Getting my vintage mini truck ready for towing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #15

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Thanks for the tire info - looks like the truck is ready to go. That's presumably a load range D Light Truck tire (LT195/75R14). It's about the same size as is almost universally used with 3500 lb trailer axles (205/75R14), and thus with most 17' or so trailers - but not the Scamp 16', because Scamp thinks the same 13" tire is right for all sizes of trailer. If you changed the trailer's hubs to the available 6x5.5" pattern you could interchange wheels and tires with the trailer, as long as the wheel offset was close enough. Just more ideas for customization, not anything that's needed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
When comparing displacement, the rule of thumb is to double it. a 1L (10A) wankel is roughly equivalent to a 2.0L 4-banger. A 1.3L ( 13B ) wankel is similar in output and performance to a 2.5L 4-banger. That's typically how they are classed for racing...but they also restrict porting and rpms to make it fair for the piston engines.
Yes, that's the result of the racing politics, disregarding physical reality... but I think we should spare the normal people in the forum from a rotary engine classification debate.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #16

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
That truck is straight up adorable.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #17

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp 16
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If you changed the trailer's hubs to the available 6x5.5" pattern you could interchange wheels and tires with the trailer, as long as the wheel offset was close enough. Just more ideas for customization, not anything that's needed...
Yeah, I would love for the trailer to be 6x5.5. The wheels I have are actually 14" trailer wheels. I couldn't find an original set so these were the closest. 14x6 0-offset.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:09 AM   #18

Alberta
Quote:
Yeah, I would love for the trailer to be 6x5.5. The wheels I have are actually 14" trailer wheels... 14x6 0-offset.
The common Dexter Torflex #10 (and the same capacity 3500 lb leaf-spring beam axle) use the "545" hub group - named for the standard 5x4.5" bolt pattern - which includes 6x5.5" hub/drums as an alternative. Just swap the hub/drums and you're good to go!
Old 06-19-2013, 11:21 PM   #19

New Hampshire
Hi guys,

Since we last spoke, I've managed to get the brake controller installed and found a set of fender mirrors that won't mar the paint job. Oh, and the camper was delivered on Sunday!

I haven't loaded it up with gear yet but I did take it for a spin around the block. This included some 40 mph driving on curvy roads, a hill start, and a short 4% hill climb with a 55 mph speed limit.

Initial impressions:
I found myself driving about 35 mph in 3rd instead of typical 40-45 mph in 4th. 4th is definitely too tall for anything under 40 mph, even without a trailer attached, since the rpms drop below 2,000 and the rotary loses all sense of torque. The hill start was fine and the clutch wasn't a problem. Accelerating up the 4% grade from a stop wasn't a problem either and I gradually made it to 60 mph by the top without using full throttle. Braking from 60 to make a left turn was fine too but I didn't try an emergency stop. I still have to dial in the brake controller to get the right feel. While cruising at 35 I did experience a little porpoising over bumps. I may add more psi to the air shocks and/or rear tires to see if this firms things up, otherwise I'll get a WD hitch. Backing up into the driveway for the first time was a success. The mirrors weren't adjusted right so my wife helped a little (and that actually didn't really help since she doesn't understand how the trailer turns). Overall, I'm very impressed with what the truck can do. The trailer by no means goes unnoticed but with careful driving I should have no issues with short excursions. I'll have a more in depth review once I load it up with gear, but for now, here are a few photos...

Oh, and one other note, it looks like my hitch is about 1" too low. I think it should be fine, what do you think? All Uhaul had was a hitch that was 2" taller and I thought it was better to be low than high...if you think it's iffy, I will get something online.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:18 AM   #20

Alberta
Looks good!

Quote:
... it looks like my hitch is about 1" too low. I think it should be fine, what do you think? All Uhaul had was a hitch that was 2" taller and I thought it was better to be low than high...
I agree - a bit lower than level is fine.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #21

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
Truck looks awesome!....The combo looks even better!
Gotta love those Mazdas!....Our stable included a 1990 Miata and 2003 Protege Wagon....Both so fun to drive!
Have a great summer camping with your new rig!
Cheers!
Old 06-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #22

New Hampshire
I had an '03 Protege5 (wagon) as well. Loved that car. I put 100k on it and sold it to buy a Mazdaspeed6. Now that has 100k but I'll probably hold onto it until the camper is paid off.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #23

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
Quote:
I had an '03 Protege5 (wagon) as well. Loved that car. I put 100k on it and sold it to buy a Mazdaspeed6. Now that has 100k but I'll probably hold onto it until the camper is paid off.
We still have our wagon (90K and not a hiccup) but sadly no Miata....Two kids too many!....Post kids we will have another one....Such fun cars!

Our neighbour had a Mazdaspeed6...Such a hot looking car!...Great choice!
Old 06-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #24

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Casita patriot
Colorado
You are going to turn some heads for sure! Very nice combo.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #25

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Thanks for the update. The combo looks awesome ! Regarding the nose of it being low, I would wait until you decide yes or no on a WD hitch, because obviously it will have it's own ballmount/head, so you will be able to dial in the height with that.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #26

Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
California
Just read thru your thread on RV-Open roads, too. There were some really good comments in that thread about what might fail, etc. But it also sounds like you did your homework and planned ahead. To me, towing attitude/awareness is a part of the equation that can't be overlooked. All too easy to buy a big truck and "forget there's even a trailer back there"...and get into trouble that way. If you're going small, like you are, taking it easy and paying close attention is worth a lot.

Looks like an applicable year Ford Courier would pull up to 1800 kg, and while that really doesn't translate 100%, it suggests that you are in the ballpark. Keep us informed! And 1 inch nose down looks perfect.

Now we just need pictures of this rig at beautiful campsites!
Old 06-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #27

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Great looking setup Chris. Should turn some heads for sure.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #28

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Nice looking rig ya got there Chris. I love the Mazda rotary powered truck especially. Nothing cookie cutter about that baby!

Good luck with it, and keep us posted please!

Frank