Family tow vehicle advice - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2016, 11:11 AM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: Shopping
Washington
Family tow vehicle advice

My wife and I just had a son this past summer and are looking to buy her a new bigger vehicle in the next 6 months with plans to buy a fiberglass trailer in the next 1-2 years.
We are both tall and like to have reasonable space in both the car and the trailer. Our top trailer pick right now is an escape 19, as it has a real queen bed and space to hang out when it rains. I am also considering a 17' casita if we can live with the smaller bed to get a smaller price tag. Based on these options, I figure we should budget for up to ~4000lbs of trailer weight, I plan on towing over mountain passes (US2 Stevens Pass and similar) on a regular basis so I don't want to undergun the tow vehicle and would like a 5000lb rating.
That said, this will be her around town car with the baby and we don't want something giant around the city and would prefer it get decent gas mileage without the trailer. I would ideally like to keep this purchase around $20k and don't want to buy with more that ~75k miles. So far the 2008-2013 highlander and 2016+ Kia sorento look like the best options but both stretch the budget a bit. I am skeptical of maintenance issues on chrysler/dodge/jeep or german vehicles and want to prioritize reliability on this vehicle. My research indicates a Honda Pilot only has a 3500-4500lb tow rating, the MDX has 5000lbs but is pricier and uses premium gas. The Ford/GM products are all on the big end but might be considered as well. Anyone want to chip in on these options or why they chose a vehicle with similar requirements?
sailor231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:26 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I would at least look at the Honda Ridgeline or Pilot. Both are comfortable daily drivers but you may suffer a little on the mileage. My Ridgeline gets aboutv18.5 daily and 14 towing. The Ridgeline tow capacity is 5000, Pilot I believe isn4500. I towed a 17' Casita over 20,000 miles with it.

Both are comfortable for both the driver and back seat passengers. I find it to be a pain to install car seats but that may be because I do it maybe once a year for grandkids or great grandkids.

1970 Trails West Campster
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:36 AM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Getting to 5000 lbs is going to push you into the lower gas mileage category, I think. I've been looking at the same thing (well, not the spouse and baby, substitute three corgis, but tow vehicles with 3500 plus that don't break the bank or burn too much gas. Pilot, Highlander, Ridgeline (maybe) and Kia Sorrento are on my list to try out. The new Ridgeline gets better mileage but will be well over $20K since it isn't out in used yet. Dave, what do you get around Whidbey in your Ridgeline, not towing? (we kind of have ideal driving conditions- few stoplights, 50-55 mph max speed.)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Getting to 5000 lbs is going to push you into the lower gas mileage category, I think. I've been looking at the same thing (well, not the spouse and baby, substitute three corgis, but tow vehicles with 3500 plus that don't break the bank or burn too much gas. Pilot, Highlander, Ridgeline (maybe) and Kia Sorrento are on my list to try out. The new Ridgeline gets better mileage but will be well over $20K since it isn't out in used yet. Dave, what do you get around Whidbey in your Ridgeline, not towing? (we kind of have ideal driving conditions- few stoplights, 50-55 mph max speed.)
The 18.5 was the around Whidbey when I checked a few week ago. I have gotten up to 22 in the past on the freeway with the cruise set on 60 (24 going across Nebraska on the way to pick up our Casita).

1970 Trails West Campster
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 03:50 PM   #5

Registry
Of course, "around Whidbey" varies- up and down the highway I get about 29, overall mixed use about 25, freeway at 70, about 27. (Forester.)
Old 10-08-2016, 03:53 PM   #6

Registry
Kia Sorrento is really highly rated by KBB and Consumer Reports.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:07 PM   #7

Washington
We looked at a 2004 Sequoia that popped up on craigslist for a great price today. My wife decided she wants something a bit smaller and more carlike for day to day. I plan on visiting the Kia dealer and some used car shops in the next couple weeks.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:57 PM   #8

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
When you consider the 17' Casita with front bath or a 19' Escape, keep in mind the hitch weight issue. A 5000 lb. tow rating usually comes with a 500 lb hitch weight limit. You might have ongoing worries and need to weigh the tongue when you load up for each trip to make sure you're not going over. It might be better to have more cushion on that rating.... but that will involve something less carlike, unfortunately. Maybe keep an eye out for a used Lexus GX460 or 470? I picked up an '08 GX470 for $22K about a year ago, and it's working out well. Not as nice a ride as my previous Highlander, but still comfy.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:31 AM   #9

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
tow vehicle

before you buy, look at the 2008 Jeep Wagoneer with the MB 3 liter diesel, The ones I have seen are pretty good and came with a proper hitch.

