Ford Escape Factory Towing Package - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #21

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
This has me thinking, liability insurance, isn't that insurance for when you mess up?
Exactly right, David.

Overtowing is no different from speeding, running a stop sign, crossing a centerline, falling asleep at the wheel, and on and on...All/most of which wreck-causing circumstances could be avoided if only we all used our heads 100% of the time.

But we don't- thus the need for liability insurance. Insurance companies will pay off on such claims because they must.

I guarantee that they also keep track of our stupidities, and will not hesitate to raise rates or even cancel coverage if enough of them accumulate against one's record.

And they share that info among companies, too...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I'm an 'over-tower' by the definition of some on the site, proudly so.

My 2004 Honda CRV has shown it is very capable of towing my little trailers, (Sunline 15.5, Casita 16 and Scamp 16) now in year 6. It has never had a repair, other than wear items (though it's about to get a radiator fan replaced).

We have 185,000 miles on the Honda; it's reliable and gets good mileage. It has no trouble towing our Scamp 16.

I say this so that those who are interested in the "grey" realize there are those who live successfully with smaller tow vehicles.

It is important for people to know the full range of what is possible. My experience has been excellent.

from the grey side, hopefully the grey matter side......

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #23

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I am willing to accept that if I am liable in an accident that causes my insurance company to pay out, then my rates will go up. What I have a problem with is, wondering if my insurance company will not pay because I am too liable.
We have all read stories of some guy with big mud tires and a trailer that is way too big being on the hook for the rest of his life because he was stupid, and killed some people. I just can't help but think, how is it possible that his insurance would not pay? What is the acceptable level of stupidity? What units are it measured in? Is this the "reasonable person" test?
Then there are places, like Saskatchewan, where they have "No fault" insurance. I just can't see them turning down such a claim.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I'm an 'over-tower' by the definition of some on the site, proudly so.
Yes- you've told us so many times- and I presume you're just as forthcoming with your insurance company!

I'm glad you weighed in here- it seems like you're in a better position than anyone to answer the question as to what if any effect your "overtowing" approach has on insurance coverage....what does your carrier have to say about that?

Thanks!

Francesca
Old 03-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #25

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
What did Betty Davis famously say?

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Then there are places, like Saskatchewan, where they have "No fault" insurance. I just can't see them turning down such a claim.
No fault, however the payouts for personal injury claims are nothing like the size of claims in the U.S.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
What did Betty Davis famously say?

jack
"If Joan Crawford doesn't keep her mitts off Franchot Tone I'll rip her face off!!!!"

Why do you ask?

Francesca
Old 03-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #28

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Francesca,

AS I've said before my insurance company insures both our trailer and tow vehicle, my only vehicle. We do have a claim, once we were hit by another vehicle. We were stopped at the time.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Francesca,

AS I've said before my insurance company insures both our trailer and tow vehicle, my only vehicle. We do have a claim, once we were hit by another vehicle. We were stopped at the time.
Yes, I remember- and as I recall your insurance company paid off. (Though now that I think about it I wonder why the guy that hit you didn't have to take responsibility!) My question as it relates here is as to what if any effect your long term towing over the car mfr. limits has had on your coverage/rates etc.

So many folks seem to maintain that the practice has a negative effect on insurance coverage; and since you have experience in that department I thought you could enlighten us as to whether that's a bunch of hooey or what.

Francesca
Old 03-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #30

What hasn't been factored in is how happy you will be that your insurance company paid the claim, how happy you are with the mileage you achieved, even though you are now dead.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #31

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
which really has nothing to do with the original question.. another hijacked thread
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #32

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Then there are places, like Saskatchewan, where they have "No fault" insurance.
"No fault" insurance just means that each driver's loss is covered by their own insurance company, regardless of who is at fault. Saskatchewan presumably does this since the same insurance company (almost) always covers both drivers - since they have no competition - and so it doesn't matter to their costs who is to blame... they just pay out regardless. Fault is still likely assessed, with varying consequences depending on where you are and what happened.

