Firestone coil-rite helper air bags - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2018, 06:33 PM   #21

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If your car or truck has HID lights from the factory it must also have automatic levelers or head light correction means built in.
Aftermarket lights are supposed to have them, but few do.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:35 PM   #22

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
I've used a number of these capacity increasing devices....
One minor point here. I think it's a misnomer to call an airbag a "capacity increasing device", because they don't increase the published capacities. While they may reduce or eliminate squat, the tow vehicle's published capacities (i.e., payload, towing and max tongue weight) remain the same.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:45 AM   #23

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
tacoma headlights

I adjusted the lights on my taco so they are about right while towing. When not towing they are a bit low on low beams, which is the oncoming traffic annoyance. High beams are fine.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:06 AM   #24

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
A weight distribution hitch makes more sense to me. It transfers weight from the rear axle to the front axle of the tow and to the trailer. Improves ride and security. Added bonus is the headlight point in the right direction.

All those airbags do is make the rear suspension harder to compress. You could just weld the coils together and the rear wouldn't sag at all.
Glenn, the squat is very minimal and I thought a weight distribution hitch would be overkill. Also, I have a small unibody suv and its not specifically rated for weight distribution. I do know of one person using weight distribution with the car, but I'm taking a cautious approach, they put a lot of strain on a unibody vehicle imho.The bags are a lot better than welding the coils together, they still allow the suspension to work just stiffen up the rear a bit.

This is just an experiment, I'll report on my experience after i use them a few times worst case i will be out $100.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:04 AM   #25

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
I have been looking at an airbag option too for towing our aged (well seasoned) 1988 16ft. Casita. I am towing with an older 1997 4WD Jeep Cherokee which came with the factory tow package option. I am not sure if the Jeep tow package in that year actually delivered heavier springs springs or not but I do have a minor sag when the trailer is added to the bumper. I suspect the 21 year old springs in my car might be a factor. The car (truck as Jeepers would call it) does sit level when standing alone.

I agree with John in that I would rather not deal with the extra weight and hassle of a WDH. Some kind of suspension assist is my preferred option. I like air bags as they can be dialed up or down as needed. I have a small 12v. air compressor and have added a fused 12v. outlet to the back of my Jeep luggage area which will allow me to air the bags up and down as warranted.
Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:05 AM   #26

Name: Kevin
Trailer: In the market
South Carolina
So after hopping online for the FIRESTONE air kit for my generation 1 tundra (2006) have found that the kit is discontinued from firestone. It had a 3000 pound capacity and have no idea why it was discontinued. Speculate not enough demand.

The alternative is the AIRLIFT brand kit with lifetime warranty. Am trying to find a dealer who does installs with that. Has to work with my 2WD tundra and looks like it only has a 2000 pound capacity. Which is okay as really think I will be around 1000 pounds or less.
offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:15 AM   #27

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post
it only has a 2000 pound capacity
Why is that a problem? Excuse this if its a dumb question, but aren't we talking about ameliorating the effects of the few hundred pounds of trailer tongue added to the rear suspension's load?
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:19 AM   #28

Name: Kevin
Trailer: In the market
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Why is that a problem? Excuse this if its a dumb question, but aren't we talking about ameliorating the effects of the few hundred pounds of trailer tongue added to the rear suspension's load?

That’s right. It’s not a problem. Given a few hundred pounds of tongue weight to offset. It’s likely less than 500 pounds to offset on the tongue.

Incidentally after calling two places for install, one mentioned $850 installed with the firestone kit. (Which I had asked for the AIRLIFT kit but he said he could get the firestone kit). — while the other mentioned $550 with the AIRLIFT kit.

Will schedule it in a couple weeks while visiting relatives. Likely will go with the less cost version.
offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:22 AM   #29

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post
That’s right. It’s not a problem. Given a few hundred pounds of tongue weight to offset. It’s likely less than 500 pounds to offset on the tongue.

Incidentally after calling two places for install, one mentioned $850 installed with the firestone kit. (Which I had asked for the AIRLIFT kit but he said he could get the firestone kit). — while the other mentioned $550 with the AIRLIFT kit.

Will schedule it in a couple weeks while visiting relatives. Likely will go with the less cost version.
For your tundra, the kit is much more robust than what I installed. Like someone mentioned on here there is a popular youtube channel where the family lives in a 5th wheel and they say the air springs made a big difference in ride quality.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:50 AM   #30

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
The manufacturer publishes "capacity" ratings based on criteria they consider to be relevant without consideration of aftermarket additions. If the additions were OEM items, published capacities may indeed change as they do when many OEM options are added by the manufacturer.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:01 PM   #31

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Most small cars needing leveling don't have the extra hitch capacity to go adding 50 pounds of a weight distributing hitch. The old days you had air Lift or air shocks. When not towing you could also have the go fast attitude to go zoomy zoomy.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:54 PM   #32

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I have an air lift compressor if anyone needs one. I haven't thought about the price.
It has a gauge and switch to raise and lower.
I used it on my VW to level the Sportwagen TDI.
By the way the Sportwagen has optional towing springs that raise the rear about 2 " which my Scamp would make about level. Airbags let you have level in loaded and unloaded conditions.
My new TV a Town and Country has the towing package that includes leveling shock absorbers and the manual recommends using a WDH for over 1800 lbs.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:31 AM   #33

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I'd forgotten until just now that I put adjustable air shocks on my '65 Falcon wagon in anticipation of towing with it (a compact car according to Ford's 1965 literature!). Never used it for that since I bought the Kia for other reasons and decided to use it as the tug instead. I actually looked into installing them on the Kia too but was informed by my shock guys there's no such shock available that fits the car. And the Falcon air shocks were an off-the-shelf item lol, go figure.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 12:38 PM   #34

Name: Jim
Trailer: Boler 13
Alberta
Installed the airbags in the rear coil springs of my Toyota 4Runner. Retains the proper rear bumper height and headlight aim. Works great! No problems.
Jim Pissot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:25 PM   #35

Name: Gary
Trailer: Alto by Safari Condo
Illinois
Quote:
A weight distribution hitch makes more sense to me. It transfers weight from the rear axle to the front axle of the tow and to the trailer. Improves ride and security. Added bonus is the headlight point in the right direction.

