Getting hitched. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2015, 03:41 PM   #1

Name: Liz
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp
Arizona
Getting hitched.

I have 4 months of living in my 13' Scamp behind me and I still have this question: Is there an easy way for a solo camper to hitch up to the trailer? I've tried a back-up camera, those magnetic sticks with balls on top, and an EZHitch. For oe reason or another, none of them has improved on the jump-in-and-out-of-the-car method (I travel alone). Help!

I have a blog about traveling and camping that you might enjoy: thetentsoloist.wordpress.com.
The Tent Soloist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:59 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Trailer Hitch Guide Alignment
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:09 PM   #3

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
I like it!
Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:25 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I use these Magnetic Hitchin' Rods - Qworks HR01D - Trailer Towing Accessories - Camping World

I found the kind with the ball difficult to use. These when the stick gets knocked off the ball you're there, not 2" away. They may not work for everybody but they work for me.

You used to be able to buy a mirror that hung on tail gate for rear window of an SUV. Worked the best.

Trick. Always use your mirrors. When you turn around you get a different perspective and messes up your thinking. If you stay with mirrors you'll soon find it easy to hitch up. Also use the side mirrors when backing into a camping spot. At least it's always worked best for me.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:27 PM   #5

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I couldn't watch the clip on my iPad. No flash player available. With my Scamp Fith Wheel, and the trailer ball in the bed of a truck, the backup camera does me no good. I have one of those flags used for marking underground utilities, and have bent it to allow it to fit over the ball. I back up until the flag tilts, stop, get out and lowere the hitch onto the ball. It might or might not work with a bumper hitch, but it is cheap.