Failure of Axle Brackets on Scamp 5W Trailers - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-04-2007, 01:23 PM   #29

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Hi Chuck---Welcome to this forum. Hope your axel bracket delema is addressed.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:11 PM   #30

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Hello all,

Am feeling like a bit of a dummy - didn't find the second page of the forum, and so didn't know that what I posted was probably redundent. Oh, well....

Chuck

Old 11-04-2007, 03:17 PM   #31

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Quote:
Hello all,

Am feeling like a bit of a dummy - didn't find the second page of the forum, and so didn't know that what I posted was probably redundent. Oh, well....

Chuck
Don't worry about it.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:33 PM   #32

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Chuck, thanks for your contribution.

Even though the basic problem has already been described, I think Chuck's summary is good, and his proposed brace between the Al-Ko bracket and the frame is a more effective work-around than those previously proposed, because it more directly transfers the load from the side of the bracket which is supposed to be supported, to the frame. The brace around the axle tube itself should then be unnecessary.

By the way, I've done the "miss the second page" thing myself... more than once!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:00 PM   #33

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Chuck, rather than send you a private message, I'll post this in case there are lurkers out there who might find the info useful. I strongly recommend that you join the Yahoo Scampers Group so you have access to the latest info on this because a number of them are working with Kent on this problem.

Unfortunately, one must have a Yahoo account to access the group, even to read it. Fortunately, Yahoo is free.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scampers/

Besides the 5W problem, there's a lot of both Scamp-specific and general information and discussion on the group, plus there are Files and Links info available. The group got so big, in terms of photos and modifications (and bracket failure and fixes photos) that there are two expansion groups which also must be joined in order to see the photos stored there. I recommend it to any Scamp owner and even to non-owners, who are welcome.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:18 PM   #34

Name: Blair
Trailer: Evelands Inc. Scamp 5vr
I think this design looks great, but the only thing I would warn is you should not get the axle too hot when connecting the possible brace from the bottom of the ear to the base of the shoulder because you may damage the rubber torsion part of the axle. You may melt some rubber inside!

Blair
Old 11-06-2007, 01:31 PM   #35

Hi all,

I have had a communication from Kent Evelund, and he suggests a piece of tubing at least two inches longer than the axel bracket, welded between the bracket and the frame. In my case, it'll be against the spacer. He suggests that the possible brace from the bottom of the bracket to the ear might pull or twist the bracket, or at least stress it, and cause changes in the alignment.

I suggest that those with the problem get an estimate for repair using those guidelines, add the serial number of the trailer (his requirement for tracking purposes), and contact him.

Have to add that his response was timely, and is very much appreciated by me. I'll now be able to head south at the end of December, and get out of the Alberta cold for most of the winter.

Thanks to all who have posted ideas and problems on this site, and on the Yahoo site.

Enjoy!!

Chuck
Old 11-06-2007, 03:51 PM   #36

Alberta
Quote:
I have had a communication from Kent Evelund, and he suggests a piece of tubing at least two inches longer than the axel bracket, welded between the bracket and the frame. In my case, it'll be against the spacer.
This has been suggested before, and I have difficulty understanding why this would be a better solution. In this case, the (square) tubing would not carry load in the intended way (bending, or in torsion) but instead the tubing would need to resist folding up. Imagine a cereal box with the ends opened - it has a fair amount of bending strength, but it can be easily collapsed because nothing resists that other than the resistance of the cardboard at each corner to bending; similarly, the tubing would need to resist folding at the corners. The flat angled brace which Chuck showed would carry a simple compressive load, and folding the ends of it over would reduce its tendency to buckle.

Spreading the load over more length of the frame is not required, as the frame is not what is failing here.

Quote:
He suggests that the possible brace from the bottom of the bracket to the ear might pull or twist the bracket, or at least stress it, and cause changes in the alignment.
I agree that this second brace doesn't seem suitable, both because it is unnecessary if the load is properly carried from the bracket to the frame, and because the welding right on tube containing the rubber seems bad for the rubber... and I suppose there might be some distortion issue as well.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:59 PM   #37

Brian, I understand your concern, and think your physics is correct, but I also am pretty sure that if the tubing used is thick walled, then it'll do the job, just because there will be sufficient mass there to resist the collapse you describe. I intend to talk to my welder/designer when I get him to quote, and will get his input. If necessary, I'll get in touch with Kent again, before the job is done.

