Ford Escape or Jeep 3.0L Diesel - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #29

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
After 4 diesel powered Dodge trucks, I now have a gas Chevy Silverado. It has a 5.3 liter engine and gets the same or slightly better non-towing highway mpg as the last diesel. Towing the same trailer at the same speeds over the same territory, the gas Chevy has about a 2 mpg penalty as compared to the last diesel. In my case, towing our Egg Camper with a diesel truck would be overkill. I can tell you that diesel repairs are pricey (learned the hard way) and the diesel oil changes cost me more that twice as much as with the Chevy. All that said, sometimes the diesel puller is the only thing that makes sense. In our case, the gas Chevy was a good move and, with 4x4, the Chevy ride is WAY Better that any of our 4x4 Dodges. With my wife's back, that's a major consideration.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #30

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDenny View Post

I'm towing a Snoozy that weighs around 3000# with 390# on the tongue

Sounds like somebody actually weighed a Lil Snoozy!
This is something we've all been SO curious about- especially the tongue weight number.

Those numbers sound realistic to me, but I'd sure like to hear more about how it was loaded when weighed...

Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #31

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
MCdenny,
the Grand Cherokee 3.0L EcoDiesel V6 engine in now up on their site. Looks to be up to 7400 towing , just scroll half way down. The Build and Price at top right of the page in not Live yet, It kicks me over to the 2013 not 2014, I'm Curious about the price.

Anyone know if the Quadra-Lift air suspension will self level on the 4x4 model when you hook up a trailer?

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee| Fuel Efficient Luxury SUV | Jeep
Old 01-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #32

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

Sounds like somebody actually weighed a Lil Snoozy!
This is something we've all been SO curious about- especially the tongue weight number.

Those numbers sound realistic to me, but I'd sure like to hear more about how it was loaded when weighed...

Francesca
When I weighed it we had just come back from our first ever camping trip and had taken clothes, food, etc out. Grey and fresh water tanks were empty. I put the trailer axle on the truck scale and recorded 2450#. I used a combination of a 325# "fish" scale and a bathroom scale and got 390# on the very tip of the coupler.

I'd like to weigh it again now that we are living in it pretty much full time. Tongue weight was only 250# with just the batteries added but none of the other parts.

A stock Snoozy has a light mattress in the front and a smallish (40# ?) battery under the mattress.

I put 130# of batteries in the tongue box, a case of propane cylinders, 60' of hose, the 30a 25' power cord and some misc junk. We also have a 30# mattress up front and another between that and the axle. Battery charger and converter under the front bed. A couple of folding chairs and an 10x12 screen stored under the bed.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #33

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
MCdenny,
the Grand Cherokee 3.0L EcoDiesel V6 engine in now up on their site. Looks to be up to 7400 towing , just scroll half way down. The Build and Price at top right of the page in not Live yet, It kicks me over to the 2013 not 2014, I'm Curious about the price.

Anyone know if the Quadra-Lift air suspension will self level on the 4x4 model when you hook up a trailer?

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee| Fuel Efficient Luxury SUV | Jeep
Ken, I saw the 'official' press release and about a hundred pictures go live on the Internet about 9:00 PM EST Sunday night. The official public unveiling was at the Detroit Auto Show this morning.

I'm curious about the price too. Jeep has revised their pricing quite a bit with the 2014s, making a lot of stuff including the Diesel engine unavailable on the Laredo and making a lot of formerly standard equipment on the Limited optional.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #34

Michigan
Yikes, it's an extra $4500 for the diesel!
Old 01-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #35

US
The build and price is still out for me. Jeep Garage says $4500 But that price point would chomp chomp my budget. I need a good tears streaming cry icon here.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #36

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
If I was buying new again, that Jeep with the diesel would be getting strong consideration from me.

Alas, just dreaming for me, as my Pilot works just fine, is paid for, and I would really have to buck up some serious coin for the upgrade.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #37

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
$4500 option price and only in higher trims? They're not trying very hard to gain my business. Guess I'll wait for someone to offer a reasonably priced diesel. Or if no one does, well, my gasser is still doing the job.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #38

US
fuelly.org thanks Mcdenny, nice site to look over while shopping for a new tow vehicle.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #39

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
$4500 option is steep. But I just can't sell myself on the Escape with front wheel drive. Since the most extreme off roading I do is a dirt or gravel road, I'm strictly a two wheel drive kind of person. Can't get used to the thought of having the front wheels doing everything. Also, I am strictly a rear wheel drive person. Old habits are hard for me to break. I come from an era where only Saabs, Lancias, and Audis had front wheel drive. Gosh, my choices in a vehicle have certainly narrowed. Did I mention I'm a manual transmission and windup window kind of person also? I don't need to have a blue tooth, I don't even know what it is.
Too bad the Escape is a front driver.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #40

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
$4500 option is steep. But I just can't sell myself on the Escape with front wheel drive. Since the most extreme off roading I do is a dirt or gravel road, I'm strictly a two wheel drive kind of person. Can't get used to the thought of having the front wheels doing everything. Also, I am strictly a rear wheel drive person. Old habits are hard for me to break. I come from an era where only Saabs, Lancias, and Audis had front wheel drive. Gosh, my choices in a vehicle have certainly narrowed. Did I mention I'm a manual transmission and windup window kind of person also? I don't need to have a blue tooth, I don't even know what it is.
Too bad the Escape is a front driver.

If only they still made the AMC Pacer.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #41

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
You know, I liked the PACER. Especially with the 258 cui engine. Too bad it didn't have a 5 spd. on the floor instead of the 3 on a tree.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #42

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
You know, I liked the PACER. Especially with the 258 cui engine. Too bad it didn't have a 5 spd. on the floor instead of the 3 on a tree.
Picky, picky, picky..........