Finally - Shocks on our Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #15

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
This naturally brings up a question for you Scampers.
If we were to produce a weld-on kit for adding shock absorbers to Scamp 19's - would anyone buy one?

Kit would include
  1. 2 wheel plates + locknuts
  2. 2 Monroe 555003 shocks
  3. 2 Trimmed lower mount bolt + washer/nut
  4. 2 Weld on towers using trimmed shoulder bolt + washers/nut
Price would probably be just under 2 Benjamins.
Is it worth us pursuing this idea?
Where do all the Scampers hang out to ask this question - if not here?
Thanks, Jim
If it would also fit the Scamp 16 (don't know why it wouldn't) I would be in for one (set). I still want to know why the whole affair could not be moved up 2-3" though. Just less hanging down low by the tire. You might want to start another thead to keep from the question getting lost on this one.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:58 AM   #16

Name: Mike & Helene
Trailer: Scamp 5er
Florida
I would be VERY interested in a good kit. Tell me more

Old 09-25-2014, 09:57 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sullivan View Post
I would be VERY interested in a good kit. Tell me more
Mike,

I started a new thread here: Any interest in a Shock absorber kit for Scamps?

But it has been hijacked by the armchair quarterbacks.
So I've pretty much given up.

To answer your question it would likely be based on our Casita kit.
There is a high-level write-up about that here Casita Travel Trailer Modifications - Bolt-on Shock Absorber Kit - The Casita Club
and more info on our website here: Casita Shock Absorber Kit

Following Johns method above we would not need that large axle plate but would make a simple tower bracket that you would weld directly to the frame. Before we invest time/money in CAD work and prototypes we need to see if there is enough interest.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 09-26-2014, 01:18 AM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Hi Jim, interesting reading of the responces by folks on both threads of your question of interest for Scamp shocks. I've seen the video Donna mentions. I can see the advantage of shocks added to torsion axles. I do believe your answer that shocks damper in one direction as opposed to rubber axles dampening both ways, pretty much sums up an advantage to adding shocks, at least to me. Certainly not everyone is interested in adding shocks, to each their own. The questions that come to my mine is as a manufacturer of these for Casitas, have they sold well enough so far for what went into the R&D ?. If so and with them on the shelf, I would think with the vast numbers of Scamps/Casitas out there it would be kind of a no brainer, at least to me, not to tool up for Scamps also. A few more trips with things getting rearranged in the Casita I may pop for them just to see if it makes a difference. Your 3" lift worked great on my SD 17 and was a quality built part so I can only think the shock kit would be the same.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:59 PM   #19

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1999 Casita 17' SD
Ohio
Something I've not seen mentioned is the improved ride in our Silverado after installing Orbital's shock kit on our 1999 17' Casita SD

After a long drive over well worn interstates feeling relaxed is a new feeling

Joe
Old 11-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I had my shocks installed this week by Larry Gamble and a lift kit and axle. On the way over I muttered to myself about how noisy the ride was as the steps clank away. After I picked my SD up I realized how much quieter the ride was and smoother. No more clang. I am guessing that when my trailer bounced and the wheels or wheel came off the ground and then back down that it applied a counter force to forward motion like a quick brake tap and caused a jerkier movement but no more. [thats my uneducated guess] Anyway I think it was one of my best investments and Larry did a great job.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:15 AM   #21

Name: John & BJ
Trailer: 2010 Scamp D19
Mesa AZ
Registry
I'm out on a trip through the Arizona Strip & Zion right now. The first meaningful trip since I installed the shocks on the Scamp. HUGE improvement!

Sent from my XT1032 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
www.justfinding.blogspot.com
John & BJ S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #22

Name: Mike & Helene
Trailer: Scamp 5er
Florida
John, enjoy your trip and I would be interested in finding out more about you shock install. Please let me know when your off your trip and have time to talk. Thanks Mike "Sully".
Old 11-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #23

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I would be interested in a kit for the 16' Scamp.
Weld on towers are OK with me.
As to welding on a grade 8 bolt, yes it is no longer grade 8, but it probably does not need to be and it would be less likley to break. Bend maybe, but not break.
I haven't looked at the pictures that were referred to , but my guess is it would be no problem.
OK I went back and looked at the socket head shoulder bolt welded in at the top and I have two observations.
1. this is NOT a grade 8 bolt. It is a SHCS which is above grade 8 and the metal is of a much better grade.
2. The head of the shoulder bolt is welded around the outside and the actual matal in the shoulder is probably little affected, but again is much stronger than most cooking grade bolts and the loads are smoothed by the shocks themselves.
I see no problem here. It looks like a very good solution and could be fariley easily repaired if necessary (which I doubt will ever happen)

Good job!
Old 11-12-2014, 12:01 PM   #24

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I wonder if I could put shocks on our ParkLiner? We have those torsion stub axles on ours. Not sure if it would help, but every little bit can only be good.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:50 PM   #25

Florida
I wonder also if the axle mounting plates would fit a Flexiride axle brake plate?
The mounting holes are the same since they all use basically the same electric brakes and mount.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:33 PM   #26

Name: John & BJ
Trailer: 2010 Scamp D19
Mesa AZ
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
I would be interested in a kit for the 16' Scamp.
OK I went back and looked at the socket head shoulder bolt welded in at the top and I have two observations.
1. this is NOT a grade 8 bolt. It is a SHCS which is above grade 8 and the metal is of a much better grade.
2. The head of the shoulder bolt is welded around the outside and the actual matal in the shoulder is probably little affected, but again is much stronger than most cooking grade bolts and the loads are smoothed by the shocks themselves.
I see no problem here. It looks like a very good solution and could be fariley easily repaired if necessary (which I doubt will ever happen)

Good job!
Back from a tour through the Arizona Strip and Zion National Park...

I'm glad that the installation meets with your approval for what it's worth, but I'm not sure what pictures you looked at. The upper mount is in fact a Grade 8 hex bolt (at least according to the head markings) and is not a Socket Head Cap Screw as you suggest. The lower bolt is a shoulder bolt as provided with the Monroe shock.

www.justfinding.blogspot.com
John & BJ S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:55 AM   #27

Florida
Not the same picture I looked at for the Blue shock tower from the orbital kit.
What is welded to the plate on the traile may well be a grade 8 or 5 in the posted picture. I still don't see a problem.
The picture I saw on the orbital sitewas of a SHCS shoulder bolt welded to the bracket.
If you are concerned and don't mind welding then instead of mounting the plate with the bolt welded then weld a tube thorught the 3 X 1 1/2 " frame member and pass the bolt through that. It would be considerably stronger and pass the stress to the frame better as well.
Still don't see a problem as shown as long as the welder did a good job.

Here is the link to the picture I looked at (for the Casita?)

Casita Travel Trailer Modifications - Bolt-on Shock Absorber Kit - The Casita Club
Old 01-22-2015, 03:38 AM   #28

Name: Bert
Trailer: BOLER
Ontario
If it fits my '74 BOLER, I would buy it.

Tags
scamp