Ford E150 Cargo Van - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2011, 08:24 AM   #1

Name: Sue
Trailer: 2011 Casita Liberty Deluxe with 2005 Chevy Express tow vehicle
Georgia
Ford E150 Cargo Van

This post has multi-topics. Forgive me if I put it in the wrong place.

Call me crazy, but I'm considering a cargo van for my tow vehicle.

What appeals to me is the storage space a cargo van would give a fulltimer like me. I could keep my dogs' crates in there, out of season clothes, tools, ladder, my inflatable boat and paddles, a screen room if I decide to get one, etc.

And what about putting the solar panels on the van's roof instead of drilling holes in my precious egg? Then the egg can be in the shade while the panels are in the sun.

The E150s I've seen are V8 with 2WD. I've driven cargo vans so I know they are not luxury vehicles. Also a van is more vulnerable to wind.

But gee, all that storage space will help me keep my Casita uncluttered.

Any thoughts on getting a cargo van for towing, specifically the E150?
rvsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette Deluxe / 1997 Toyota T-100
Friend just bought a used F350 Diesel van, it gets 23 MPG and has alot of room. We used a van with a small cargo trailer for camping before we got our scamp.
The van is a great idea.
D Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:55 AM   #3

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have no particular use for a Ford Transit myself, but I think they're nice little vans and might be great as a TV - maybe that's too small for what you're thinking of?
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:27 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
I have no particular use for a Ford Transit myself, but I think they're nice little vans and might be great as a TV - maybe that's too small for what you're thinking of?
If you go to Europe to buy your Transit you could buy a fit tow vehicle,but presently, in the U.S., they only offer a 135HP 4CYLwith an automatic transmission. It is a sweet little underpowered service/delivery vehicle in U.S. trim, but we need the euro versions.
I would be towing my 13 with one now if they would offer a 5spd and the 2.5L 4cyl. or a turbo.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:32 AM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Ford Transit's are way too expensive. I would like to try a Chevy Astro cargo van, Not too big but not too small, v6 power and economy and rear wheel drive.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #6

Georgia
Thanks, Dave T, for your vote. I'm a bit confused by the replies about Ford Transit which I had never heard of. I'm looking at the Ford Econoline cargo van to pull my Casita. Greg, I'll look at the Chevy Astro, too. You say it's V6 with rear wheel drive.

So now I wonder: If I have the choice of a V8 with 2 wheel drive or..... V6 with rear wheel drive.... which is the better choice to tow a Casita with?
Sue
Old 03-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Here's a topic from several years back that addresses storage. The point is why haul around winter coats in the summer: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-do-35224.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #8

Georgia
I looked over the storage topic... very interesting... I like having my clothes with me without a storage shed that I have to go to ... and pay a monthly fee for.

I'm not a clothes horse. Don't have much. Mainly I need the van for bigger things like lawn chairs, grill, and stuff I mentioned at start of thread.

I really feel unsure about the purchase of this vehicle as it is going to be with me a long time and I don't have experience towing a trailer or knowledge about V8, V6, 2WD, RWD, 4WD, blah blah. Any comments will be appreciated.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:17 PM   #9

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
A van is a fine choice, but the full sized ones do tend to be thirsty when it comes to fuel. The full size vans are a better match for a fully loaded 17' Casita, the minivans usually top out about 3500 lbs on tow capacity and sometimes have low hitches/drawbars that bottom out on dips.
They are great for carrying large items like bikes and solve the problem of how to carry them and secure them.
We had a Ford Econoline cargo van we customized to our taste years ago and loved it. The Dodge full size van is now imported from Mercedes Benz and is called a Sprinter van, with a diesel engine that gives good range but costs more than a Chevy or Ford van.

John
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:00 PM   #10

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Sue,

In part your choice of a vehicle depends on what size Casita you choose.Do you own a Casita yet or have you chosen a model?

