Frequency of trailer bearing/brake service? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2014, 04:30 AM   #21

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I got two 10-19 seals for our ParkLiner yesterday, and after reading this thread, took a closer look at them. One was made in China, the other in Taiwan!

These seals go on a 3500# EZ Lube spindle on a 3500# Flexiride axle. Knowing it's not good to mix greases, and wanting to "top off" my bearings, I finally decided the only route to go was just to clean everything good, and repack with grease that I know. (We just bought the trailer last October and had not used it since.) In this case, that grease is Lucas Red & Tacky.

May get to it tonight, maybe tomorrow night. Work seems to get in the way of fun all the darn time!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:20 AM   #22
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Careful stocking up on seals...(2200# Dexter axle) I am presently using some old used seals until I can find a decent seal again. I'm afraid that unless I find some NOS seals somewhere, that I will be just out of luck.
I have used some new seals recently and for the second time found them to be of inferior quality with plastic coating on the hubside and warped seals on the inside.
I am having my "real" parts store seek out some decent quality seals, whether that succeeds or not, I may contact Dexter to see what they are using. Hopefully they will be the same as a decade ago.
Until then, I will use the only good set I have.
Interesting. Every year I would travel to the local RV store and pick up a new set of seals. They stock Tekonsha seals. $15 a set. Every year I would find a slight discoloration in the grease near the old seal but otherwise the grease looked new. The last time I greased the bearings I used seals I bought on line, $6-7 a set. Yesterday I went to do my bearings and found the grease a nasty brown. Live and learn. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:24 AM   #23

New York
Well, by golly, I just learned a lesson. I could not for the life of me get the numbers on my seals to interchange to NAPA. So this morning, for the heck of it, I googled U.S. made 10-19 grease seals (ones I bought yesterday at a trailer supply place), and got a National number that did interchange to a NAPA number 17144. I then called my buddy at NAPA and asked him to pull a couple and see where they were made. U.S.A. Guess I need to return the ones I got and head for NAPA.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #24

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Without fail....

....we repack our Trillium's wheel bearings yearly and replace bearings every 4 years regardless of mileage. Bearing can/do go flat on vehicles stored for a period of time. 'Spinning' raised wheels periodically does seem to help, but taking the trailer out on short shake down runs might be better overall!!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:38 AM   #25

New York
How about jacking it up in the long winters we have here, and removing the wheels and tires?

Next year (or maybe even later this year) I hope to get aluminum wheels with radial trailer tires!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-14-2014, 10:12 PM   #26

Name: Tim
Trailer: Casita
Nebraska
If I have the original axle assembly on my 2007 Casita 17 SD, anyone know what exact parts I need to get for a complete bearing overhaul for both wheels?
Burtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:41 AM   #27
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burtim View Post
If I have the original axle assembly on my 2007 Casita 17 SD, anyone know what exact parts I need to get for a complete bearing overhaul for both wheels?
I would think Casita could identify the axle from the trailer serial number. Parts can be found (ordered?) at the local RV place, some auto parts stores, or on line. On line Easterm marine and etrailer sell parts at good prices. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:07 AM   #28

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burtim View Post
If you're going to rebuild the hubs yourself, pull them off, make sure you don't destroy the part # on the seal, and bearing #s should be easy to read. You don't need to buy online unless you want to, as any good parts place, like NAPA, will probably have complete hub rebuilding kits for whatever you have.

I did not know what axle was in our 2012 ParkLiner, and the company never got back to me with answers, so I just pulled it apart and rebuilt it anyways. Finished it last night.

Best of luck to you!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-15-2014, 10:03 AM   #29

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Interesting. Every year I would travel to the local RV store and pick up a new set of seals. They stock Tekonsha seals. $15 a set. Every year I would find a slight discoloration in the grease near the old seal but otherwise the grease looked new. The last time I greased the bearings I used seals I bought on line, $6-7 a set. Yesterday I went to do my bearings and found the grease a nasty brown. Live and learn. Raz
Yup a lesson I learn in regards to purchasing cheap bearings on line last year as well .... after only about 500 miles of use I had one removed to have checked as I had noticed that one of my hubs although not hot was a little warm while the other was cold..... had it inspected by someone who knows a heck of lot more about bearings than I and they indicated the colour of the grease and the wear on the bearing indicated it wasn't going to have lasted long. It showed more indication of wear than the old bearing it had replaced that had been on the trailer for more than 5 years and repacked each year.

Although most of the big name bearing companies such as Timken and SKF do have their bearings made outside of NA these days they do have higher manufacturing specs and better quality controller than the smaller no name manufactures who's bearings can be had for real cheap on line.

The few dollars one saves on buying cheap no name bearings and seals isn't worth the potential trouble and possible vacation time interrupted due to issues with them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote