Ford Ranger I-4 2.3 liter towing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2014, 09:30 PM   #1

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Ford Ranger I-4 2.3 liter towing

Has anyone ever towed a 13' trailer with a 4 cylinder Ford Ranger? I have a 2008 automatic transmission Ranger and wanted to buy a 13' Scamp or Casita Patriot with a bath package but, I am wondering if anyone has towed with one. I don't plan on going over 60mph.
I looked up the tow ratings and found out that the Ranger has a max tow rating of 2240 pounds. It has 143 hp @ 5,250 rpm and 154 ft lbs. The displacement is 140 cu in or 2260 cc. I plan to put in a transmission oil cooler.
Would it be able to handle a 13' camper or should I scrap the idea. I really don't want to buy another TV since my Ranger only has 12,000 miles.
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
What you propose would be a near perfect match, you will be surprised by the excellent fuel economy as well.
I have owned several Rangers and towed extensively with each of them.
It is a great platform for this application.
Your Ranger has a 3:73 gear which will allow it to pull well off the line and allow it to easily maintain good acceleration up to the cruising speed which you require without strain.

I presently tow a 13D Scamp with a Ford Escape with that same 2.3L engine. It has done remarkably well for seven years so far.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:22 PM   #3

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I've loaned my Trillium to some friends several times and they tow it with a Ranger that I think is identical to yours, though it might be off by a year or so. They report no problems at all- and my trailer is probably 500 pounds heavier than the 13ers you're contemplating. I say go for it!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:35 PM   #4

Texas
Good to hear Floyd and thanks Francesca. We really don't use the truck a whole lot. We have a car the wife and I use around town and to travel. The truck only has 12,000 miles but, I think that will change real soon. I'm going to be on the lookout for a 13' Casita Patriot since I live in Texas and they're built around here. I like the Scamp but, they seem to be sold only in the northern states. I hope to cross campfires with you someday and invite both of you to a grilled steak dinner.
Marky
Old 05-20-2014, 05:45 PM   #5
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Marky, what car is your wife driving?
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:08 PM   #6

Texas
Toyota Prius! It can tow a little red wagon (downhill)! Lol
Old 05-20-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
MC1

Ontario
No doubt...LOL

Interesting the Ranger weighs about 3,500lbs and has 140HP which works out to 25lbs per 1HP

The Prius weighs 3,100lbs and has 134HP and is 23LBs per 1 HP

Sure the Prius has more power related to weight but the problem when traveling is where would you put the grill and fire wood??? Best to stick with the pick up idea.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
No doubt...LOL

Interesting the Ranger weighs about 3,500lbs and has 140HP which works out to 25lbs per 1HP

Sure the Prius has more power related to weight but the problem when traveling is where would you put the grill and fire wood??? Best to stick with the pick up idea.
Yeah, but there's so much more to it than weight and power ratio. There's the hitch attachment strength, the brakes, the gearing, the cooling, and more. One would have to just about be an automotive engineer to make a thorough assessment of the Prius' tow capabilities.

I think the Ranger is built a little more hardy for such work. It should do well.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez View Post
I looked up the tow ratings and found out that the Ranger has a max tow rating of 2240 pounds.
Is that what it says in the manual for your Ranger with your options?

This thread will give you an idea of what weights to expect for various trailers loaded for camping. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:13 PM   #10

Texas
I was just about to order a hitch and a weight distribution hitch made for aluminum unibodies! Lol
I got the Ranger specs from the owners manual.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:22 PM   #11

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
OK then Marky.
My manual had 4 or so pages of listings for different tow ratings. Also mentioned maximum frontal area of trailer. If the trailer you are looking at matches then OK.

My experience is the Ranger is light on the rear, brakes are lacking somewhat. Adding a brake controller to your Ranger and brakes to the trailer will go a long way.

I've got the 4.0l V6, hills are noticable towing the boler.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #12

Texas
There are several pages in my manual about towing. I put the manual back in the glove box so I don't remember exactly how many. The 13' FGRV are not flat on the front but rounded and are not that wide. I plan on towing at about 55mph. I do plan on taking the slow lane on hills so that would not be a problem with me. Since there are several owners who have already done this I feel confident my Ranger can pull a 13' FGRV.
I will be installing a brake controller. I'm doing some research on them but I can't seem to find if there is an adapter for the harness or if I'm going to have to wire in the brake controller.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:30 PM   #13

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez View Post
I was just about to order a hitch and a weight distribution hitch made for aluminum unibodies! Lol
I got the Ranger specs from the owners manual.