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #11

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
The Ford Transit is a nice little vehicle but it is recommended by Ford to do no towing and no tow packages are available.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #12

Trailer: Aliner
Sue, one fulltime Casita traveler, Roadcam, installed the solar panel on his van. Here's a post on his blog about it.

Sunseeker Images: solar panel ...
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #13

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Z View Post
The Ford Transit is a nice little vehicle but it is recommended by Ford to do no towing and no tow packages are available.
Joe
Interestingly they do tow with it in Europe.

As well just about anything can tow a 13 foot trailer, particulaarly one with brakes, even a Prius. hmmmm.

Norm
Old 03-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #14

Georgia
John- So you loved your Econoline...mmm, helpful. Thanks for your suggestions.

Norm- I ordered the 17 ft Liberty Deluxe Casita late last fall. It is probably hatching as I type! I can't make the trip from GA to TX to pick it up until June, due to work.
That gives me two months to find the perfect tow vehicle.

Sharon - I'm going to check out that link right now. Thanks.

Sue
Old 03-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #15

Georgia
Sharon - Sweeeeet!!!
Old 03-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #16

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Interestingly they do tow with it in Europe.

As well just about anything can tow a 13 foot trailer, particulaarly one with brakes, even a Prius. hmmmm.

Norm
I meant to put in that post that only in the USA that the transit has no towing options.... The Attorneys would probably have a field day if someone caused a casualty towing with that vehicle.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:44 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Sue, a full size van will have rear wheel drive and a minivan will have front wheel drive. The Casita's tongue weight will be fairly heavy, so a full size van with rear wheel drive (which is what you are considering) will be better; the tongue might be too heavy for a minivan's hitch and might take too much weight off the front drive wheels, reducing traction and wearing the tires out faster due to slippage.

As for 4 wheel drive (or all wheel drive), you probably don't need it unless you are going to be driving a lot on snowy roads or doing a bunch of offroading. If you want to drive down a bunch of rough trails, 4WD is great. I personally love the all wheel drive on my Highlander as I have to be on the road for my business even if the weather is nasty. AWD is always 'on' and sending power to the wheels that need it, so it can help maintain traction on any road if one wheel slips a bit. 4WD is different; one usually cannot drive on dry pavement with 4WD engaged because it can tear up the drive train... the system locks the wheels together so they spin at the same rate, which is bad when going around a curve... but it's the best for going through deep mud and through shallow creek beds, like a Jeep. So I guess you have to think about what you might want to do with your tow vehicle. If you want to stay on good roads 99% of the time, 2WD should be enough.

I hope that helps.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #18

Florida
I think it's interesting how we almost religiously worry about tow vehicle capacity and lawyers.

Today we drove 70 miles on Interstate 95 in GA and SC. We stayed to the right driving at 60 mph, faster than normal but attempting to be a little courteous to others. In a little over an hour we were passed by at least 25 RV trailers going over 65 mph, exceeding the ratings of their tires, the most common RV failure point. Hardly anyone worries about this. Very Interesting and something worth pondering.

Norm
Old 03-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #19

Georgia
Wow, Mike, that sure does help. I've read explanations before that left me more confused than ever. You made it so easy to understand. It sounds like 2WD or AWD would be best for me.

I never considered using a minivan.

I'm feeling much better about the E150 V8 with 2WD. I know the V8 will guzzle the gas but I want power and cargo space, and I won't be driving that much once I get to the Southwest. Not like now with my daily work commute!

Thanks so much for the info, Mike. You cleared up a lot of questions I had.

Sue
Old 03-26-2011, 11:40 PM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi Sue,

I drove full size vans for several years. I liked the vans for many reasons and one was the ease of storage and access to the stuff inside. I had chevy and dodge. I never got better than about 14mpg average and I don't know what that would be towing. There are some downside to having a van. They don't ride or drive like a car. I would suggest renting (or borrow) one for a few days of normal driving. See if it suites you. I would think most any v8 full size van would have no problem towing a Casita - but always make your own evaluation.

Steve
slbran is offline   Reply With Quote