Ford Transit Connect Van? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-13-2015, 01:48 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Posts: 217
check out where they are made....

this is from Wikipedia:

"The Transit Connect was assembled by Otosan in an all-new production facility at Gölcük, near Kocaeli, Turkey. After September 2009, additional production began in Craiova, Romania.[3]"


I like Turkish taffy but don't think I want a car made there.

Ditto Romania. Probably not far from Serbia or Croatia, the people that brought us the Yugo.

The Yugo is famous here in Michigan as one of them blew off the Mackinac Bridge some years ago.
__________________

__________________
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:05 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
The Yugo was also featured in the 1980 Danny DiVito/Bette Midler movie Drowning Mona and the NY School of Design sponsored a touring show called something like "What to do with a Used Yugo", that was toured with national autoshows. They made them into everything from a Confessional to a Grand Piano, to a Hunting Lodge Fireplace. At least they had some value in their after-lives. LOL
__________________

__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:41 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Name: lee
Trailer: trailswest campsterl, 1996 Scamp 16 foot
Idaho
Posts: 410
The rant, back in the day , was if purchasing a Yugo be sure to get one with the rear window defroster... keeps your hands warm when pushing it ( if working ). Lee
__________________
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:25 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
Also sez that they are assembled in Spain:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Transit_Connect


Not that that is a whole lot better answer.....
__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:50 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Name: Henry
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Posts: 188
Buy with towing package

Whatever you get for towing, please consider buying the towing package, if it is offered. This usually includes a transmission cooler and larger brakes among other things.

Living in TN, some of our hills are rather steep with switchback: It is one thing to go up the hill, quite another going DOWN the hill. I have encountered brake fade a number of times driving in both the East and West: Brake fade while locked in first gear, that is (using vehicles with manual and auto transmissions).

In Idaho, I drove a small pickup (two wheel drive) on a gravel road so steep that the truck could not continue to go forward. I had to back down the mountain. Rock face on one side, sheer drop off on the other; as a result I may be a bit overly sensitive about such things, however.
__________________
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:58 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Posts: 592
Dummy me ! I thought Ford was an American company....seems Toyota makes more vehicles in the U.S.A. than ford and GM !!!

If buying a vehicle made in Turkey and assembled in Spain concerns you keep in mind that GM loves to make them in Mexico, while Volkswagen also uses Mexican plants to make their cars. All this might explain our unemployment problem...Mexicans on both sides of the border are taking our jobs!!!
(not a political statement...just a fact).
__________________
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:16 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,050
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john madill View Post
this is from Wikipedia:

"The Transit Connect was assembled by Otosan in an all-new production facility at Gölcük, near Kocaeli, Turkey. After September 2009, additional production began in Craiova, Romania.[3]"


I like Turkish taffy but don't think I want a car made there.

Ditto Romania. Probably not far from Serbia or Croatia, the people that brought us the Yugo.

The Yugo is famous here in Michigan as one of them blew off the Mackinac Bridge some years ago.
That was the first Gen. I understand the second Gen is made in Spain the two are not the same vehicle and share only the name. Guess they are just doing work Americans won't do?
The Yugo was basic and looked like a minitruck without a box, but it was reliable and amazingly fast.
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:28 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,050
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Dummy me ! I thought Ford was an American company....seems Toyota makes more vehicles in the U.S.A. than ford and GM !!!
.
So you thought. Did you know that the Model "T" was built worldwide for local markets?
Assembled in Germany, Argentina,France, Spain, Denmark, Norway, Belgium, Brazil, Mexico, and yes even Japan, as well as several locations throughout the US.
U.S. production hardly explains Toyota's ersatz superiority since it used to be due to it's being "Made in Japan"
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:19 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
At least as late as 2012, the top selling luxury car in China was... Buick.
A few years back they were selling more Buicks in China than in the U.S. Part of the reason they got rid of Oldsmobile and Pontiac. to sell more Buicks.


I don't think that there was a single year between about 1975 and 1995 when Japanese, German and Swedish car quality didn't made American car quality look like a combination of Lego Blocks and Tinkertoys. And that, plus overpaid workers, is what killed the American car market.
__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:42 PM   #24
Member
 
eagle of flight's Avatar
 
Name: joe
Trailer: burro 1982
Tennessee
Posts: 76
You will Never see 29 mpg. Unless you drive the flats in Florida and stay below 55. I have one in Tennessee. Towing my 1000 pound burro up a slight hill is terribly slow. I am trying to sell it now. To be honest, it wouldn't pull a greased string out of a hogs butt.
__________________
Chiefonelung
eagle of flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:52 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,050
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
At least as late as 2012, the top selling luxury car in China was... Buick.
A few years back they were selling more Buicks in China than in the U.S. Part of the reason they got rid of Oldsmobile and Pontiac. to sell more Buicks.


I don't think that there was a single year between about 1975 and 1995 when Japanese, German and Swedish car quality didn't made American car quality look like a combination of Lego Blocks and Tinkertoys. And that, plus overpaid workers, is what killed the American car market.
Ive been turning wrenches since I could look over the fender and I can't disagree more. Happy to compare my American cars from that era with any of their contemporaries from off shore. I have never owned anything as dismal as my PL620 for quality. I guess its just a matter of knowing what to buy.
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:01 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,050
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle of flight View Post
You will Never see 29 mpg. Unless you drive the flats in Florida and stay below 55. I have one in Tennessee. Towing my 1000 pound burro up a slight hill is terribly slow. I am trying to sell it now. To be honest, it wouldn't pull a greased string out of a hogs butt.
Have to take your word for it, but if he was clenching maybe you could bring home the bacon.
I assume its first generation. My son is looking for one, its kinda far but he might give you a call. PM me with the details if you like.
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:03 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Ive been turning wrenches since I could look over the fender and I can't disagree more. Happy to compare my American cars from that era with any of their contemporaries from off shore. I have never owned anything as dismal as my PL620 for quality. I guess its just a matter of knowing what to buy.
What's a PL 620?
__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:30 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,050
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
What's a PL 620?
__________________

__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford Transit 2.2l Diesel honda03842 Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 82 07-17-2012 07:13 AM
CA | SOLD: 1978 Van Mate fiberglass pop up Travel trailer , 1978 Van Mate , Beyond RARE Bob Guilliams Classified Archives 12 03-15-2012 08:44 PM
How to secure appliances in place for transit? lespnd Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 12 07-17-2011 07:25 PM
7" LED Stop/Turn/Tail Transit Light Alan Ursacki General Chat 0 11-02-2010 07:14 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.