Ferry passage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2014, 04:57 PM   #1

Name: Elly
Trailer: (Former) Casita 17 SD
Florida
Ferry passage

As we start to plan our spring/summer travel as newbies with a 17' Casita, there are times when I want to take a ferry -- Lake Champlain, Long Island Sound, Cape May-Lewes, etc. Is this difficult while towing? Do you need to chock the trailer wheels? Any other on-board safety considerations?
Elly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:12 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by global2edg View Post
As we start to plan our spring/summer travel as newbies with a 17' Casita, there are times when I want to take a ferry -- Lake Champlain, Long Island Sound, Cape May-Lewes, etc. Is this difficult while towing? Do you need to chock the trailer wheels? Any other on-board safety considerations?
We've used two of the Lake Champlain ferries, the Cape May Lewes ferry and numerous North Carolina ferries. Not hard at all. Just follow the lead of the crew. They will supply the chocks. Usually only the front vehicles are chocked. Park- first gear and your parking brake will hold the vehicle in place. Enjoy the ride. Be aware the Cape May Lewes ferry is quite pricey by east coast standards. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:37 PM   #3

Florida
Thanks, Raz! I love taking ferries, but was a bit anxious looking forward to a first with the trailer. The Cape May ferry is pricey - but it's one of my favorites. We saw dolphin pods last time across, and of course the reward of being on the beach on either side is priceless, as they say. Happy Trails - Happy Sails!!
Old 02-08-2014, 06:14 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Try a west coast ferry and you might see something like this:

Videos: Orca whales spotted hunting, killing dolphins off the coast of Nanaimo - BC | Globalnews.ca
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:00 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
This brings back memories from a couple years ago.
We took the Alaska Marine Highway system ferry down the east coast from Alaska to Prince Rupert, the first ferry we had to back onto, the second ferry we had to back off, the third ferry we were able to drive on and drive off (thank goodness). They choked the wheels on each leg.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
My favorite ferry experience with the Escape was coming from Canada after EggFest Ontario into the US at Wolfe Island. The ferry to the US from the island was small enough that I was loaded crosswise with the front of the RAV4 hanging off the starboard side & the tail of the Escape hanging over the port ramp. Some photos on my blog for the day.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
As Raz indicated the crew on most of ferries I have been on will chock the wheels if they feel its needed. Here in BC they do require you to shut off propane tanks while on the ferry and they provide a seal at the ticket booth to put on the tank to indicate they are shut off.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:33 PM   #8

Florida
Didn't even think about tanks. Good to know.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 02-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
My favorite ferry experience with the Escape was coming from Canada after EggFest Ontario into the US at Wolfe Island. The ferry to the US from the island was small enough that I was loaded crosswise with the front of the RAV4 hanging off the starboard side & the tail of the Escape hanging over the port ramp. Some photos on my blog for the day.
Great photos Jon. Nova Scotia on my "must see" list. Saw on your blog you were headed there. How was it for camping? We plan to be in Portland, ME, and you can grab a ferry from there to NS. We may try that.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:05 PM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
If you have big mirrors they like to fold them in, and will do so without asking. Keep this in mind if you have add on extension mirrors, you may want to take them off before boarding.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:32 AM   #11
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
The worst thing that ever happened to us was a seagull pooped on the windshield.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3060414713.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	68131

Front row seat!
Attached Thumbnails
image-3408914445.jpg   image-546526876.jpg  

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:43 AM   #12

Florida
Bird poop = good luck! At least that's what my grandma always said...