All those airbags do is make the rear suspension harder to compress. You could just weld the coils together and the rear wouldn't sag at all.

Don't know what their TV is, but WD hitches are not recommended for most uni-body vehicles.
GaryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 04:01 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
Don't know what their TV is, but WD hitches are not recommended for most uni-body vehicles.

That is not true. Suggest you make a list of vehicles that are not uni-body these days.
It's just another old saw, like saying you need a V8 to tow or you need to take cod liver oil.

Save you some time:
The Only 15 'Real' SUVs Left on the Market
  • Cadillac Escalade / Chevrolet Tahoe / Chevrolet Suburban / GMC Yukon. ...
  • Ford Expedition / Lincoln Navigator. ...
  • Infiniti QX80 / Nissan Armada. ...
  • Jeep Wrangler. ...
  • Mercedes-Benz G-Class. ...
  • Toyota 4Runner / Lexus GX. ...
  • Toyota Land Cruiser / Lexus LX.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:20 PM   #37

Illinois
Quote:
That is not true. Suggest you make a list of vehicles that are not uni-body these days.
It's just another old saw, like saying you need a V8 to tow or you need to take cod liver oil.

Save you some time:
The Only 15 'Real' SUVs Left on the Market
  • Cadillac Escalade / Chevrolet Tahoe / Chevrolet Suburban / GMC Yukon. ...
  • Ford Expedition / Lincoln Navigator. ...
  • Infiniti QX80 / Nissan Armada. ...
  • Jeep Wrangler. ...
  • Mercedes-Benz G-Class. ...
  • Toyota 4Runner / Lexus GX. ...
  • Toyota Land Cruiser / Lexus LX.

Nothing was said about SUVs in the original post. You left out all of the full size pickups. Suggest you read this information from etrailer.com.
https://tinyurl.com/yc2y55r7
Old 10-27-2018, 04:40 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
And, it says, in part:
The unibody structure is popular because it helps reduce weight and improves ride quality and fuel economy. So, it's not going anywhere. Engineering and material capabilities continue to improve each year, and unibody vehicles continue to improve. We've seen this with some vehicle manufacturers whose first unibody designs were not able to use WD, but later models are now rated for use with WD.

So, to determine a particular vehicle or model year's compatibility with WD or sway control, the best thing to do is consult the specifications in the the owner's manual or contact the dealer or vehicle manufacturer directly.

My Toyota RAV4 manual says Toyota does not recommend a WDH. With much difficulty I got through to Toyota Canada and they said that they don't recommend after market products that they don't make or if they haven't a relationship with the manufacturer. My ten-year-old RAV4 WDH receiver was checked during a recent dealer service and pronounced excellent.
Honda Pilot also says something about not recommending WDH. The owner of a Pilot who pursued the issue found that the reason was that they couldn't control the installation of said system and had found some were not done correctly.
So, in both these cases, the issue was not with uni-body construction.
Attached Thumbnails
With WDH1.jpg  
Old 10-27-2018, 08:23 PM   #39

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500
Registry
I don't think that any manufacture of single axle trailers, TT of Utility or special purpose trailers, would recommend a WDH due to the possibility of frame damage while going in and out of driveway dips and the addition load even just when driving on level ground. The extra pressure on the trailer frame at the spring bar mount and also adding to the actual load put on the TT axle. I would like to see the manual that came with any single axle trailer that says a WDH is acceptable to use and safe.

WDH hitches transfer the tongue weight (when properly set up) to axles of both the toad and the TV. Read the manual for a WDH on how to set it up for proper towing by measuring to vehicle drop.
ROBERT ONEILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:51 PM   #40

Illinois
Quote:
And, it says, in part:
The unibody structure is popular because it helps reduce weight and improves ride quality and fuel economy. So, it's not going anywhere. Engineering and material capabilities continue to improve each year, and unibody vehicles continue to improve. We've seen this with some vehicle manufacturers whose first unibody designs were not able to use WD, but later models are now rated for use with WD.

So, to determine a particular vehicle or model year's compatibility with WD or sway control, the best thing to do is consult the specifications in the the owner's manual or contact the dealer or vehicle manufacturer directly.

My Toyota RAV4 manual says Toyota does not recommend a WDH. With much difficulty I got through to Toyota Canada and they said that they don't recommend after market products that they don't make or if they haven't a relationship with the manufacturer. My ten-year-old RAV4 WDH receiver was checked during a recent dealer service and pronounced excellent.
Honda Pilot also says something about not recommending WDH. The owner of a Pilot who pursued the issue found that the reason was that they couldn't control the installation of said system and had found some were not done correctly.
So, in both these cases, the issue was not with uni-body construction.

OK, you win! I'm not going to argue with you. A vehicle with a frame is much stronger than a uni-body vehicle, so go ahead and take your chances!