

The characteristic dimension of a hitch is the size of the square opening that the ball mount slides into. The common sizes are 1.25" (typical for Class 1 and Class 2), 2" (sometimes used in Class 2, but typical for Class 3 and Class 4), and 2.5" (a relatively recent trend for some Class 4 and some rated beyond Class 4). You can just measure the width or height of the opening (not the outside of the tube, the inside of the opening) with a ruler or tape measure. This won't tell you whether it is Class 1 or Class 2, but will help describe what can be used with it.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #18

Nevada
Sorry, I meant to say it has a 2" ball listed on the part list in the box. But I agree with you Brian, a Class 1 hitch is 2000# and the Tig is rated at 2200 (on the sheet I have). I don't think VW would provide something on the unit that isn't capable of towing 2200#. I'll find out more tomorrow. Thanks, Bill
Old 07-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #19

Nevada
Thanks everyone for all the info. Found out from VW today, that it is a class 2 hitch. Being a newbie, I didn't want to assume anything. Thanks for the tip on the Magnetic kit. I'm getting one.
Don't think for a moment you guys are done with me yet! I've got almost a million questions left. We'll be talking soon!
Old 07-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Don't think for a moment you guys are done with me yet! I've got almost a million questions left. We'll be talking soon!
We'll be here!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote