Firestone coil-rite helper air bags - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-20-2018, 09:59 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp 13
IL
Firestone coil-rite helper air bags

Recently purchased these because I was getting a bit of rear squat that I wanted to get rid of. Installed today, but won't get to test them out with the scamp until 2 weeks from now. Seem to be working, with 35 psi in them they raised the car up an inch or so.

Attached Thumbnails
20181020_171644.jpg   20181020_171712.jpg  

20181020_171619.jpg  

Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:55 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I've heard of folks doing this but don't quite understand the purpose, may I ask what your rationale is for adding them?

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:22 PM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp 13
IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I've heard of folks doing this but don't quite understand the purpose, may I ask what your rationale is for adding them?
The bags essentially firm up your springs and they raise the rear of the car up a bit when heavily loaded.

Even though I am within the weight limits of the car, the rear squats a little bit too much. Especially with the cars very bright led headlights just a little bit of rear squat gets the headlights into peoples eyes and I am constantly being flashed.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:36 PM   #4

Registry
That's a very good reason indeed, effect on headlights by the squat on the tug is something I'd never thought of. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2018, 11:47 PM   #5

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
A weight distribution hitch makes more sense to me. It transfers weight from the rear axle to the front axle of the tow and to the trailer. Improves ride and security. Added bonus is the headlight point in the right direction.

All those airbags do is make the rear suspension harder to compress. You could just weld the coils together and the rear wouldn't sag at all.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:52 PM   #6

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
A weight distribution hitch makes more sense to me. It transfers weight from the rear axle to the front axle of the tow and to the trailer. Improves ride and security. Added bonus is the headlight point in the right direction.

All those airbags do is make the rear suspension harder to compress. You could just weld the coils together and the rear wouldn't sag at all.
I believe the OP has a Scamp 13' trailer. It's NOT recommended to use a WDH. It's way to easy overload the 2200 lb axle.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:12 AM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I believe the OP has a Scamp 13' trailer. It's NOT recommended to use a WDH. It's way to easy overload the 2200 lb axle.

The axle, or does the frame have some weak points?
Old 10-21-2018, 12:22 AM   #8

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
The axle, or does the frame have some weak points?

I don't know about the frame, it could have some weak points. I do know that, at least my trailer has a 2200lb Dexter axle under it. When I bought mine (new) in 2005 the manual said not to use a WDH.

Observing larger and heavier they seem to do ok with WDH.

A local owner of a Burro 17' and towing with a minivan put those air bags on and it seemed to work quite well.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:53 AM   #9

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Back in the 70s the government did tests on trailers and tow vehicles and found that air bags provided about 1/2 of the benefit of the weight distributing hitch.
As a matter of fact they suggest using air bags with the WDH to take about 1/2 of the sag out before adjusting the hitch for the rest.
The air bags serve to increase the spring rate of the rear which raises the natural frequency of the system.
redbarron55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:31 AM   #10

Registry
I agree with Byron and will add that not only does a WDH put stresses on small trailer frames that most aren't designed to take, many smaller tow vehicles aren't supposed to use them either. Ladder frame construction has gone the way of the dodo in most all autos and unibodies do NOT like the WDH. Since David refers to his tug as a car it's likely he has one of those, this looks like the appropriate solution to the headlight problem to me. One I should look into doing myself, i've noticed a similar phenom when towing at night and it's never occurred to me that the headlights may simply be aimed too high due to rear squat. Thanks again, David!
Old 10-21-2018, 10:56 AM   #11

Name: Kevin
Trailer: In the market
South Carolina
Firestone coil-rite helper air bags

Have a 5000 pound dual axle Lance RV trailer with WDH. Will need to check if thatís okay to have WDH as am the second owner. thinking of air bags as it bounces too much (slightly), and sags two inches; and hope it reduces that.

Looks like the kit is around somewhere less than $350 for the parts. So many variations of it on amazon so assume will buy via mechanic who will install. Maybe get it all in and working for less than $500 I hope in my 2006 tundra
offroad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:26 AM   #12

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I've used a number of these capacity increasing devices with some success. I look at them as a temporary solution. A little "tug squat" is to be expected however if it becomes significant you may have a capacity issue. Capacity decreases with vehicle age. Increasing spring capacity is a better solution. The best solution is a heavier tug.

A WDH, in essence, makes the frame of the trailer and the tug a single. Vehicle squat doesn't occur as the rear and front ends drop the same distance as does the trailer as the total weight is distributed over both frames. Some trailers are not designed to do this.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:26 AM   #13

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter-ing as I shop
Denver, CO
I appreciate the value of a weight distribution hitch, if frames can handle the stress. Of course many tow vehicles are not built on frames. Pardon me, as Glenn points out, unibodies have proven themselves. If someone cares to mention exceptions, they also have a point.

I follow Keep Your Daydreams travel channel on YouTube. He is a big fan of the Firestones on a very beefy rig. Tow Vehicle is at least an F250. You can probably find episodes devoted to the Firestones.

PS, Sprinters have a switch to raise or lower headlight beams.
Tom 72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:46 AM   #14

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Of course many tow vehicles are not built on frames.

Another way to say this is, "not many vehicles are built on frames" and that weight distribution hitches are successfully used on most unibody vehicles.