Fix for tire wear and positive camber - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-26-2016, 04:40 PM   #15

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Heck, the 5.0TA has two torsion axles AND springs.
Which springs? Why?

Old 07-26-2016, 04:43 PM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: Boler
Deep South
Registry
Jon, Floyd and Donna you all make very good arguments and I guess 45 years is not too bad lol, I guess when I learned about the torsion axle over the last year or so and the post here about issues I got it in my mind that the rubber wasn't as durable as other types of axles...Jon I did not know Airstream used them too. I do like Donna's idea though of a bolt on torsion axle as I really don't want to cut & weld on my frame to remove and install a new one as the frame is in good shape.

And yes like sokhapkin said what springs?

Old 07-26-2016, 04:56 PM   #17

Deep South
Registry
Regarding the picture of the wheels tilting outwards, can this happen with a new one say from being under loaded? Is there an adjustment such as shimming the axle at the frame to correct this?
Old 07-26-2016, 05:07 PM   #18

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
It seems to me that switching out a rubber torsion axle for leaf springs/straight axle in like switching out your cell/smart phone a land line rotary dial phone.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:23 PM   #19

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Which springs? Why?
It has springs because leaf springs are adjustable at the shackles. ETI is building 5.0TAs for many different pickups and it seems each truck manufacturer has a different bed height. I know my 4x4 Ford is a different height than a 2x4 Ford of the same model.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:39 AM   #20

Deep South
Registry
Browsing here for axle information regarding Bolers & Scamps I found this Boler in which the owner replaced the torsion axle with a leaf spring type without shock absorbers. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/i...34290/5674.jpg

Anyone here got a rubber torsion axle replaced on their Boler recently and if so what did you install and what was the cost of the axle by itself and the cost to have it installed.

I really don't want to pull the body off the frame again but I am concerned about someone burning my new wood subfloor or even worse the fiberglass during the process of cutting the old axle out and welding in a new one, (not to mention the possibility of damaging or weakening the frame)...read a post here about that happening to another Boler owner. I considered tackling it myself since I could take my time an exercise a lot more caution to prevent that from happening as opposed to someone trying to get mine in and out quickly for the next one in line...

Also another thought was the flammability of the rubber undercoating I sprayed on the subfloor, the flexible spray on rubber coating in a can stuff. I would hate to see all my hard work go "poof"
Old 07-27-2016, 10:27 AM   #21

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
Regarding the picture of the wheels tilting outwards, can this happen with a new one say from being under loaded? Is there an adjustment such as shimming the axle at the frame to correct this?
1. This should not be an issue if the axle was originally sized for the design load of the trailer.

2. No.

You may just as well bite the bullet. You will be glad you did.........45 more years of trouble free service.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:33 AM   #22

Name: Owen
Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Alberta
Registry
Torsion Axle vs. Springs

Johnny, After owning our 1973 Trillium with torsion axles, we went to a larger stick-built (Kit Companion) for a short time. We never gave any thought to the type of axles or suspension system until our first trip out.
The first thing we had to do each time we stopped was pick up all the clothes and replace the hangers in the closet. The trailer bounced like a paint-shaker at the hardware store.
One summer later we bought our Dolphin with torsion suspension and the problem went away. Good luck with your project!!
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:45 AM   #23

Deep South
Registry
Okay thanks for the replies. I have a Dexter Axle plant about 1 mile from my home so I called them and they are going to email me over a form to fill out for a new axle. I was surprised that they said they built everything as needed and don't stock anything. Anyone here put a Dexter brand torsion axle on their Boler and if so what were the specs or model #?
Old 07-27-2016, 11:06 AM   #24

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Johnny, if no one answers up... you may want to get in touch with Paul Neumeister. He sells axles for Bolers. While he's in Sebringville, Ontario and you don't need an axle from him, I bet he can give you all the information you need.

Fibreglass RV Parts, Repairs, and Service by Paul Neumeister
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:09 AM   #25

Deep South
Registry
Thanks Donna, I forgot about Paul! Thanks!
Old 07-27-2016, 12:00 PM   #26

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
If this helps you...just got new axle installed on my 2012 Scamp 13 for negative camber on curbside tire. Torsion axles are supposed to have some positive camber as I recall which corrects when trailer is loaded.

If you're getting funky tire wear, a new axle on a 45 year old one would be a good investment and my opinion is to stay with the torsion axle. By the way my curbside spindle was bent, saw with my own eyes. Trailer tires nice and true now.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 07-27-2016, 12:10 PM   #27

Deep South
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
If this helps you...just got new axle installed on my 2012 Scamp 13 for negative camber on curbside tire. Torsion axles are supposed to have some positive camber as I recall which corrects when trailer is loaded.

If you're getting funky tire wear, a new axle on a 45 year old one would be a good investment and my opinion is to stay with the torsion axle. By the way my curbside spindle was bent, saw with my own eyes. Trailer tires nice and true now.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Thanks for the info, good to know. But this brings up another question regarding the positive camber that corrects when the trailer is loaded...I am pretty sure everyone has different loaded weights depending on their style of camping so how do you adjust for a trailer loaded on the lighter side vs one loaded on the heavy side so that you don't get bad tire wear (I understand about balancing the load evenly not talking about that)?
Old 07-27-2016, 12:22 PM   #28

Name: Fred
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Kootenay's of BC
Registry
I have a 74 boler replaced the alxe from paul, 4 bolts, a few swears,done.
in my build thread, Theres a hole on my boler
fred