Frequency of trailer bearing/brake service? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2014, 10:35 PM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: Casita
Nebraska
Frequency of trailer bearing/brake service?

We got our used 2007 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe from a very concientious owner last fall. He said he had the bearings and brakes serviced last spring before he put about 2,000 miles on them running out to the mountains and back. We have added maybe 500 miles since then.

On the local runs to campgrounds we have made, the brakes seem to work fine. The hubs don't get warm. I have seen a little red grease splatter in the rim on the passenger side. The rubber seal over the hub was loose. Maybe overfilled?

We are going to put 3,000 plus miles on it this summer. Should I be getting these checked?

And... is Camping World typically decent for general service? I don't trust this to my own abilities yet.
Burtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:43 PM   #2

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
I don't doubt the honesty of the prior owner, but I would have them repacked before your trip. That way, you have a starting point for your maintenance records and know the condition of brakes and bearings. Then plan on repacking annually(some think annually is overkill, but I think safety). Camping World can do the work, but look close to home for a rv/trailer shop that will probably do in less expensively.

When I bought my Scamp and pulled the hubs, I found the brakes had been stripped and the bearing grease was so thick and dry, I could peel it off.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:14 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I do mine every year regardless of how many miles I have put on it. I had one set of new (read cheap bearings) that after only a few thousand miles on them started running warm on one side and when taken off showed serious signs of wear.... I would rather as Dennis says be safe than sorry.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:14 AM   #4

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I repack mine before the first use every year. I consider it cheap insurance compared to bearings welded to a hub on the side of the road.

I also check the temperature of the hubs by hand every time I fill gas.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:33 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Tim I agree with the others to get it checked out and repacked. But you don't have to take it to an RV center. If you have an auto repair location that you take your vehicles to and are happy with their work use them.
Checking/repacking bearings and electric brakes, like they say, isn't rocket science. I live in a very small town and stayed around to watch when I took mine in to see for myself the condition of everything they took apart so I knew what I had when I bought the SD17. My bearings were changed out because they showed a little ware. Now I have a starting point for the future maintanence. I may do it myself next year but then again, getting out the credit card doesn't get any grease under my fingernails
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:04 AM   #6

California
Jared, I thought I was the only one that checked the hubs at stops.
Just one kind of funny story on that. I was bringing a new to me Casita SD home and after about 50 miles thought it was time to check the hubs for heat. I pulled to the side of the two lane highway and stopped.....and right across the road from a hiding sheriff that I didn't see, watching for speeders on a long downhill grade. Well, being my trailer tags where iffy, I thought, make like you are expirienced. I am, 45 years with trailers but still.... who wants to be stopped. I checked the chains, plug and both hubs and as I came back around to get back in the truck I gave him the thumbs up, he did the same back and never moved. BTW, the tags were good.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:59 AM   #7

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Jared & Dave, you are not alone. I service my trailer hubs every spring, and still check the hubs every time I stop, as soon as I stop. Been doing that a long time and never had a problem. Don't want one either! I travel I-87 every day and it is NOT rare to see trailers on the side of the road, and I'm positive usually it's frozen bearings. I've had it happen to boating buddies of mine too. I also carry both a grease gun and 1# can of bearing grease with me when I travel, along with necessary tools and a floor jack in-a-box.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Checking the hubs for heat when stopping for gas has kept me out of trouble more than once. Its a good practise to get into.

I also recommend carrying at least one set of bearings and seals in case you need to do an emergency change out. If you have troubles its possible the town you are in does not have the correct ones to sell you and you could waste a day or two of vacation time waiting for them to be delivered to where you are, as my GF discovered last summer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:27 AM   #9

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Bearing Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I do mine every year regardless of how many miles I have put on it. I had one set of new (read cheap bearings) that after only a few thousand miles on them started running warm on one side and when taken off showed serious signs of wear.... I would rather as Dennis says be safe than sorry.
I do my trailer every year in the early Spring.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:47 AM   #10

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Only one 600mi trip to the Catskills last fall after repack. Couple bucks extra over the Sino-Russky stuff and worth it for the peace of mind whether they're better or not.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:02 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
Tim- I have driven 2,200 miles in 4 days and checked the wheel hub temps about six times a day. I did that on my previous trip and noted that the hub on the driver side was running at 140 degs hotter than I though was good. Had my truck guy check it and found that the nut was to tight and there was one bearing ball that was seized on the ring. Changed the bearing, repacked both sides and have not had a reading over 94 degs. in a bit over 2,200 miles in 4 days. I also have the bearings repacked yearly,as I feel good maintenance will make for trouble free trips. So far that theory works.
captsteve2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:08 PM   #12

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
It is a good idea to stock up on seals. That makes it easier to repack later.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:13 PM   #13

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Hey Dave, I used drive by Borego all the time. My brother lived in Pauma Valley. I used to ride my motorcycle in the desert on the cool days and in the mountains on the hot ones.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:16 AM   #14

California
Hi Conrad, your home state is a LONG way from here but if your down this way give me a heads up, I've got plenty of room for RV's and a eyeball to eyeball with another FGRV member. Starting to get a bit warm now, it was 103 today. Not looking forward to the 125's but that comes with the desert. I've ahhh, rearanged a bit of this desert over the years with ATV's and my buggy.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:24 AM   #15

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
I just replaced mine yesterday. The reason: We bought the scamp used last summer and have been rehabbing it. Further still, I didn't feel I could trust the care record if any previous owner.

Now I have new bearings freshly packed. And just as importantly, I have a much better working knowledge if a very important system in my Scamp.

Finally, in the advice if someone here on another post, I bought a third set of bearings that I will take in the road with me - now I can make repairs from the road should I need to!
DaMScampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:24 AM   #16

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Frequency of trailer bearing/brake service?

Yep. For every trailer I have, I get one of those o-ringed Tupperware containers, and put a set of greased bearings, and extra grease in it. I also carry cotter pins, a dust seal, extra dust cap, and a spare hub.

I've changed trailer bearings out at a rest stop in the middle of interstate before, due to a hot hub when I filled gas. 15 minute job, and back on the road.

I don't even take the wheel off the hub when I do bearings, saves a lot of time.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #17

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Yep. For every trailer I have, I get one of those o-ringed Tupperware containers, and put a set of greased bearings, and extra grease in it. I also carry cotter pins, a dust seal, extra dust cap, and a spare hub.

I've changed trailer bearings out at a rest stop in the middle of interstate before, due to a hot hub when I filled gas. 15 minute job, and back on the road.

I don't even take the wheel off the hub when I do bearings, saves a lot of time.
Jared,
Good tips. I think I'll Tupper up a set of bearings and seals before we head to Moab.
Other than boat trailers that get dunked in salt water, I never have figured out why trailer bearings are so problematic. They are essentially the same as any front wheel bearing on a car. The Chinese value bearings may be one problem, and over tightening may be another. If I install Timkens and adjust them properly I don't ever worry. I also do the temperature checks at gas stops.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:22 PM   #18

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Georgia
Northern sells a pre-packed hub, complete down to the lugnuts for around $40. They even come in a plastic container for no mess. Granted, it's cheapo Asian stuff, but Nice to have along just in case.
Martins HeirCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:02 PM   #19

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
It is a good idea to stock up on seals. That makes it easier to repack later.
Careful stocking up on seals...(2200# Dexter axle) I am presently using some old used seals until I can find a decent seal again. I'm afraid that unless I find some NOS seals somewhere, that I will be just out of luck.
I have used some new seals recently and for the second time found them to be of inferior quality with plastic coating on the hubside and warped seals on the inside.
I am having my "real" parts store seek out some decent quality seals, whether that succeeds or not, I may contact Dexter to see what they are using. Hopefully they will be the same as a decade ago.
Until then, I will use the only good set I have.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:19 AM   #20

California
Yup Floyd, rubber parts have changed over the last 5 to 10 years. The German made axle boots I use on a swing axle VW buggy used to last a couple years of off roading. Now they only seem to last around 9 months. Even my supplier can only shrug his shoulders.