Ford Transit Connect Van? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-14-2015, 04:59 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Posts: 580
I've heard tradesmen who drive them daily for work say the brakes were under-engineered on the first generation - always having one problem or another with the brakes. That doesn't bode well for going downhill with a trailer pushing you from behind. Maybe pulling a trailer with brakes would actually help that deficiency. I also heard that Ford first offered these in Great Britain with a small diesel engine and 6-speed manual transmission, good power and fuel economy for their driving needs, but Ford didn't believe the American consumer would like either of those options when they brought it over here. Not sure of that, but I don't doubt it.

Rather than use one as a tow vehicle for a camper, I'm more intrigued with the idea of converting one into a little self-contained "stealth camper" - fitting it with a light-weight cot, sleeping bag, cooler, small butane camp stove, etc., - then using it to towing a light-weight jon boat for weekend fishing trips. If I can find a "good" used one for the right price some day, I might just give it a whirl...
__________________

__________________
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:03 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
Yep, it's all in knowing what to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Ive been turning wrenches since I could look over the fender and I can't disagree more. Happy to compare my American cars from that era with any of their contemporaries from off shore. I have never owned anything as dismal as my PL620 for quality. I guess its just a matter of knowing what to buy.
Without exception I was please with a number of Volvos I had during the years mentioned. Reliable, easy to drive and, at least back then, they had good dealer and parts support.

Sorry you had bad luck with the PL620 though

My ex in Chelan, WA bought a Nissan hard body 4x4 new in 1994
and has been driving it in the Cascades for over 21 years now.

Total repairs, other than routine maintenance items; drive shaft center support, speedometer head and a small plug-in relay in the starter circuit. Less than $30/year parts and labor. We drove it into Canada last year and it feels as tight as one could want and everything still works, even the cassette player (LOL)_ I guess she knew what to buy as well...
__________________

__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:52 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Posts: 592
My trip down memory lane when it comes to gasoline powered transportation says a lot about where the quality can be found.

Prior to my 4 years in the Air Force including about 3 years in Southeast Asia, Vietnam and the Phillipines I drove used American ....1957 Chevy to start, then a 1960 Chevy followed by a 1963 Chevy ...then a 1964 Ford I bought off the FBI that one did not last long and I replaced it with a 1963 Cadillac I found on a repo-sales yard real cheap. All these has one thing in common...they we a mechnic's dream...break down after break down...typical American made garbage typical for the era.....then off to Southeast Asia where I drove a Honda motorcycle I got for $125 used....best and cheapest transportation ever...it ran trouble free for several years in the Phillippines and I sold it when I returned to the U.S. For $125.
In Vietnem I rode in a C-130 or a open jeep provided by my employer!

Next chapter in personal transportation put me in "company cars" if they did break down I did not own them and they were replaced every two years with American made vehicles. My wife and I started with a used Volkswagen bug for our second car (I had unlimited use of company cars for 22 years). The bug blew its engine in about a year. Then a 1970 Toyota Carolla...new for $1795...loved it! It ran trouble free until we got into trailer camping and replaced it with a new 1985 Jeep Cherokee, straight six cylinder 4.0 Ltr auto with tow package (American Motors vintage). It towed our 24 ft Sunline trailer all over the country no problems. We replaced it after many years with another with the same specifications....this one was made under Chrysler Motors and that is when the problems started.....we ended up on a first name basis with the service department while it was under warranty...something failed just about every month. We then tried a Ford Explorer and that one wasn't any better than the Jeep...sold it and went to Toyota...since then the only thing we would ever consider is from Toyota....Tacoma pickups.....Tundra pickup....and now our current Toyota FJ Cruiser, V6, 4.0 Ltr automatic...all for towing. my wife drives a Toyota Carolla.

Since returning to Toyota we have put up to 250,000 miles on a few of our Toyotas....having owned a total of 6 Toyota products I can Honestly say the only thing they ever needed was routine maintenance, tires and gasoline.

If you look up dependable in the dictionary it should read: TOYOTA.

Sad fact is American auto/truck makers have failed to reach the level of quality that Toyota and a few other Japanese makers have attained. Now most of the Toyota and Honda cars and trucks are made in this country and the quality is still maintained.

Buy what you wish but I'll stick with a winner.
__________________
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:37 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,048
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
My trip down memory lane when it comes to gasoline powered transportation says a lot about where the quality can be found.

Prior to my 4 years in the Air Force including about 3 years in Southeast Asia, Vietnam and the Phillipines I drove used American ....1957 Chevy to start, then a 1960 Chevy followed by a 1963 Chevy ...then a 1964 Ford I bought off the FBI that one did not last long and I replaced it with a 1963 Cadillac I found on a repo-sales yard real cheap. All these has one thing in common...they we a mechnic's dream...break down after break down...typical American made garbage typical for the era.....then off to Southeast Asia where I drove a Honda motorcycle I got for $125 used....best and cheapest transportation ever...it ran trouble free for several years in the Phillippines and I sold it when I returned to the U.S. For $125.
In Vietnem I rode in a C-130 or a open jeep provided by my employer!

