gas milleage - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #15
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
My Sprinter T1N Short/Short get 20-22 towing a 17' Casita
My Tundra 4x4 V8 Longbed Reg.Cab about 11-14 pulling the same rig.

Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #16
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
3.5L Highlander towing my former 17' Burro got 14 mpg. Towing present boxy trailer, 12 mpg. Unhooked on highway, 23 mpg.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:31 AM   #17
Name: Mark
Trailer: Currently shopping
honda0342 stop in San Diego!!! Tour = lunch !!! Haha
deaddropsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:14 AM   #18
Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Chevy 1500 with 5.3 liter V8, 20-12 empty, 17 towing our Egg Camper. One feature of this engine is that it automatically drops to 4 cylinders with appropriate conditions.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:16 AM   #19
Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
2011 Toyota Tundra Double Cab, with 4.6L v-8, six-speed auto, and towing package. NOT towing we get about 15-18 mpg around town (suburbs, really), and 20-22 highway mpg. When we tow our little EggCamper, our highway mileage drops to 14.5mpg, which is close to our "around town" mileage. We tow at 65mph here in Florida where there are no restrictions on towing speeds. When I see the mileage figures for all the "big, square rigs" on other forums, I'm glad we got the little egg.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #20
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
In 2 weeks, we are going to the NOG, so we'll see how "Max" does when towing "Quatchi" in hilly stuff
Seriously Dave Trip to NOG hilly???that coming from a BC boy sounds strange not many hills unless your planning on going via the cascades....

07 Outback towing a 16' Scamp at 2500lbs loaded gets about 22mpg on trips to Northern Oregon region. Put it the real mountains such as the cascades & rockys and it drops to about 17/18 mpg.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #21
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
I think that a basic "Rule of Thumb" is that higher MPG vehicles will see a greater percentage reduction in economy when towing. Our 2009 Honda CRV is right at the edge for power and economy. We averaged 28 mpg driving 400 miles to pick up a Compact-II. When towing on the same road on the way home, we got less than 20 MPG
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #22
Name: Dave
Trailer: Seeking Bigfoot 25 RB
British Columbia
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Seriously Dave Trip to NOG hilly???that coming from a BC boy sounds strange not many hills unless your planning on going via the cascades....

Well- I'm not planning on JUST going to the NOG and straight back - Haven't "done" the Ory-gun coast for a few years, been about 20 years since we were last at Ory-Gun caves, want to see the air museum at Tillamook, want to revisit the dune buggies a bit further south, etc, so we'll likely take about 2 weeks to see a few things, and give "Max" a bit of a ("hmm - what does THIS button do?") workout. So far Max's only towing duties have been local and flat (out to Chilliwack & back twice, - once with a 16 foot cargo trailer, and once with Quatchi), besides one trip to Kelowna and back with a flat-deck (empty both ways- my buddy opted NOT to buy the car when we got there and saw it!) plus one short trip down to the border to deliver the race Camaro to its new (American) owner who met us at the truck X-ing.

Now to find caring new adoptive homes for "Babe the Blue Ox", the Boler 1700 and the 4Runner to get some room in the driveway so I don't have to keep parking Max and Quatchi in the street!

BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote