Ford Escape or Jeep 3.0L Diesel - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #15

Name: Don
Trailer: '79 Boler 1700RGH
British Columbia
70 on the freeways, and for highways like the big sur it can haul you up steep hills without shifting, overheating and at a reasonable speed. It can also provide additional storage for devices and supplies to allow the towed vehicle to be packed in a more deployed state for easy camping at more locations.. regardless of the weight of fuel

and I forgot everyone loves pulling their trailer into those gas stations all the time.. my favorite.

I just drove the length of CA and no one does 55mph, or use their turn signals hah

Old 01-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
AuContraire: For at least 10 years, even before I started pulling FGRV's with my 4 cylinder GMC and 4 cylinder Honda CRV, we, and many, many of our friends drove our 4 cylinder Toyota mini-motorhomes all over California as well as the rest of the U.S. and Canada, seldom over 55 mph. (55mph = 17 mpg, 65 mph = 12 mpg) And our turn signals always worked. And what's the big deal about stopping for gas ?

Old 01-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #17

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I have a 2005 Ford Escape V6 with 3500 lb tow capacity but as I recall a much lower hitch weight capacity than one would expect given it's tow capacity.

We get ~25mpg driving at 70 mph without trailer and it still stays above 20 mpg with a scamp 13 towing at about 62 mph. It does seem to have plenty of surplus power, I have to watch it or speed will creep up toward 70 mph without me feeling a thing. Of course I think our camper weight is about half of yours.

Braking is where I "feel" that I have a trailer, really does not brake a trailer as well as I would expect given how far under tow capacity we are.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Does your Scamp have brakes? If not that may help.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #19

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Does your Scamp have brakes? If not that may help.
Nope, no brakes. When and if I replace the axle I'll go with one that has brakes. Problem is axle is not shot but it is pretty worn, enough that my down angle ain't what it used to be. I want more clearence and bigger wheels, DW not impressed by need.

My best bet that a new axle is in my future is DW wants to go to Gettysburg for a trip and I'm not going to any mountains without brakes on the trailer. Even the little ones between Mi. and Pa.

I would really enjoy towing much more with trailer brakes I'm sure.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #20

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
RogerDat,

I was once towing my son's trailer and the trailer brakes failed just as I stopped for a light. I was truly surprised by the difference in braking ability. Trailer brakes, as I'm sure you know, make a real difference.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #21

Name: Don
Trailer: '79 Boler 1700RGH
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
AuContraire: For at least 10 years, even before I started pulling FGRV's with my 4 cylinder GMC and 4 cylinder Honda CRV, we, and many, many of our friends drove our 4 cylinder Toyota mini-motorhomes all over California as well as the rest of the U.S. and Canada, seldom over 55 mph. (55mph = 17 mpg, 65 mph = 12 mpg) And our turn signals always worked. And what's the big deal about stopping for gas ?

Well that being said, no one I saw was pulling an egg..never saw a single one actually.. And everyone was a nutcase.

trying to navigate for fuel is never fun unless you pull right off the highway at the first station you find.. a tiny 4banger motor home is one thing but pulling a trailer through anywhere with people with more money than brains (and that's saying something in a recession).. well that's not fun..

Not to mention that every station in the US seems to ask for a zip code at the pump when you pay with a credit card so you have to wait in line twice instead of never to get fuel..

All i'm saying is that the low RPM torque, fuel economy and long range are huge benefits in my books when it comes to an enjoyable long range drive pulling weight. Any distance on an interstate highway you are going to be doing 70mph because there is nothing but mega farms to see.. and on small windy hilly roads you need the torque to be able to enjoy the drive..

Yes, maintaining a diesel vehicle and initial purchase of the diesel vehicle might be higher but the ENJOYMENT of driving one, at least in my books, outweighs those costs.. If you RV close to home all the time who cares.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #22

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
There will be a new diesel option available in the US this spring. The 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee is being announced Monday at the Detroit Auto Show and goes into production late January. JGCs (all are built in Detroit) have been sold in Europe and Australia with an Italian diesel since the current model launched in 2011. This is not the same as the Mercedes diesel used by Jeep in 2007 and 8 models. Also the 2014s will come with a new 8 speed auto trans that will improve both acceleration and mpg.

