Ford Escape and Scamp 13: Is Class II hitch ok? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-30-2014, 01:38 PM   #57

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Floyd, about the harder access to replace Toyota components: the local Toyota dealer explained that Toyota designs things this way because they know they're so reliable, it's highly unlikely the components will ever need replacement (the way mine did... yeah, right). I don't know how they keep a straight face.
To quote Larry the Cable Guy... "I don't care who you are...That there's FUNNY!!"

Old 11-30-2014, 05:37 PM   #58

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
One more question please if you will. My scamp is in storage on jacks so I can't check on anything. I seem to remember that the distance from the center of your hitch receiver to the ground should be 16 or 18 inches? Which one or any of that is correct? I have a 13. Wanna make sure before I buy transit connect. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
You can adjust the height of the ball/hitch by purchasing a receiver with a certain 'rise' or 'drop' to give you the height you need to achieve a level tow. You want your trailer level, so you need to measure your trailer when it is off the jacks. No need to overthink now and try to figure it out, you can do it when you get your transit hitch installed. They can set you up with the correct height the hitch.

Sounds like you are on your way to having a combo that will meet your needs!

Old 11-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #59

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
One more question please if you will. My scamp is in storage on jacks so I can't check on anything. I seem to remember that the distance from the center of your hitch receiver to the ground should be 16 or 18 inches? Which one or any of that is correct? I have a 13. Wanna make sure before I buy transit connect. Thank you!

Scamp recommends 18" from the ground to the top of the ball on the tow vehicle for your trailer.
This need not be exact, but a drawbar which puts it at or slightly below level at the tongue is what you need.
The height of the hitch receiver is fixed by the vehicle and the hitch design.
The drawbar is then bought to attain the right ball height.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:38 PM   #60

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Good explaination, Floyd, I said 'hitch' when I should have said 'draw bar'.
I have 3 different draw bars in my garage, because of the different heights of each of my tow vehicles.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:38 PM   #61

Name: Larry & Joyce
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
Fergus Ontario
Registry
The class II hitch is easily OK. And you don't even need the 6 cylinder Escape to pull the Scamp, although it's nice. A 4 cyl SUV or mid sized car will work well too.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:54 PM   #62

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Just thought I'd report that the new 14 ford transit connect is about 8 inches shorter than it's predecessors so a no go for my brother. Was trying to find a multi purpose vehicle that would tow and allow for wheelchair access and be good on gas. No go.

Now looking for a toyota sienna with auto access seat without going bankrupt. Wish me luck!

Old 01-02-2015, 04:07 PM   #63

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Keep an eye on craigslist; some accessible vehicles get posted there.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:37 PM   #64

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
You might try www.searchtempest.com. It will search every craigslist and E-bay listing within a specified search radius of a specific city or zip code. 😊

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #65

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Just thought I'd report that the new 14 ford transit connect is about 8 inches shorter than it's predecessors so a no go for my brother. Was trying to find a multi purpose vehicle that would tow and allow for wheelchair access and be good on gas. No go.

Now looking for a toyota sienna with auto access seat without going bankrupt. Wish me luck!

Are you aware that they make a long wheelbase with a 92" floor?
Old 01-06-2015, 06:57 AM   #66

New York
Registry
Thank you Ray for the search tempest link! Been in it since you wrote and it is awesome! Cheers for that!

Floyd, I had been looking at LWB connects. That works out fine. The problem is the head height of the van now. Used to be 51" at the rear swing out doors, now it's 44". Don't think my brother's head will clear that as I roll him up. The 13's and older would have been great for w/c access, but they don't tow.

I'm in a bit of a pickle now. Don't want to buy a big 8 cylinder monster of a van. Just gotta keep strategizing. Love the toyota sienna with auto access seat, but finding one used is like looking for a paramecium without a microscope. .

Old 01-09-2015, 08:34 AM   #67

New York
Registry
Update. Found a 2007 chevy express 1500 van with 4.3 vortech, which is same motor as my s10. Has tow package brake controller and ricon lift. I like the lift as it's a fold out which makes the folded in height much shorter when in the van.

Is a cargo but PO put in a turning driver seat, power fold out bed/bench seat in rear, DVD player and mid top for height. Has rear side windows installed too and only 39000 miles! Want 16000 for it, kbb says 13,800 without the add-ons I've mentioned (except tow pkg and hydraulic lift). My mechanic is checking it out tomorrow. At 39,000 miles, this vortech is barely broken in yet!

Old 01-09-2015, 09:37 AM   #68

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Awesome! Hope the mechanic gives it a clean bill of health for you! Nov through January are always good months for car shopping.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:52 AM   #69

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Ford Escape and Scamp 13: Is Class II hitch ok?

Sounds like a good deal! I didn't know they put the 4.3 in full-size vans. It won't be a speed demon, but it should be reliable. With Carol, I hope it checks out.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:23 PM   #70

New York
Registry
Thank you so much! Yeah they put the 4.3 in the cargo. Optional 8 cylinder, too. I love this motor and I trust it. I agree; it won't get anywhere fast, but it'll pull a house down. Torquee!

Tags
escape, scamp