Ford Escape or Mazda Tribute? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2009, 12:21 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
Registry
It seems that the V6 Ford Escape and Mazda Tribute are about the least expensive tugs with 3500 pound towing capacity. Are there any significant differences? Are they made on the same assembly lines?

Ron
Vancouver, BC
Ron Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
I think it is only look and feel that is different, the power train was the same in 2008, not sure about the new ones since Ford changed the transmission.
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:19 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Are they made on the same assembly lines?

Ron
Vancouver, BC
They are off the same assmbly line in the Ford plant in Kansas - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City_Assembly

I'm not sure the engine/transmissions are the exact same.

The Lemonaid guide says that people rate the Tribute as giving them less troubles. Your millage may vary.

regards,
Edmond
Edmond Duggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
the least expensive tugs with 3500 pound towing capacity.
I would check for reliability and maintenance expenses too. To me, higher initial cost often means lower cost in the long run... One way around this, in my opinion, is to consider slightly used, and perhaps invest $6 in a one-month Consumer Reports subscription.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:51 PM   #5

Trailer: Former 1978 Trillium 4500 owner (now 2010 R-pod)
The Escape and Tribute are exactly the same, with only minor styling differnces. The U.S. also had the Mercury Mariner which is also identical.

My 07 Escape tows our 1800 lb Trillium 4500 just fine. I have the 3.0 litre V6 with factory tow package. I get about 25 mpg (imperial) in daily use and about 20 mpg towing the trailer. It's been as reliable as the Toyota and Honda I've had before. The only thing that annoys me is that the vehicle (like all SUV's) is not holding its value. I'm not sure what to do when the lease comes due in November and its not worth its buyback. I'm thinking of either just absorbing the loss and buying it out - after all it is a 60 or 65,000 km 3 year old car that has been driven gently and been well looked after, or turining it back in and getting a 4 cylinder Toyota Venza.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Consumers Reports says they are the same vehicle. Reliability ratings are also the same. For small pickups they are right in the middle of the ratings. The best are Ridgeline, Tacoma, Frontier. Then the Ford and Mazda are listed. The bottom of the list is Colorado, Canyon, Explorer Sport Trac, and Dakota.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Man, I'm getting old. I looked at the wrong chart, small pickups rather than small SUVs. The Escape - Mariner - Tribute V6 FWD models are in 8th place and the V6 AWD are in 14th place of 25 models. The list in order of best to worst reliability is Element, FJ, RAV4, CRV, Tucson 4, Sportage, Rogue, Escape 6 FWD, Outlander, Tucson 6, Patriot, Escape 4, Xterra, Escape 6 AWD, Forester, Equinox, Sorento, Torrent, Liberty 6, Vue 4 FWD, Grand Vitera, Wrangler, XL7, Nitro, Vue 6 AWD.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:16 PM   #8

Registry
Tom, I just shook my head when you listed those pickups. But the new list you provided is very useful. Thank you.

Ron
Old 06-10-2009, 08:32 PM   #9

Registry
Test drove a new Escape. Drove like a truck - vague steering. Uncomfortable seats, too.

Test drove a RAV4. Drove like a car. Better (not great) seats. Much better reviews. Decent deal. Bought it.

Still seven weeks before I get my trailer, though. Can't wait.

Thank you for the feedback.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
When we went shopping for an SUV in 2002 we tried the Escape and RAV 4. I liked the RAV 4, but it didn't have hardly any towing capacity at the time, and we just plain didn't like the Escape at all. Sat in it for a short bit and didn't even take it for a test drive. Wound up getting a Hyundai Santa Fe, which we still have and still like.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I thought they were built in Hermosillo, Sonora
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:53 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Man, I'm getting old. I looked at the wrong chart, small pickups rather than small SUVs. The Escape - Mariner - Tribute V6 FWD models are in 8th place and the V6 AWD are in 14th place of 25 models. The list in order of best to worst reliability is Element, FJ, RAV4, CRV, Tucson 4, Sportage, Rogue, Escape 6 FWD, Outlander, Tucson 6, Patriot, Escape 4, Xterra, Escape 6 AWD, Forester, Equinox, Sorento, Torrent, Liberty 6, Vue 4 FWD, Grand Vitera, Wrangler, XL7, Nitro, Vue 6 AWD.

If you ever get to the point that you think you need Consumer Reports to inform your next purchase, then It is time to find a knowlegeable person to advise you, or just buy what you like the looks of.
Consumer reports is clearly and extremely biased and can be trusted even less than the average automotive magazine.
The good news is... buying the one you like the best at least makes the maintenance costs more palatable and increases the possibility of keeping it longer, thereby reducing replacement costs.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape