Frontier vs Tacoma for Escape 5.0? - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #1
Name: Roke
Trailer: Currently shopping
Frontier vs Tacoma for Escape 5.0?

Hello, all.
We are in the process of purchasing a 2013 Escape 5.0, and also shopping for a tow vehicle. It looks like a lot of folks have experience using a Nissan Frontier (V6) as a tow vehicle, and a few with a Tacoma (V6, tow package). I'd really appreciate hearing any comments, advice, etc. about making this choice. Thanks!
Roke W.

Roke W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #2
Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
What year truck are you considering ? I tow my Bigfoot with a 2007 Tacoma 4X4 with the off road package. Toyota had a service bulletin on this year for a free spring upgrade and after that was completed I was very pleased with the cargo capacity and ability to tow the trailer. If you are buying used make sure the spring upgrade was done. If the truck spring has 2 leafs, the upgrade was not done. Also the Tacoma has a composite plastic bed. Some special modifications will have to be done for a fifth wheel hitch. My truck also had the tow package so brake controller install was super easy.

Jack L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Not what you want to hear, but I love my 2014 Ford F-150 w/ Ecoboost towing a 2014 Escape 5.0TA. HOWEVER, my Ford came with a mortgage
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
There are a few folks towing the Escape 5th wheel with a Frontier here, I pull a 16' Scamp with mine and am pretty happy with it. You just need to be very careful when shopping for a Frontier they do not all have the same payload capacity. For example a King Cab will have a higher payload than a Crew cab and the Pro 4x package on a King Cab is probable the model with the highest payload which you are going to want for the 5th wheel.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #5
Thank-you everyone who has responded so far. So, if we wanted to move up a bit in the payload capacity, any recommendations? Tundra, F-150, something else?
Old 09-07-2014, 10:42 PM   #6
Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
You will have to look at the weight ratings for each one, but anything mentioned will pull it, power wise.

Me, I prefer plenty of power, most scream blasphemy and prefer having only what's needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:13 AM   #7
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Check Consumers Reports and buy the best one.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:17 AM   #8
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
I had a first generation Tundra with the V6, very similar to the current Tacoma. I liked it a lot. When it came time for a new truck, I looked at both the Tacoma and the Frontier. They are both nice reliable trucks. I chose the Frontier. It was easier to set up for towing (plug and play), and less expensive. They sell 4 Tacomas for every Frontier. As such, the dealers are not as ready to deal. Tacomas have had spring and rust issues, Frontier had a radiator/transmission issue. I believe both have been fixed. Fuel economy is in the teens which is low compared to newer designs. They both need a lot of room to turn around. Happy shopping. Raz
Raz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:35 AM   #9
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Somewhere in the Lower 48
I've towed a Scamp 19 with an F150 EcoBoost for several thousand miles. It doesn't boggle down when going up hills, even long ones. If I punch it at 60 it pins me back in the seat and is up to. 80 in the wink of an eye. The only downside us gas mileage, at 22 Hwy, 18 City, and 14-1/2 to 15-1/2 towing. In February, the new all-aluminum bodied F series will go on sale. 800 lbs lighter, with a new EcoBoost that I have been told by a Ford employee that will get 30 mpg Hwy. To me that would probably mean 26-27 city and 22-23 towing. Makes me wish I were looking for a new tow vehicle now.

Sent via Mental Telepathy directly to Fiberglass RV
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:45 AM   #10
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Roke W...We're now on our second Escape 5.0/ 5.0TA towed with our 2010 Frontier.60,000 trouble free miles and $10,000 less than a Taco got my attention. In some areas the Nissan's are hard to find. Our dealer had to go 200 miles for a white 4X4 SE Crew Cab Longbed.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:54 PM   #11
Name: Cheryl
Trailer: in the market for used
Need suv/truck advice to pull 19' escape or similar

Brand new to the form.
Single female who will be traveling alone. I have looked at Class A, Class C, Class B, 5th wheels...trailers. Looked at Diesel trucks... VERY expensive and not sure I want a large rig or the problems that go with it.

I have recently been looking at fiberglass trailers that I can tow behind a Toyota 4Runner (v6 or v8). Or looking at a 5th wheel, considered a Tundra. (used vehicles). I have struggled for over a year trying to decide on a configuration that is economical (truck & trailer).

I want both a reliable vehicle (have had 2 4runners one with 286,000 miles and my current with 248,000) NEVER any problems with these vehicles. I also want a RELIABLE trailer. I am open to all trailers on this forum. Will buy in late 2015/2016. Currently like the Escape 19'

My Questions:
Can you users give me some advice on a configuration (SUV/Truck and trailer) and give me your positives and negatives?

I also like the SUBARU Forester, but hesitate, since I have always driven a truck. Not sure a smaller vehicle like the Forester will have enough power in the mountains. The vehicle will be my "every day" vehicle and my travel vehicle. I am thrifty .... not cheap .. and want the best ... most cost effective vehicle and trailer.

I have recently been looking at the fiberglass trailers.... mainly because they appear more maintenance free and are light enough to tow behind a smaller vehicle. I live in Minnesota, so need insulation and double pane windows too! Will be traveling primarily in the West....mountains. Rockies. Will 1/2 time travel.... 3 to 6 months in the winter. Spending a month each in Colorado, Santa Fe, Sedona.

Nervous about traveling alone.... but will not give up on my "dream". Have had a class c... loved it, but nothing but problems. Have traveled every state, extensively. This time around I will travel in more state parks. So please also recommend safety tips for a single traveler. I am semi retired.... Thanks in advance for your advice!
Maxamillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:29 AM   #12
Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
Welcome Cheryl to the group. Others will give you a lot of info. Had to smile when you said you like trucks. I've had around 100 vehicles over the years and I really only feel right in a truck myself.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:35 AM   #13
We've been thinking 2WD but lots of folks seem to have 4WD vehicles. Would we be better off with 4WD?
Old 09-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #14
Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
The regular Toyota trucks have a lower ground clearance than the 4X4. Toyota also makes a PreRunner which is 2WD but the same ground clearance as the 4WD Tacoma. The Prerunner and 4X4 have a greater towing capacity. In 07 it was 6500# for the Prerunner and 4X4 and 3500# for the standard 2WD. The Toyota 4X4 tow package has a 7 pin connector and a transmission cooler. 2 really nice features.

I love 4WD and I have been on some pretty nasty unimproved BLM and Forest Service roads when I was glad I had 4WD but if you only travel on improved roads it's not absolutely necessary.

When I bought the Tacoma I also looked at the Nissan Frontier and it was a nice truck also. The local Toyota dealership employees were jerks, but the Nissan dealership employees were bigger jerks. There was not much price difference on similarly equipped trucks.

Jack L is online now   Reply With Quote