Thanks for you input,

Chuck
Old 11-07-2007, 01:29 PM   #38

Alberta
Quote:
Brian, I understand your concern, and think your physics is correct, but I also am pretty sure that if the tubing used is thick walled, then it'll do the job, just because there will be sufficient mass there to resist the collapse you describe...
I'm sure it will work... it's just a waste of material and it makes me wonder if the people recommending it really understand the problem. If I were to have this done on a trailer with the spacer, I would consider choosing rectangular box tubing the width of the bracket overhang and high enough to reach up to partway up the actual frame tube, rather than just the spacer... might as well get some benefit from the thing.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:34 PM   #39

Hello all,

I have just had my designer/welder over to look at the axel. He suggests just what Kent Eveland did - weld in a 12" length of 1X1 heavy wall tubing and go home. He says he'll weld in the ends as well. It seems like the simplest and least expensive solution. The KISS principal.

The cost is likely to be less than $200, so will simply have it done, and send the bill to Scamp. I was lucky that there was no distortion around the crack - due to this forum - so no additional work will have to be done before the reinforcement.

Chuck
Old 11-20-2007, 10:15 AM   #40

Name: Blair
Trailer: Evelands Inc. Scamp 5vr
I picked up my trailer yesterday with a new axle that Scamp supplied
and paid for the installation. Once again I want to praise Kent at
Scamp for taking care of my axle problems.

Blair
Old 11-20-2007, 04:45 PM   #41

Afternoon all,

I have just had the axle of my 07 19' repaired as per Kent's suggestion, and that of the welder who did the repair. Terry welded in a 12 inch length of heavy wall square tubing agasinst the spacer on the frame, and the horizontal part of the axel mount. Sure looks solid, and I don't thnk I'll worry about it any more. Will, of course, check all regularly. The cost was reasonable, and Kent has said he'll pick up the bill. Many thanks to those who started this line. Because of you, I was able to have the repair done before any serious problems developed. There was a crack, but no displacement of it, and the repair was relatively simple.

Chuck
Old 07-17-2008, 04:08 PM   #42

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Darwin Maring, 17 July 2008
My 2002 Scamp 5r Post Axle Replacement Report

I notified both Scamp and AL-KO (along with pictures) in 2005 of the axle situation and was blown off by both of them. All my communications, from 2005 to 2008, with Scamp and AL-KO were certified with return receipt. I firmly believe that having everything in writing and PROOF that I sent it a must when dealing with companies in situations like this.

When the axle problem blossomed on the Fiberglassrv web site and with me receiving emails and phone conversations from Blair McClure, Kamper bob and a phone call from an individual that had the problem on a 2007 within a very short period of picking it up, I sent my package back to Scamp along with some of the posts and requested that they:

Send me a new (BOLT ON) axle
Pay for my Temporary repair so I could move the unit with some sort of safe feeling.
Pay to have the temp repair removed and new Bolt On axle installed.

Kent of Scamp accepted my proposal and when I sent him the estimate of the cost he balked at the estimated 12 hours of labor -Do Not Post Email Addresses- $60 per hour to complete the work. He said that he use to weld and thought it should not take more than 4 hours however he would pay for 6 hours and because he had me over a barrel, I agreed to pay for anything over 6 hours.

My welder is a Certified welder and when he looked at the pictures of the failed axle he stated that he thought because the axle bracket was not supported fully on the frame of the camper and because there is a bolt hole and weld so close to the hole that he thought the heat from the weld may have crystallized the bracket thus allowing it to RIP the bracket.

Anyway:

Scamp sent me the new AL-KO axle with BOLT on bracket.
The welder removed the temp fix and installed the Bolt On Axle and if I ever need to replace the axle again I can do it myself just by jacking the unit up, unbolting the old axle and bolting on a new one.
I sent Scamp a bill for the temp fix and the new install and they sent me a check.
Scamp ask for my 5r Vin and serial number because they said they lost all their records in the fire.

I think Scamp should :

Because they apparently do not have any records of where the pre-fire campers are, I think they should take out adds in Camping magazines (Good Sam for one) to notify Scamp owners on how to go about inspecting their units and what to do should they find the problem.
I also think they should notify the Federal Highway and traffic safety people of a possible problem so notifications can be posted and the public be notified. Just think what the outcome could be should some one be hurt or killed by a failure that they knew about since 2005 and may be adjudicated to be liable for. A prior notice could save some grief and their corporation if it was adjudicated their fault.

Thanks to Blair, Kamper Bob and all the others who have helped in this process.

Forgot to thank Pete Dumbleton for starting this thread. Many thanks Pete.

Tags
axle, scamp