Next chapter in personal transportation put me in "company cars" if they did break down I did not own them and they were replaced every two years with American made vehicles. My wife and I started with a used Volkswagen bug for our second car (I had unlimited use of company cars for 22 years). The bug blew its engine in about a year. Then a 1970 Toyota Carolla...new for $1795...loved it! It ran trouble free until we got into trailer camping and replaced it with a new 1985 Jeep Cherokee, straight six cylinder 4.0 Ltr auto with tow package (American Motors vintage). It towed our 24 ft Sunline trailer all over the country no problems. We replaced it after many years with another with the same specifications....this one was made under Chrysler Motors and that is when the problems started.....we ended up on a first name basis with the service department while it was under warranty...something failed just about every month. We then tried a Ford Explorer and that one wasn't any better than the Jeep...sold it and went to Toyota...since then the only thing we would ever consider is from Toyota....Tacoma pickups.....Tundra pickup....and now our current Toyota FJ Cruiser, V6, 4.0 Ltr automatic...all for towing. my wife drives a Toyota Carolla.

Since returning to Toyota we have put up to 250,000 miles on a few of our Toyotas....having owned a total of 6 Toyota products I can Honestly say the only thing they ever needed was routine maintenance, tires and gasoline.

If you look up dependable in the dictionary it should read: TOYOTA.

Sad fact is American auto/truck makers have failed to reach the level of quality that Toyota and a few other Japanese makers have attained. Now most of the Toyota and Honda cars and trucks are made in this country and the quality is still maintained.

Buy what you wish but I'll stick with a winner.
If you look up "three handed ambidextrous contortionist" it should read " TOYOTA MECHANIC"
Happy to compare service records with my Fords anytime, not to mention initial purchase prices!
Buy what you wish but don't forget a good pair of shoes and a cellphone!

BTW... If its a "winner" how come their best effort comes with a big "L" in the grille?

__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:53 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Posts: 592
Seems I hit a nerve in the "I love my Ford Club".

I'm sure your Ford has served you well...my service records are simple:
change oil, filter and lube...repeat....new tires as required.

My Ford records: change oil and filter, change transmission etc., etc...sell Ford.
__________________
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:00 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
And I guess Lincoln is afraid to make that suggestion with a "L" in their grill ????? Looks like that other "L" word has kicked the "F" version in the pant in sales.


BTW: Lexus motors out of wrecked cars are cheep, even cheaper than a smaller Toyota motor. why, because they never wear out and no one is looking for a used ones. Most yards don't even bother keeping more than a couple on hand.


No one ever guessed that an upstart Japanese car would enter the luxury market and steal sales from Lincoln, Cadillac, Mercedes etc. but they did. Are all those Lexus owners wrong????


In 2014 Lincoln reported selling 94,474 vehicles, over 50% were Navigators
In 2014 Lexus sold 310,389 vehicles in the United States.
__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:27 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
The Minimalist's Avatar
 
Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Posts: 724
Registry
RE Yugo:

The Yugo was a Yugoslavian produced Fiat 128, which itself was not much to brag about.
__________________
Clif
The Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:10 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
Hey, don't bad mouth the Yugo, someone on here sez that they are both fast and reliable..... and if I ever find one that still runs, I'll check that out...and they starred in a major movie, Drowning Mona..... And U.S. Importer Malcolm Bricklin, he of the Bricklin SV1, wouldn't be satisfied until he had forced every American to walk to work.


In praise of the Yugo: 1985 Yugo GV - The 50 Worst Cars of All Time - TIME


Are we having fun?????
__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:23 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,048
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post


BTW: Lexus motors out of wrecked cars are cheep, even cheaper than a smaller Toyota motor. why, because they never wear out and no one is looking for a used ones. Most yards don't even bother keeping more than a couple on hand.


.
So how did they get wrecked? Must have been in the "relentless pursuit of excellence"... chasing FORDS!
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:01 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
More likely they got ran into by FORD drivers that lost control trying to navigate crossing over those giant "Botts-Dots" reflective lane markers.... LOL
__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:21 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,048
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
More likely they got ran into by FORD drivers that lost control trying to navigate crossing over those giant "Botts-Dots" reflective lane markers.... LOL
Too lame and predictable! No Touche'!
Let me know if we need a safe word!
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:44 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
The Minimalist's Avatar
 
Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Posts: 724
Registry
Bob, if you really want a Yugo, I know of at least 3 down here. Well, 'down here' is a bit misleading, since they are atop polls in front of salvage yards.
__________________
Clif
The Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:16 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
I guess one could say that they are in their natural habitat or, Ashes to Ashes, Rust to Rust... Tell me, are the on top of the Ford or Chevy poles..... LOL
__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:43 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Ellpea in CA's Avatar
 
Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Posts: 870
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
...when I'm towing Shrimp Scampi.


Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
LOL! Another name I love!

LP
__________________

__________________
Ellpea in CA
1988 13.5' Lil Bigfoot
2002 Volvo V70 (turbocharged)
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford Transit 2.2l Diesel honda03842 Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 82 07-17-2012 07:13 AM
CA | SOLD: 1978 Van Mate fiberglass pop up Travel trailer , 1978 Van Mate , Beyond RARE Bob Guilliams Classified Archives 12 03-15-2012 08:44 PM
How to secure appliances in place for transit? lespnd Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 12 07-17-2011 07:25 PM
7" LED Stop/Turn/Tail Transit Light Alan Ursacki General Chat 0 11-02-2010 07:14 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.