Pricing has not been announced yet but the diesel and V8 are the same price in Europe, if that holds true here the diesel would be no more than $2000 over the base 6 cyl gas engine.

Gas 6 cyl gets 17/25 in either 2 or 4 wheel drive. Tow rating is 6200 pounds.
Diesel gets 21/30 2 whl drive, 21/28 4 whl drive. Tow rating is 7200 pounds.

From what I read on the Jeep Garage forum, scheduled maintenance on the diesel is about the same cost as for the gas engine. Oil change for European cars is 12,000 miles or one year.

Using EPA combined ratings, the fuel cost for the 2 WD diesel is less than the gas v6 as long as diesel is less than $0.75 more expensive than gasoline. Over the last two years the US average is about a $0.40 premium for diesel. At 15,000 miles per year and a $0.40 price delta, the diesel saves about $200 per year, certainly not enough to justify a $2000 purchase premium but factor in the higher tow rating and better acceleration the diesel's torque provides makes it pretty tempting. Another interesting data point is that on fuelly.org diesel JGC owners report getting 11% better than EPA combined mileage while gas JGC owners report 4% less than EPA combined.

A Jeep Grand Cherokee is a little bigger than most of the tow vehicles discussed here but a lightly optioned Laredo is not much more expensive than a top of the line CRV or RAV4.

I'm towing a Snoozy that weighs around 3000# with 390# on the tongue with a 2007 V6 RAV4. It accelerates fine but gets lousy mileage, only about 15 mpg even driving a steady 60 mph. We are about at the limit of the RAV's capacity (actually over on tongue load) and I'd like to have some headroom plus we can then get a bigger trailer when the grand kids are old enough to go camping without upgrading our tow vehicle again. A new JGC is looking mighty good
Old 01-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #23

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
McDenny
I was wondering why your Snoozy tongue was so heavy. Is that by choice or design.

I assume you have no propane tanks or WD hitch on the tongue

As to a diesel, our goal is something in the 4 cylinder, 2 liter range delivering 40 mpg like Honda's 4400 lb towing capacity European CRV.

Other than that it's tough to give up our gas powered tow vehicle and 22 mpg.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #24

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
price difference

[QUOTE=MCDenny;355530]

Over the last two years the US average is about a $0.40 premium for diesel.

I was looking at the 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup which is scheduled to have a diesel engine as an option but the fuel costs have me worried. I filled up my truck last Friday and mid grade gas was $2.93 / Gal and diesel was $4.09/Gal . Where does one find diesel at only a $0.40 cents/ gal difference?
In my area the difference has remained about a buck/Gal for quite a while.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #25
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
[QUOTE=steve dunham;355571]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDenny View Post
I filled up my truck last Friday and mid grade gas was $2.93 / Gal and diesel was $4.09/Gal . Where does one find diesel at only a $0.40 cents/ gal difference? .
Here in central Vermont where gas is pushing $3.60/gal
Old 01-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #26

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
You will still have some squat with the JGC and 400# tongue weight as the Cherokee suspension is somewhat softer. Pulling is not an issue with the new diesel but you will probably need a w/d setup if over 3500# for the squat to disappear.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #27

Michigan
The $0.40 is the average over the whole country and two years. In the last 6 months in Michigan I've seen diesel the same price as regular and diesel $0.90 more than regular. Here in Fl now it is around $0.45 more.

The Grand Cherokee tow package includes a rear leveling suspension, basically automatic air shocks. I expect it will take out most of the squat.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #28

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
McDenny
I was wondering why your Snoozy tongue was so heavy. Is that by choice or design.

I assume you have no propane tanks or WD hitch on the tongue
No propane or WD hitch. There are two Trojan T105 batteries in the tongue box and two 8" thick memory foam mattresses forward of the axle inside. Plus misc?? It sure adds up.

Snoozy factory says new empty trailers ( mine, #127, has an old heavier frame design) have about 200# tongue wt.