Google search "no fault insurance" to see this explained by various insurance companies.

Yes, liability insurance is to cover when you are liable for any sort of loss; in general coverage should only be denied if you were not following the terms of the policy, such as by letting someone drive who is not allowed. I don't think the policy is going to say you can't mess up; it sure won't say you must be following everyone's rules about everything to be covered... and I would be astounded if it said the policy is void if you don't buy the towing package for your Escape. There we go - back on topic!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #33

Name: sabina
Trailer: thinking about one
Washington
Keep the information flowing . really great to hear from all you who are knowledgeable and mechanical.. great to read the variety of opinions
sbhtennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #34

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantb View Post
which really has nothing to do with the original question.. another hijacked thread
The original "question"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfsideEd View Post
I couldn't find anywhere in my documents or online for that matter as to what my factory towing package included. Finally ended up calling the service department at my Ford dealer. I was told the factory towing package on the 2009 Escape XLT has the transmission cooler built into the Air Conditioning unit. The Escape with the Factory Towing package and the V6 e series engine is capable of towing 3500 lbs. Hope this helps anyone who may be wondering as I was, about what the towing package included. I forgot to ask about the 7 way plug though....
I negotiated such a good price on my 2003 Honda Odyssey, that the salesperson claimed that the "Towing Package" only consisted of a class II hitch receiver and a 4-pin flat tail-light cable/connector and was $400 extra.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #35

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
The original "question"

I negotiated such a good price on my 2003 Honda Odyssey, that the salesperson claimed that the "Towing Package" only consisted of a class II hitch receiver and a 4-pin flat tail-light cable/connector and was $400 extra.
Agree! If it doesn't include a brake controller and a seven pin plug, with a #10 power wire, what's the point? I'd prefer a 2" receiver anyway. If there are welders in your life, the install may only be a 24 flat away from done. The beer is definitely provided, after the install.
I looked at the tow package on the 2013 Ford Escape. $500. Is it more then a 4 pin plug and a class 2 hitch with the deletion of the foot operated hatch? I'd like to install a class 3 hitch, and try moving the sensors, or what ever. That seems like a good feature. Is a transmission cooler at least part of the tow package?
Old 03-25-2013, 11:01 PM   #36

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Agree! If it doesn't include a brake controller and a seven pin plug, with a #10 power wire, what's the point? I'd prefer a 2" receiver anyway. If there are welders in your life, the install may only be a 24 flat away from done. The beer is definitely provided, after the install.
I looked at the tow package on the 2013 Ford Escape. $500. Is it more then a 4 pin plug and a class 2 hitch with the deletion of the foot operated hatch? I'd like to install a class 3 hitch, and try moving the sensors, or what ever. That seems like a good feature. Is a transmission cooler at least part of the tow package?
... and I coped and pasted David's reply here:
Quote:
OK, sorry moderators, I am coping and pasting. I posted this in the wrong thread.

This traction control algorithm is interesting though. I wonder if it can be activated after the fact.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:21 PM   #37

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
... and I coped and pasted David's reply here:
Fred, is it possible that you have too much time on your hands?
Old 03-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #38

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
I don't doubt that claim at all. For the Sienna, Toyota - generally very directly competitive with Honda - sells a towing prep package (bigger transmission cooler, etc), and separately sells the hitch and trailer wiring as accessories. The Class 2 hitch and 4-pin wiring (with converter) were more than $400 in 2003... I think the hitch alone was more than $400 (Canadian).

It is a very good Class 2 hitch...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #39

My RAV4 V6 Sport came with the transmission cooler and heavy duty alternator as standard ( in Canada, but not the U.S. ). The "towing package" was just under $1,000 and consisted of a wiring harness and class II hitch.
I told the dealer I needed a class III. They brought in a hitch installer and in the Toyota shop, installed the Class III Hidden Hitch receiver, 7-pin wiring harness ( with a #10 ground wire ), and my brake controller for $650.

Tags
escape, surfside