First tow advice? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2016, 07:20 PM   #1

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Trillium
Nova Scotia
First tow advice?

Hello!

I'm about to purchase my first fibreglass trailer, a 1980 Trillium Jubilee. It needs quite a bit of interior work, but the tires and the frame are fine. It's going to take me a couple of years to restore (my life is busy). I don't even own a vehicle that can tow it yet. I'm renting a pickup truck to drive about 3.5 hours to pick it up and then drive it back to my house. I'm looking for advice on driving with a trailer for the first time. Also, any pointers from those who may have towed this trailer, or a similar one.

I did read another thread on here about first time towing advice, I'm just seeing if I'm missing anything!

Cheers.
Jennygdeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:16 PM   #2

Name: Lise
Trailer: Boler
Washington
Registry
I found that other thread super helpful as I towed for the first time recently. This may be mostly a repeat but here's what sticks in my mind:

-bring tow mirrors for both sides, avail on Amazon or at uhaul. Give time to put them on n adjust with trailer attached to tow vehicle
-it helped me to bring a friend for extra eyes on the road and on the right side of the car
-don't go over 50-55 mph, anyone behind u can go around
-stop after 15-20 mins and feel hubs on trailer wheels. Read up on here what this means by searching wheel bearings
-set your parking brake whenever u park for safety
-map your route ahead of time n scout your route if possible. I drove outside of rush and avoided hills as those are common in my area
-don't get yourself somewhere u can't get out, backing up takes lots of practice!
-watch driveways and speed bumps, take it easy
-find out ball size, wiring pin configuration (4 or 7) and bring the right size. Also see if you can find out hitch height of trailer to match yours. Trailer should be level or slightly down in front for towing, but search for threads on that to understand more
-start a good habit now of walking around the trailer before leaving to check Hitch, wheels, Windows, chocks, etc. There are checklists on here
-be sure tow vehicle has a full tank and u have a full water bottle n empty bladder. It was nice but to have to think about liquids too much. 😉
-take a photo of your rig setup before you head out to tow, it will be a great memory in a few years!

Good luck n post photos when u can
Lise in WA

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-16-2016, 09:46 PM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Walk around the trailer every time you stop, too. And don't try to back on this first trip- make sure you aren't getting yourself boxed in. Wait and practice that in a big parking lot sometime.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Swing WIDE on turns.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:20 AM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Best general advice I can offer is no sudden moves. The physical behavior of two attached vehicles is less predictable than a four-wheel vehicle. Practice in a parking lot or quiet neighborhood before taking it out on the "big road."
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:56 AM   #6

Name: Eva
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Registry
First timer

Hi I just towed my 1989 casita home on Monday. It was the first time I towed anything. I was nervous at first but it was fine. Take corners wide especially when you're turning right. Drive a little slower, and give yourself extra time to stop no sudden movements no quick stops. The only thing I needed help with was backing into my driveway. Fortunately my neighbor who was a truck driver helped me and is going to give me lessons. Good luck on your new adventure!
Ultra4e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:00 AM   #7

Name: Chickaboo
Trailer: Ventura 13ft
Manitoba
Based on my first-tow experience just 3 weeks ago:

*MAKE SURE YOUR TONGUE JACK IS UP!

Also have someone tow-savvy (and a good sense of humour) available to take your call .
chickaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:32 AM   #8

Name: Tom and Stephanie
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
Wisconsin
.....and if you cannot remember all those caveat/mandates well, just grow up on a farm..............
Tom Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:16 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Make sure you know what size trailer ball you need. When crossing deep driveways try to go at an angle instead of straight in so you don't drag your trailer jack or rear bumper.

Make a checklist on hooking up the trailer and go over it step by step. You will be less anxious. Check the trailer ball connection by lifting up with the trailer jack and then raise the jack before you go.

Don't let traffic stack up behind you, pull over and let the speed demons go by.

We've all been there. After your first hour find a place to stop and check your trailer hubs take a potty break, get a drink and walk off your nervous anxiety. when you get back in the car your first tow is over and your starting your second tow. See you will have twice the experience you started with.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:10 PM   #10

Nova Scotia
Thank you to everyone who replied. Your advice is through and sage. This community truly is amazing! This is excellent because I'm going to need a *lot* of support as I restore this camper.
I might have lucked out, the current owners might be delivering the trailer to me. I should know in a couple of days if my first tow adventure happens before, or after the reno!
I'll keep you updated and post pictures of the 'before'!
Old 08-17-2016, 06:31 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
A lot of first posts from new members are: "I removed the stove, fridge, furnace, cabinets, 'rat fur'. What should I do now"?
Best advice is don't do anything until you have a complete plan for the restoration part.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:47 PM   #12

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
A lot of first posts from new members are: "I removed the stove, fridge, furnace, cabinets, 'rat fur'. What should I do now"?
Best advice is don't do anything until you have a complete plan for the restoration part.
Well said
Old 08-17-2016, 11:34 PM   #13

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Tires and wheel bearings. They must be in good shape. If the bearings have not been replaced recientely - good luck making it home B 4 burning out the bearings. All lights must work. Harbor freight sells a set of magnetic emergency tail lights complete with wiring and plug that will reach all the way to the truck. I have a set just in case of an emergency. They are not expensive. A 12 Volt air compressor that works off the tow. While battery to pump up the tires. A Jack to jack up the camper along with the lug wrench. Someone mentioned the correct hitch ball size, Harbor Freight sells one with all 3 sizes on the 2 inch bar, not expensive. Road flairs, a very bright color and reflective vest Harbor Freight) to keep you from. Ding run over. HF also sells a small tester that will test the tow vehicle trailer wiring receptacle.

Do it in the day time where running lights are not required.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:24 AM   #14

Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post

So, when you say "complete plan for the restoration", what do you mean? (I was serious about the needing of advice)!
Before I rip things out I should know what I want it to look like when I'm done? Can't I do it but by bit? Start with the kitchen, move on to the dining area, replace the floors, redo upholstery.
Know what I want to improve before I remove? Something like that? 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-18-2016, 10:20 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'm talking about asking questions before tearing stuff out. There have been people pulling all the propane appliances out of their trailer without considering the consequences. People have pulled down cabinets, unaware that they are part of the structure and holding the roof up.
Goes on and on.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:38 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Before you start tearing anything out, I'd use the trailer first. What you THINK you need or want to change may not be the case at all. We've seen far too many trailers that were demolished for a rehab, and were never finished. Don't miss out on camping because your trailer sits in pieces.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:09 PM   #17

Nova Scotia
Thanks everyone for your advice. The trailer arrived today, delivered! It's extremely water-damaged on the floor, I think I need to gut it. I have MANY questions, and will start another thread about reno advice.

Stay tuned!
Old 08-20-2016, 01:17 PM   #18

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You need to treat it for mold right away to insure it does not start to grow.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote