Ford Escape Factory Towing Package - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #15

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
There have been stories of grossly overloaded tow vehicles and insurance complications, but I think, that is not a common situation. I see large campers on half ton trucks, pulling trailers of some sort. I know that they are overloaded. I can only assume that they are occasionally involved in accidents. If insurance claims were denied for every overloaded vehicle, that would be news. Manufactures recommended tow limits are not law. They are recommendations. I am sure that some on this site think that exceeding those limits should be automatic grounds for insurance claim denial. But let's face it they’re not.
I don't know where the line is between gross negligence and simple liability. But it is possible to tow a trailer with a vehicle which has no manufacture recommended towing capacity and still be covered by your liability insurance.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #16

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Thank you, David. Our parents taught us black from white but the ability to accept the existence of grey is also useful. The rules of evidence are very relaxed here; none of us have at our fingertips the latest, most comprehensive and indisputable information about every subject; the anecdotal, impressionistic, and seat-of-the-pants opinion is given space beside the most exhaustively-supported and nuanced arguments. The price of admission to the forum is quite simply an interest in the subject matter of the forum, however mild or transitory.

We should all contribute WHEN we have something of merit to contribute. For me, it's often humbling to discover that I don't know enuf to say anything intelligent but preferable to the consequences of saying it anyway. There are members here who are very effective and patient in point by point rebuttal. They won't shoot themselves in the foot by getting angry. Grey area; caution advised!

jack

Old 03-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #17

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I don't know where the line is between gross negligence and simple liability. But it is possible to tow a trailer with a vehicle which has no manufacture recommended towing capacity and still be covered by your liability insurance.
I agree (with this and with the earlier part of David's post).

It is also possible to tow a trailer within the vehicle's towing capacity as recommended by the manufacturer and still be negligent and liable for damages. It's like a speed limit - yes, you are supposed to stay within it and exceeding it (aside from being a legal offense in itself) is evidence of negligence, but that doesn't mean it is always safe, prudent, or responsible to drive as fast as the limit.

Towing packages are mostly about drivetrain reliability, which is important, but is far from the whole story.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #18

Trailer: 13 foot Scamp
Quote:
There have been stories of grossly overloaded tow vehicles and insurance complications, but I think, that is not a common situation. I see large campers on half ton trucks, pulling trailers of some sort. I know that they are overloaded. I can only assume that they are occasionally involved in accidents. If insurance claims were denied for every overloaded vehicle, that would be news. Manufactures recommended tow limits are not law. They are recommendations. I am sure that some on this site think that exceeding those limits should be automatic grounds for insurance claim denial. But let's face it they’re not.
For the fun of it I called my insurance agent. He likes to hear from me because it usually means business. LOL.

Anyway, he said if there was a minor fender bender they would just pay it, even if some negligence was involved.

However, if it was a major accident and negligence was involved (like the owner knowing he/she grossly exceeded towing capacity or overloaded the trailer) then they would probably still pay damages. He said they might use subrogation to collect monies from the person who caused the loss, even if it is the insured person. He laughed and said just don't do it - it can be a legal mess.

I also found out from him that there are firms that specialize in RV legal cases, especially involving loss of control from swaying - who knew?

Anyway - thanks for the reply.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #19

Alberta
Registry
This has me thinking, liability insurance, isn't that insurance for when you mess up? Or am I mistaken? Is it actually insurance for when you do everything exactly as you should?
Old 03-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #20

Delaware
They pay. Your rates go up. You pay. Am I wrong folks? How bout a show of hands.

jack
Old 03-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #21

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
This has me thinking, liability insurance, isn't that insurance for when you mess up?
Exactly right, David.

Overtowing is no different from speeding, running a stop sign, crossing a centerline, falling asleep at the wheel, and on and on...All/most of which wreck-causing circumstances could be avoided if only we all used our heads 100% of the time.

But we don't- thus the need for liability insurance. Insurance companies will pay off on such claims because they must.

I guarantee that they also keep track of our stupidities, and will not hesitate to raise rates or even cancel coverage if enough of them accumulate against one's record.

And they share that info among companies, too...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I'm an 'over-tower' by the definition of some on the site, proudly so.

My 2004 Honda CRV has shown it is very capable of towing my little trailers, (Sunline 15.5, Casita 16 and Scamp 16) now in year 6. It has never had a repair, other than wear items (though it's about to get a radiator fan replaced).

We have 185,000 miles on the Honda; it's reliable and gets good mileage. It has no trouble towing our Scamp 16.

I say this so that those who are interested in the "grey" realize there are those who live successfully with smaller tow vehicles.

It is important for people to know the full range of what is possible. My experience has been excellent.

from the grey side, hopefully the grey matter side......

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #23

Alberta
Registry
I am willing to accept that if I am liable in an accident that causes my insurance company to pay out, then my rates will go up. What I have a problem with is, wondering if my insurance company will not pay because I am too liable.
We have all read stories of some guy with big mud tires and a trailer that is way too big being on the hook for the rest of his life because he was stupid, and killed some people. I just can't help but think, how is it possible that his insurance would not pay? What is the acceptable level of stupidity? What units are it measured in? Is this the "reasonable person" test?
Then there are places, like Saskatchewan, where they have "No fault" insurance. I just can't see them turning down such a claim.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I'm an 'over-tower' by the definition of some on the site, proudly so.
Yes- you've told us so many times- and I presume you're just as forthcoming with your insurance company!

I'm glad you weighed in here- it seems like you're in a better position than anyone to answer the question as to what if any effect your "overtowing" approach has on insurance coverage....what does your carrier have to say about that?

Thanks!

Francesca
Old 03-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #25

Delaware
What did Betty Davis famously say?

jack
Old 03-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #26

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Then there are places, like Saskatchewan, where they have "No fault" insurance. I just can't see them turning down such a claim.
No fault, however the payouts for personal injury claims are nothing like the size of claims in the U.S.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
What did Betty Davis famously say?

jack
"If Joan Crawford doesn't keep her mitts off Franchot Tone I'll rip her face off!!!!"

Why do you ask?

Francesca
Old 03-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #28

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Francesca,

AS I've said before my insurance company insures both our trailer and tow vehicle, my only vehicle. We do have a claim, once we were hit by another vehicle. We were stopped at the time.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape, surfside