Frequency of trailer bearing/brake service? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-03-2014, 06:24 AM   #15

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
I just replaced mine yesterday. The reason: We bought the scamp used last summer and have been rehabbing it. Further still, I didn't feel I could trust the care record if any previous owner.

Now I have new bearings freshly packed. And just as importantly, I have a much better working knowledge if a very important system in my Scamp.

Finally, in the advice if someone here on another post, I bought a third set of bearings that I will take in the road with me - now I can make repairs from the road should I need to!

Old 05-04-2014, 06:24 AM   #16

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Frequency of trailer bearing/brake service?

Yep. For every trailer I have, I get one of those o-ringed Tupperware containers, and put a set of greased bearings, and extra grease in it. I also carry cotter pins, a dust seal, extra dust cap, and a spare hub.

I've changed trailer bearings out at a rest stop in the middle of interstate before, due to a hot hub when I filled gas. 15 minute job, and back on the road.

I don't even take the wheel off the hub when I do bearings, saves a lot of time.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #17

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Yep. For every trailer I have, I get one of those o-ringed Tupperware containers, and put a set of greased bearings, and extra grease in it. I also carry cotter pins, a dust seal, extra dust cap, and a spare hub.

I've changed trailer bearings out at a rest stop in the middle of interstate before, due to a hot hub when I filled gas. 15 minute job, and back on the road.

I don't even take the wheel off the hub when I do bearings, saves a lot of time.
Jared,
Good tips. I think I'll Tupper up a set of bearings and seals before we head to Moab.
Other than boat trailers that get dunked in salt water, I never have figured out why trailer bearings are so problematic. They are essentially the same as any front wheel bearing on a car. The Chinese value bearings may be one problem, and over tightening may be another. If I install Timkens and adjust them properly I don't ever worry. I also do the temperature checks at gas stops.
Russ
Old 05-12-2014, 10:22 PM   #18

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Georgia
Northern sells a pre-packed hub, complete down to the lugnuts for around $40. They even come in a plastic container for no mess. Granted, it's cheapo Asian stuff, but Nice to have along just in case.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:02 AM   #19

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
It is a good idea to stock up on seals. That makes it easier to repack later.
Careful stocking up on seals...(2200# Dexter axle) I am presently using some old used seals until I can find a decent seal again. I'm afraid that unless I find some NOS seals somewhere, that I will be just out of luck.
I have used some new seals recently and for the second time found them to be of inferior quality with plastic coating on the hubside and warped seals on the inside.
I am having my "real" parts store seek out some decent quality seals, whether that succeeds or not, I may contact Dexter to see what they are using. Hopefully they will be the same as a decade ago.
Until then, I will use the only good set I have.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:19 AM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Yup Floyd, rubber parts have changed over the last 5 to 10 years. The German made axle boots I use on a swing axle VW buggy used to last a couple years of off roading. Now they only seem to last around 9 months. Even my supplier can only shrug his shoulders.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:30 AM   #21

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I got two 10-19 seals for our ParkLiner yesterday, and after reading this thread, took a closer look at them. One was made in China, the other in Taiwan!

These seals go on a 3500# EZ Lube spindle on a 3500# Flexiride axle. Knowing it's not good to mix greases, and wanting to "top off" my bearings, I finally decided the only route to go was just to clean everything good, and repack with grease that I know. (We just bought the trailer last October and had not used it since.) In this case, that grease is Lucas Red & Tacky.

May get to it tonight, maybe tomorrow night. Work seems to get in the way of fun all the darn time!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:20 AM   #22
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Careful stocking up on seals...(2200# Dexter axle) I am presently using some old used seals until I can find a decent seal again. I'm afraid that unless I find some NOS seals somewhere, that I will be just out of luck.
I have used some new seals recently and for the second time found them to be of inferior quality with plastic coating on the hubside and warped seals on the inside.
I am having my "real" parts store seek out some decent quality seals, whether that succeeds or not, I may contact Dexter to see what they are using. Hopefully they will be the same as a decade ago.
Until then, I will use the only good set I have.
Interesting. Every year I would travel to the local RV store and pick up a new set of seals. They stock Tekonsha seals. $15 a set. Every year I would find a slight discoloration in the grease near the old seal but otherwise the grease looked new. The last time I greased the bearings I used seals I bought on line, $6-7 a set. Yesterday I went to do my bearings and found the grease a nasty brown. Live and learn. Raz
Old 05-13-2014, 07:24 AM   #23

New York
Well, by golly, I just learned a lesson. I could not for the life of me get the numbers on my seals to interchange to NAPA. So this morning, for the heck of it, I googled U.S. made 10-19 grease seals (ones I bought yesterday at a trailer supply place), and got a National number that did interchange to a NAPA number 17144. I then called my buddy at NAPA and asked him to pull a couple and see where they were made. U.S.A. Guess I need to return the ones I got and head for NAPA.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #24

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Without fail....

....we repack our Trillium's wheel bearings yearly and replace bearings every 4 years regardless of mileage. Bearing can/do go flat on vehicles stored for a period of time. 'Spinning' raised wheels periodically does seem to help, but taking the trailer out on short shake down runs might be better overall!!!!
Old 05-13-2014, 12:38 PM   #25

New York
How about jacking it up in the long winters we have here, and removing the wheels and tires?

Next year (or maybe even later this year) I hope to get aluminum wheels with radial trailer tires!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-14-2014, 11:12 PM   #26

Name: Tim
Trailer: Casita
Nebraska
If I have the original axle assembly on my 2007 Casita 17 SD, anyone know what exact parts I need to get for a complete bearing overhaul for both wheels?
Old 05-15-2014, 04:41 AM   #27
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burtim View Post
If I have the original axle assembly on my 2007 Casita 17 SD, anyone know what exact parts I need to get for a complete bearing overhaul for both wheels?
I would think Casita could identify the axle from the trailer serial number. Parts can be found (ordered?) at the local RV place, some auto parts stores, or on line. On line Easterm marine and etrailer sell parts at good prices. Raz
Old 05-15-2014, 06:07 AM   #28

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burtim View Post
If you're going to rebuild the hubs yourself, pull them off, make sure you don't destroy the part # on the seal, and bearing #s should be easy to read. You don't need to buy online unless you want to, as any good parts place, like NAPA, will probably have complete hub rebuilding kits for whatever you have.

I did not know what axle was in our 2012 ParkLiner, and the company never got back to me with answers, so I just pulled it apart and rebuilt it anyways. Finished it last night.

Best of luck to you!

Frank

2012 ParkLiner #006