Frame reinforcement assistance -- Compact Jr - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2016, 05:10 PM   #1

Name: Talia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
USA
Frame reinforcement assistance -- Compact Jr

Could any Compact owners who have reinforced their frame post clear photos of the reinforcements that you did, and describe them? I would like to do preventative maintenance on my 1972 Compact Jr's frame so that I don't have to worry about it in the future. I need photos to show the welder what I need done. I tried searching the forums, but haven't found any photos that really show what others have done.

Thanks!
Talia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:03 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talia View Post
Could any Compact owners who have reinforced their frame post clear photos of the reinforcements that you did, and describe them? I would like to do preventative maintenance on my 1972 Compact Jr's frame so that I don't have to worry about it in the future. I need photos to show the welder what I need done. I tried searching the forums, but haven't found any photos that really show what others have done.

Thanks!
I assume you refer to the place where the front A-frame meets the side rails?
Just be sure to use a qualified welder to add any reinforcements.
Bad welding, or welds in the wrong places can actually do more harm than good, by creating stress concentration points.
Welds should only run lengthwise to the frame members, not crosswise. Avoid undercuts. Grind them smooth to blend in.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:01 PM   #3

Name: Talia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
I assume you refer to the place where the front A-frame meets the side rails?
Just be sure to use a qualified welder to add any reinforcements.
Bad welding, or welds in the wrong places can actually do more harm than good, by creating stress concentration points.
Welds should only run lengthwise to the frame members, not crosswise. Avoid undercuts. Grind them smooth to blend in.
Yes, having seen it mentioned a few times by other people familiar with the Compacts, I thought I'd have it done just as a preventative thing. I do have a friend who has been a professional welder for going on 30 years now, so as long as I can show him what I need, he should be able to do it.
Talia is offline   Reply With Quote