Is the Ranger body on frame, or unibody?
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:30 PM   #14

Texas
It has a frame.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:38 AM   #15
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Yeah, but there's so much more to it than weight and power ratio. There's the hitch attachment strength, the brakes, the gearing, the cooling, and more. One would have to just about be an automotive engineer to make a thorough assessment of the Prius' tow capabilities.
Agree on all counts Mike. Also include aerodynamic differences and 60 to 0 braking/panic stops.
Apparently the Prius does the 60 to 0 panic stop in 129'.
The Ranger does it in 164' (and a whopping 204' when at it's payload rating of 1,300 lbs).
Ranger specs.... 2002 Ford Ranger Fx4 Review - Four Wheeler Magazine

Regarding the full frame.... Ranger forums are full of discussions regarding bent frames. Not cool.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:21 AM   #16

Texas
I question the bent frames. I know the frames didn't bend because they were carrying things within the weight limits of the truck. There are some people who buy a Ranger and think they have a one ton truck. Most people don't even know if they have a four or an eight cylinder in their car, much less carrying capacities. The Ranger is a "light truck." I've seen the trucks you're talking about carrying tile, bricks, or dirt.
I've seen a lot of trucks with their bumper pulled down because they hitched a trailer that exceeded the bumper weight limit. I would not judge the integrity of a truck based on something like that.
What I am proposing to do is tow a trailer with a tong weight that is way below its limit. There are cars with unibodies that tow 13' trailers. As a matter of fact Scamp advertises their 5th wheel being towed by a Ranger!
Old 05-21-2014, 10:58 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
No doubt...LOL

Actually his Ranger weighs about 2900#.
Which makes that about 20# per HP .
Mine weighs 3400#, but it has a 4.0L , Edge chassis, 8.8" differential, and big brakes and clutch.
Oddly enough the 2.3L engine was rated at 154HP in the Escape.

The Prius(82 total ft-lb) has more than 37# to pull for every ft-lb of torque.
That is almost twice the load experienced by the Ranger(154 total ft-lb) at just under 19# to pull for each ft-lb of torque, delivered through a truck chassis, designed and geared for hauling cargo and pulling loads.

The Prius is an overweight subcompact on a chassis designed and geared for fuel economy and hauling people, its only cargo expected to consist of a bag of groceries and a built-in quarter ton of Smug.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #18
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

The Prius is an overweight subcompact on a chassis designed and geared for fuel economy and hauling people, its only cargo expected to consist of a bag of groceries and a built-in quarter ton of Smug.
Many would beg to differ. They seem to work well for towing an egg.
Attached Thumbnails
priuss.jpg  
Old 05-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #19

Registry
Quote:

Regarding the full frame.... Ranger forums are full of discussions regarding bent frames. Not cool.
Scamp used a late '90s 3.0L Ranger to deliver 5ers all over the country for years. Last I looked they still had it but now they also have a late model Ranger added to the fleet a couple years ago.
I have personally owned 6 Rangers in my family and had dozens more in fleet service. IMHO it is hands down the best small truck ever made.
My present Ranger is approaching 14 years of hard service and will still turn more heads and stand strong along side any comparable new or old Whathaveya.

I doubt anyone is going off-roading with a 13Scamp behind them,but
Stupidity can break an anvil with a rubber mallet, I have shaken my head amazed to witness that fact many times over my years in fleet maintenance.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:24 AM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Many would beg to differ. They seem to work well for towing an egg.
Maybe even a dozen(with the right carton)!
look here... 360CC of raw power delivered with every stroke! Almost 25HP from 21CID!
When I threatened to actually hook it up...It "begged to differ!"

But seriously, your example just goes to reinforce the practicality of the Ranger for this application.
I have actually seen the Prius/Egg combo a couple of times before, and my comment is not meant to question your judgment.
Attached Thumbnails
suBARu 013.jpg