My own personal vehicle is a 1 ton 2005 Ford E350 but that is probably to big for your wife and and not as good on mileage. It is great for short weekend camping trips, can handle a windsurfer on the roof (skiis inside) and has a double hitch for trailer and bike rack. And with that vehicle I have no trouble towing (the trailer tucks in nicely behind the van even in strong winds).

I suggest renting a similar size car and trailer for a weekend trip to make sure that it is right for you!
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:03 AM   #10

Washington
[QUOTE=jokra;612457]before you buy, look at the 2008 Jeep Wagoneer with the MB 3 liter diesel, The ones I have seen are pretty good and came with a proper hitch.

The 3L diesel only came in the grand cherokee to my knowledge. I am open to considering a 2007-2009 model, but they look pretty plasticy inside and have questionable quality. I have driven a newer grand cherokee and did not like the tank like slits for windows it has. I am considering a ML320 diesel as they can be had with 50-60k miles for under $20k and I prefer the german driving experience but I worry about running costs.

I don't know of anyplace that would rent an egg of any size to try out, but we are hoping to make a visit to ETI at somepoint, it is an easy day trip from here. As well as check our a neighbor's Casita (I am not sure what size he has).
Old 10-09-2016, 10:22 AM   #11

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
Traier tow vehicle

You are correct, I meant the Jeep Grand Wagoneer with 3 liter MB diesel. I think that your toughest job would be finding one with low miles. I have seen and found several with very high mileage and they looked fine (no plastic broken).

Not sure if I would trust a MB suv for maintenance, especially a tow vehicle.

I live in the east and don't have to deal with mountains, but I had to get rid of a low mileage Chevy van with a 305 V8 which was gutless when towing a trailer .
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:36 AM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The most popular vehicle in the US for many years has been the F-150.
I see the parking lots full of them everywhere I go.
The Frontier 4dr might work too.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:45 AM   #13

Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe
tow vehicle

I have had a jeep grand cherokee as a tow vehicle since 2000. Our 2000 jeep has 180k miles with over 20k miles pulling our 17' Casita. The maintenance has been minimal except for replacing the computer. The key is regular maintenance (oil changes every 3500 miles) etc. Mileage has been 20mpg highway and 18mpg pulling the trailer. Love the heated seats here in Colorado.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:40 PM   #14

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
We just bought a 2016 Town and Country minivan with 7800 miles.
Just returned by Hertz on the Guaranteed Depreciation Plan where the rental agancy has a guaranteed cost to boost available cars in resort areas in season.
This van was in Orlando during the last winter and was sold back to Chrysler to be auctioned to their dealers for low mileage used cars.
The one we have has the Nav and all of the towing package (heavy duty radiator, transmission cooler , alternator, and self leveling shocks.)
I will have to add the hitch and trailer wiring kit.
I found a hits new old stock for $125 and the wiring kit for $97.
Total (from Amazon $225.
The Town and Country is rated for towing a maximum of 3500 lbs with WDH and 1800 without.
I will add the Teknosha P3 brake controller with the 7 pin trailer wiring setup.
The worry is the 6 speed transmission and we are saving for later maintenance costs.
The rest of this van is pretty well porven and is recognized as not being as sophisticated as the Sienna and Odyssey, but close. The one thing it does have going for it are the Stow n' Go seating that leaves a flat floor that will take the proverbial 4 X 8 sheet of plywood!
We drove it over the weekend and averages 28 miles per gallon on the road with a little city thrown in.
We were looking for a replacement for the VW TDIs that are being recalled and bought back with penalty of from $5100 t0 $10,000.
We were looking for a replacement that would not generate a car payment with a newer car and lower mileage than the VW it replaced.
We can make no recommendation as to how well the T&C will work out, but we will find out soon.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:26 PM   #15

Name: Roxanne
Trailer: Casita
Minnesota
Has anyone here used a Toyota 4Runner as a tow vehicle for a 17' Casita? This is a vehicle I have considered.
MNDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:26 PM   #16

Name: J
Trailer: Casita 16
Saskatchewan
Family tow vehicle

We tow a 16 ft Casita SD with a 2015 Highlander with no problems and use about 13 liters per 100 kms ( yes we are Canadian) We also appreciate the 7 seat capacity for family outings.
Stoonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:56 PM   #17

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.5fb
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNDreamer View Post
Has anyone here used a Toyota 4Runner as a tow vehicle for a 17' Casita? This is a vehicle I have considered.

We use a 4Runner for a Bigfoot 17.5 trailer that weighs 4400 lbs loaded to travel. Reese weight distributing hitch. Very good combination. It will do 60mph on level highway with no wind. Slow on steep hills, but overall a good match. The 4Runner fits in our driveway and garage (1932 home). Nothing bigger would do that. Also 20mpg without trailer and 14 with trailer. We have never had sway or other towing problems. It should be plenty for a 17' Casita.
Worto is offline   Reply With Quote