Fuses in a Town and Country Tow Vehicle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #1

Name: Ginny
Trailer: Escape
Alaska
Registry
Unhappy Fuses in a Town and Country Tow Vehicle

After a bit of impromptu off-road driving on our undeveloped land in Cape Breton, we realized the back-up lights (left and right) on both the Scamp and the 2006 T&C were out. When we got home, we visited the tow people, figuring we had dislodged a wire. They said, no, it must be a blown fuse. Problem is, we can't find the fuse for the back-up lights. The dealer won't tell us - they claim we might put in the wrong fuse and sue them. Can anyone tell me where the back-up light fuse is? Thanks!
GingerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
If your Town and Country came with tow package installed you might have a defective relay or two.
The fuse block is under the hood on the drivers side. You'll have to remove the cover to get at the fuses and relays.
I would stay away from that dealer..
Old 12-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #3

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
If your Town and Country came with tow package installed you might have a defective relay or two.
The fuse block is under the hood on the drivers side. You'll have to remove the cover to get at the fuses and relays.
I would stay away from that dealer..
Nice dealer. I suggest they will sell you a bunch of stuff you don't need (in addition to the 50 cent fuse you DO need). I do wonder though, if the wattage of the bulbs in the trailer are more than the circuit can handle. It might be wise to double check, or you will just cook the new fuse.

I have found it good to have a shop manual on hand for any vehicle I own. These manuals are worth their weight in gold, even if you just use them as a bullshit detector. Check ebay.

Derek
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Hmp, doesn't seem like a very customer friendly dealership.
A few years ago, I went to my local Jeep Chrysler dealer when I had a problem with my back blinker. I had the light bulb in hand and asked them very nicely how to go about changing it. They did it for me no charge, and even checked all my lights to make sure they all worked. I'll bet if I had asked them where the fuse box was, they'd have told me that too!! You might try another dealership.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #5

Name: Ginny
Trailer: Escape
Alaska
Registry
Thanks or the info, Byron. No tow package, we added the tow hitch when we bought the Scamp. We've looked at the fuses under the hood but nothing is marked "back-up lights." The only fuses that might be "it" are marked "left pkg/tail light" and "right parking/tail light." That seems to imply that the two sides have separate fuses. Maybe it's the switch? I was hoping someone else might have experienced/solved the same issue.
GingerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #6

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Check your owner's manual for fuse locations. Some vans have an auxiliary fuse/relay box behind a kick panel in the rear. My Ford Aerostars all had one.

Have you tried a Google (or other) search on "Town Country taillight fuse"?

I agree with the suggestions above to find another dealer.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #7

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
It seems weird to me that it's only the backup lights...is that correct?

Whoever did the wiring for the tug-to-tow hookup is probably the culprit here. If you did-it-yourself, you'll have to backtrack your work, but if you paid someone to do it they should track down the problem. Did you do so?

If yes: are they the ones that told you "it's just a fuse"? If so, the proper retort to that is that fuses don't blow for no reason, and if they did the wiring then they'd better find the defect in their own work that's CAUSING the fuse to blow.

I doubt the failure' has anything to do with your off-road adventure, by the way, so don't let anybody try to tell you otherwise.

Good Luck!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:09 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Do you really mean backup (reverse) lights? Most trailers don't have them, although some do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
... I doubt the failure' has anything to do with your off-road adventure, by the way, so don't let anybody try to tell you otherwise.
...unless, of course, the trailer electrical cable was damaged by being dragged or crushed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerB View Post
Problem is, we can't find the fuse for the back-up lights.
Have you checked the owner's manual? You might not expect detailed fuse info there, and it might not be, but some do have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerB View Post
The dealer won't tell us - they claim we might put in the wrong fuse and sue them.
Fuses are generally self-service items.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Do you really mean backup (reverse) lights? Most trailers don't have them, although some do.
This crossed my mind, too, but when I looked at the Scamp wiring diagram which shows the yellow wire at the rear lights, I concluded that late-model Scamps like the O.P.'s do have backup lights.

Francesca
Old 12-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Liable

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourpets View Post
Nice dealer. I suggest they will sell you a bunch of stuff you don't need (in addition to the 50 cent fuse you DO need). I do wonder though, if the wattage of the bulbs in the trailer are more than the circuit can handle. It might be wise to double check, or you will just cook the new fuse.

I have found it good to have a shop manual on hand for any vehicle I own. These manuals are worth their weight in gold, even if you just use them as a bullshit detector. Check ebay.

Derek
If you have ever been sued for advising someone how to perform a task you would understand why the dealer did what he did . I been named in a suit and so for that very reason I do not advise anyone unless I am the one doing the work
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #12

Quote:
This crossed my mind, too, but when I looked at the Scamp wiring diagram which shows the yellow wire at the rear lights, I concluded that late-model Scamps like the O.P.'s do have backup lights.
Sure, but before Scamps even existed, Bolers (Scamps' ancestors) had that yellow wire with no backup lamps provided. Although it can be used for backup lights - my Boler manual describes that use - it is also for use as a stop (brake) signal to accommodate tow vehicles with separate stop and turn lamps (which are now handled with an electronic converter). Either use is uncommon, so I was just checking.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:

Francesca
While it is true that Scamp provides wiring for back-up lights, fused/switched power must be provided from the TV. The trailer has no onboard fuse protection for DOT lighting.

Being a 2006, your Chrysler "likely" has a peripheral onboard computer to control the non-engine related accessories. In that case, it is possible that it is the computer which is disallowing your back-up lights after sensing the additional load of two extra bulbs. Aftermarket taillight interface boxes do not generally involve back-up light circuitry.

I have provided the wiring on my Escape for back-up lights but If I hook it up it will be with a relay providing power directly from the battery, thereby bypassing the SJB.

You might consider LED back-up lights to avoid the increased load.

I have not studied your particular make/model, nor do I have access to it for diagnosis, but this may provide a lead.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
While it is true that Scamp provides wiring for back-up lights, fused/switched power must be provided from the TV. The trailer has no onboard fuse protection for DOT lighting.

Are you saying that Scamp only sticks a yellow wire in there as it has for years, but that the O.P.'s 2011 Scamp does NOT (ordinarily) have working backup lights???

The wiring diagram clearly indicates a direct hookup to the rear lights.

This is obviously an important point, since the whole problem as described by the O.P. is that the backup lights alone on both the tug and the tow are not working.

It's understood of course that a live connection to the tug is required, and that fuses for this system are located in the tug, not the tow.

Francesca
Old 12-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Were is the fuse box located on the 2006 Town and country Minivan - JustAnswer
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:

Are you saying that Scamp only sticks a yellow wire in there as it has for years, but that the O.P.'s 2011 Scamp does NOT (ordinarily) have working backup lights???

The wiring diagram clearly indicates a direct hookup to the rear lights.

This is obviously an important point, since the whole problem as described by the O.P. is that the backup lights alone on both the tug and the tow are not working.

It's understood of course that a live connection to the tug is required, and that fuses for this system are located in the tug, not the tow.

Francesca
The trailer is wired for back-up lights, but the TV is commonly not wired to supply power for trailer back-up lights. My post was simply addressing how the back-up lights on the TV's trailer harness may have been wired in a way which was incompatible with modern automotive wiring practices.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
The trailer is wired for back-up lights, but the TV is commonly not wired to supply power for trailer back-up lights. My post was simply addressing how the back-up lights on the TV's trailer harness may have been wired in a way which was incompatible with modern automotive wiring practices.

Good grief...still no answer to the very simple question of whether or not the O.P.'s trailer actually has backup lights.

Not that it matters, since we haven't heard from him/her for many moons and are once again talking only to ourselves...

Francesca
Old 12-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
<_<

Good grief...still no answer to the very simple question of whether or not the O.P.'s trailer actually has backup lights.

Not that it matters, since we haven't heard from him/her for many moons and are once again talking only to ourselves...

Francesca
Now thrice said...It does.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Now thrice said...It does.
To who???

Evidently not to the O.P....

But as long as you're on the line and actually own a late model Scamp, would you care to simply, clearly, and without equivocation answer the question as to whether or not a 2011 Scamp 13 came with backup lights?

OPERATIONAL BACKUP LIGHTS, NOT THEORETICAL/POSSIBLE/JUST WIRED FOR ONES.

Thank you for your kind consideration/participation in this totally hypothetical discussion...

Francesca
Old 12-28-2012, 12:05 AM   #20

Registry
Quote:
To who???

Evidently not to the O.P....

But as long as you're on the line and actually own a late model Scamp, would you care to simply, clearly, and without equivocation answer the question as to whether or not a 2011 Scamp 13 came with backup lights?

OPERATIONAL BACKUP LIGHTS, NOT THEORETICAL/POSSIBLE/JUST WIRED FOR ONES.

Thank you for your kind consideration/participation in this totally hypothetical discussion...

Francesca
To whom?... You, you, and...uh...you.

Simply, clearly, and without "equivocation" (should I be offended?)....

Here is a video from Scamp showing the back-up bulb being changed...

http://www.scamptrailers.com/Portals...k/17-Lamps.swf

Here is a description of the connector wiring...

http://www.scamptrailers.com/Portals...lConnector.swf